Anybody Got Any SOLUTIONS 2 This Fergusion Fiasco (Realistic or Otherwise) ???

Options
DarcSkies
DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in The Social Lounge
This is obviously not just about Mike Brown. If you're black you know it's about a long list of legitimate grievances from blacks -especially working class blacks.

So once this officer is either indicted or cleared by a Grand Jury and the protestors start to dwindle away what do you think we'll have gotten out of this and what should we want out of these protests?

1. CAMERAS CAMERAS CAMERAS: Federal law saying all police should be required to wear cameras. And if the feds don't have a right to tell local police what to do then mandate that no state shall have a city that employees officers who do not wear surveillance cameras at all times while on duty.

The system is set-up to help cops get away with murder. I even read where even though Darren Wilson may have killed Mike Brown execution style he may still only get 2nd Degree Murder because of the nature of his job.

Cameras eliminate the "White-said, Black-said" that happens each time this happens. There is no more talk about, "he MIGHT have been...He COULD have been..." we can just run the tape from the perspective of each officer on scene.

Of course just like in the case of Rodney King if the jury is stacked right by the Defense & and apathetic D.A. there can be a tape and the guy still walks. But Cop-Cams have reduced Police Brutality AND Police Brutality claims from people who were lying to sue.

2. INDEPENDENT CIVILIAN OVERSIGHT:

This isn't JUST a white vs. Black issue. It's really a COP vs. Black issue. Whites are just OK with it because they know they don't generally have to worry about it. Cops go easy on them for the most part and in the back of their mind they know that.

Each city should have an Independent Review Board for Officer misconduct. With Federal Civil Rights oversight (with people from the actual community in which the crime happened.)

3. TECHNOLOGY: make the tapes electronic and have saved copies of it in an undisclosed location off-limits to police officers.

If I can access a song miles from a server we should be able to download camera footage to a large storage device being able to pull it up when needed.

4. CONGRESS/State Legislature: HEY...I SAID REALISTIC AND UNREALISTIC LOL

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the only problem would be the cost of funding all of this
  • DarcSkies
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

Bruh, believe me black people across the Nation would donate like a muthfukka for this ? . I got $5000 on it no ? . Well worth it.

I'd think the only people against the ideas are police unions.
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The cost of going to trial and all that other ? ? they waste tax payers money on>>>>>>>

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And once everything's on camera and MFs actually see the cops abusing their authority, MFs need to stop capin' for them with that "only human" ? and prosecute those ? ? .

They need to be sentenced proportionately more harshly than non-cops for abusing their authority.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rasta. wrote: »

The cost of going to trial and all that other ? ? they waste tax payers money on>>>>>>>

yeah but the problem would be in first getting local police departments to accept it, there would be legal cost in that alone because best believe many of these ? ass cops will fight any change in the system.

what makes the most sense is often not implemented because the political, legal and economic cost is too high. So what we have to do is make the cost of not changing higher than the cost of changing.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DarcSkies wrote: »

Bruh, believe me black people across the Nation would donate like a muthfukka for this ? . I got $5000 on it no ? . Well worth it.

I'd think the only people against the ideas are police unions.

I'm throwing in my $5000 too
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    #2 should be #1

You don't need cameras if you have proper oversight and accountability. Cameras help but too often it doesn't quite capture the situation as it happened nor does it capture the whole situation.

My ideas are to comb through the police training manuals, require extensive firearms training that emphasizes different situations (darkness, items in suspects hands, runners, physical confrontations etc).

Stiffen punishments for shootings and other abuse. Automatic suspension without pay until shooting is cleared by Civilian oversight board, if shooting isn't cleared then the legal process for a criminal trial can begin and perhaps a civil settlement if necessary.

Force the administrators to make all records of shootings and other abuse public record (un-redacted) including officer's name, rank, time, place, name of citizen and their complaint.

Automatic suspension for officers that have more than 5 legitimate grievances (abuse, shootings, etc). Require them to pass a psychological evaluation in order to get back on the street.

The shooting of unarmed individuals should be treated the same across the board no matter if the shooter was a cop or civilian, their weapon should be taken and a thorough investigation should ensue to decide whether shooting was justified and legal or not.

• DarcSkies
    Options
    Automatic suspension for officers that have more than 5 legitimate grievances (abuse, shootings, etc). Require them to pass a psychological evaluation in order to get back on the street.

The shooting of unarmed individuals should be treated the same across the board no matter if the shooter was a cop or civilian, their weapon should be taken and a thorough investigation should ensue to decide whether shooting was justified and legal or not.
    ^^^^ THIS
  • damnkp
    damnkp Members Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Keep white cops out of minority neighborhoods
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -Thomas Jefferson

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    A tactical thing but.....

A fund to stockpile gas masks for tear gas and ear plugs for LRAD in the future.
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All great ideas, but i think cameras would be a huge help
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ... 5 instances of abuse ?

? that could be 5 dead people. What's wrong with penalizing that MF on his 1st offense ?

And as far as training - stop training these MFs only to ? . That's simple enough.

Stop giving them overly powerful weapons since they obviously been misusing'em and the cops are the only ones who feel their weapons are necessary.
  • DarcSkies
    edited August 2014
    Options
    "The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -Thomas Jefferson
    Sadly this is true. If we didnt have so many house ? we'd be further than we are. But the Don Lemon's and Clarence THomas' of the world...

Which is my OTHER idea.

5. A WELL REGULATED MILITIA If those little ? wanna be tough and act hard give them some purpose. If you unemployed and dont have ? else to do out of HIgh School have them get with the old heads and form "groups," "divisions" or whatever you want to call it and do some community policing.

