Gamescom 2014: Rise of the Tomb Raider Is Xbox One Exclusive

13»

Comments

• qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If m$ wanna hurt Sony all they have to do is buy Capcom.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    If m$ wanna hurt Sony all they have to do is buy Capcom.

How so? Capcom ain't even making good games like that anymore. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a loss at all, but it's not like Capcom is the developer it was.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This generation has been so funny so far.Xbox fans look like ? going back o last year's E3.What y'all do with Kinect now that it's completely irrelevant? Looks like a great paper weight ROFL.

I use mine everyday
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Following the recent outcry surrounding Rise of the Tomb Raider's Xbox exclusivity, Eurogamer has released the full transcript of the Gamescom discussion it had with Xbox head Phil Spencer about the deal between Microsoft and Square Enix.

"I knew there would be some pushback when we came out. Certain people won't believe this: [the acquisition] doesn't come from an evil space.

"It comes from a space where there's an opportunity that maps really well with what we need in terms of the genre, and a partner that's looking for a partnership," Spencer said in an effort to dispel the idea that Microsoft acquired the deal to spite owners of other platforms. "Other people can do the deal, but it was a deal that fit well with us. And I think it could help the franchise in the long run and help Crystal and Square and us."

Because the exclusivity is timed and Microsoft does not own the IP, Rise of the Tomb Raider could possibly release on other platforms in the future. Spencer was hesitant to say anything about that, however, focusing on the fact that the Tomb Raider IP is not his property.

"I don't own the IP," he said. "So then when certain people start talking to me about, well, what is the future of the Tomb Raider franchise, it's not really something I can talk to. Just like if you were going to ask me what's going on with Dead Rising 6, I don't own that. So, when people want me to say, well can you tell us when or if it's coming to other platforms, it's not my job. My job is not to talk about games I don't own."

In response to a question of whether or not the acquisition is a response to Uncharted 4, Spencer confirmed that he was looking to build the Xbox portfolio and add something to compete with Sony's action-adventure series.

"I'm a big fan of Uncharted, and I wish we had an action adventure game of that ilk. We've started some, and we've looked at them. But we don't have one today of that quality. This is an opportunity," he said. "... When you think about our portfolio, if it was a sci-fi shooter, I probably wouldn't do that! I've got one of those! Or if it's a Gears competitor, or a Forza competitor, there are things I wouldn't go after. But this is one that clearly fit in our portfolio really well."

He continued to express his optimism about the future of the franchise on Xbox platforms. "I think it's a win/win. It's good for us. We've got certain needs out of it. I think it could be good for them [Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics].

"And, frankly — and I know a lot of people won't like this but I'll say it — I think it can be good for the franchise and good for gaming all up, because it's a franchise that's meant something, and we're going to be able to work with them and invest and try to put the marketing and everything else at a level, and we're active in working with them on the development of the game as well, to try to make it one of those franchises that stands out."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/08/18/why-microsoft-wanted-rise-of-the-tomb-raider
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So he wishes he had his own Uncharted, but developing a new IP is too much work, so MS will just throw some money at Square and make it timed.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So he wishes he had his own Uncharted, but developing a new IP is too much work, so MS will just throw some money at Square and make it timed.

then we it comes to PS+ a month later for free like the first one
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Officially confirmed as a full one year exclusive.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still getting uncharted
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll get it when the price drops. But her ? must jiggle during free run.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    First day cop when it comes out. Tbh I'm happy it didn't come out now cuz it's too many other games I have that Ima occupy my time . And besides j heard the sales were ? too ..