There wasn't a murder in that town that whole year so I know the banging cant be THAT bad if no bodies are dropping. Give them dudes a sense of purpose and pride. And its their Constitutional Right too.

Community policing. Walking up and down the street (armed) somebody doing some ? ? . They'll listen to you most likely instead of some cop they dont respect.

Probably pie in the sky though. But I believe a sense of community will work. Especially if it means you get to police yourself.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To be really real cops suck but they are the symptom of a larger problem.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    cameras.
    why do the cars there NOT have dashcams, yet they haven't gotten wearable cameras squared away?
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know ? , wanna act like theirs a resolution for them, within the dominant society, but it aint.
    When it's all said and done, this system's foundation, is based off of white supremacy.

The best resouloution is to start galvanizing nation wide, start building our communities, and creating black own business to support our own economics.
    Yea this was discussed in the Ferguson thread, but there's a time, and place
    At the time, we had to focus on making a statement, and put the nation on notice, enough is enough. Fergusson is doing that, and is getting , global support.
    Now its time to realize, we need to come together. Brains and Brawns.and do for self. Then start expanding globally. Marcus preached this 100 years ago.
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    And once everything's on camera and MFs actually see the cops abusing their authority, MFs need to stop capin' for them with that "only human" ? and prosecute those ? ? .

They need to be sentenced proportionately more harshly than non-cops for abusing their authority.

i concur. when anyone who enforces the law gets convicted they should get double the maximum punishment -without question
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    I know ? , wanna act like theirs a resolution for them, within the dominant society, but it aint.
    When it's all said and done, this system's foundation, is based off of white supremacy.

The best resouloution is to start galvanizing nation wide, start building our communities, and creating black own business to support our own economics.
    At the time, we had to focus on making a statement, and put the nation on notice, enough is enough. Fergusson is doing that, and is getting , global support.
    Now its time to realize, we need to come together. Brains and Brawns.and do for self. Then start expanding globally. Marcus preached this 100 years ago.

Continue...
    There's no room For us in thier society.
    you'd guess, the high figures of college degree having negroes , who can't get a decent job, would sink in ? skulls.
    Theyll let a few ? in, mainly the ? , by design. who instead of collectively come back , and attempt to assist their communities, to create opportunities for the young ,who are looking to get out, like other groups of people do.
    theyll fix there face to say, i made it, u can too, and accuse ? of wanting hand outs, and being lazy.
    Yes there are ? who want hand outs, them ? are irrelevant.
    There are ppl like i mentioned, who are striving, going to school or graduated, and cant get over the ? , cause their design not to get over it.

its important for like minded ? to come together, and create for our selves. Cause econmics is the base of everything .
    u want a millitia ,economics. political representation, economics. Better education, economics.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Continue...
    There's no room For us in thier society.
    you'd guess, the high figures of college degree having negroes , who can't get a decent job, would sink in ? skulls.
    Theyll let a few ? in, mainly the ? , by design. who instead of collectively come back , and attempt to assist their communities, to create opportunities for the young ,who are looking to get out, like other groups of people do.
    theyll fix there face to say, i made it, u can too, and accuse ? of wanting hand outs, and being lazy.
    Yes there are ? who want hand outs, them ? are irrelevant.
    There are ppl like i mentioned, who are striving, going to school or graduated, and cant get over the ? , cause their design not to get over it.

its important for like minded ? to come together, and create for our selves. Cause econmics is the base of everything .
    u want a millitia ,economics. political representation, economics. Better education, economics.

Cosign everything you're saying, but one step at a time. Most of us aren't even close to that level yet. We still think integration is a good thing (a la MLK Jr.), and we'll use our personal relationships with specific white people to disregard or dismiss all of the evident systematic racism we go through as an entity.

Right now the TS' solution is much more realistic because it's particular to an event that is gaining national coverage, and even the rest of the world is starting to catch vapors. Majority of people know how cops like to abuse their power, compared to a very small amount of people who understand the root cause of all of this chaos.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    also, let's add this quote:
    The most basic problem is that we will never know for certain what happened. Why? Because the Ferguson cruiser did not have a camera recording the incident. That's simply not credible. "Law" "enforcement" in Ferguson apparently has at its disposal tear gas, riot gear, armored vehicles and machine guns ...but not a dashcam. That's ridiculous. I remember a few years ago when my one-man police department in New Hampshire purchased a camera for its cruiser. It's about as cheap and basic a police expense as there is.

Last year, my meek mild-mannered mumsy office manager was pulled over by an angry small-town cop in breach of her Fourth Amendment rights. The state lost in court because the officer's artful narrative and the usual faked-up-after-the-fact incident report did not match the dashcam footage. Three years ago, I was pulled over by an unmarked vehicle in Vermont and (to put it mildly) erroneously ticketed. In court, I was withering about the department's policy of no dashcams for unmarked cars, and traffic cops driving around pretending to be James Bond but without the super-secret spy camera. The judge loathed me (as judges tend to), but I won that case. In 2014, when a police cruiser doesn't have a camera, it's a conscious choice. And it should be regarded as such.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Google glass - if everyone is filming everything accountability can't be denied

A few years ago I wrote a dystopian short story where everyone is a cyborg and all minds are connected together on one server. Every thought, action, and emotion is kept on record in a database and time stamped. Essentially it would make deception impossible but eliminate privacy completely.
  • DarcSkies
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    Google glass - if everyone is filming everything accountability can't be denied

A few years ago I wrote a dystopian short story where everyone is a cyborg and all minds are connected together on one server. Every thought, action, and emotion is kept on record in a database and time stamped. Essentially it would make deception impossible but eliminate privacy completely.

That ? sounds both scary and cool at the same time.