Hamas admits kidnapping Israeli teens

Options
janklow
janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
wait, what?!

Hamas admits kidnapping Israeli teens
JERUSALEM — A senior Hamas leader has said the group carried out the kidnapping and killing of three Israeli teens in the West Bank in June — the first time anyone from the Islamic militant group has said it was behind an attack that helped spark the current war in the Gaza Strip.

Saleh Arouri told a conference in Turkey on Wednesday that Hamas’s military wing, the al-Qassam Brigades, carried out what he described as a “heroic operation” with the broader goal of sparking a new Palestinian uprising.

“It was an operation by your brothers from the al-Qassam Brigades,” he said, saying Hamas hoped to exchange the youths for Palestinian prisoners held by Israel.

Hamas has repeatedly praised the kidnappings, but Arouri, the group’s exiled West Bank leader, is the first member to claim responsibility. Israel has accused Hamas of orchestrating the kidnappings and identified two operatives as the chief suspects. The two men remain on the loose.

Arouri’s admission shows “Hamas has no qualms whatsoever about targeting innocent civilians,” said Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev.

The kidnappings of the three teens while they were hitchhiking on June 12, along with the discovery of their bodies two weeks later, sparked a broad Israeli crackdown on Hamas members throughout the West Bank. Hamas responded with heavy rocket fire out of the Gaza Strip, leading Israel to launch an aerial and ground invasion of the territory.

More than 2,000 Palestinians, most of them civilians, have been killed in the fighting, according to Palestinian and U.N. officials, while 67 Israelis have also been killed, all but three of them soldiers. An Egyptian effort to mediate a cease-fire collapsed this week, leading to a resumption of heavy fighting.

Arouri told the conference that Hamas “did not have the intention at this time to ignite a large battle.” He said his group did not believe Israel wanted a war either. “But Allah has chosen and willed that a large battle would be ignited,” he said.

Arouri is one of Hamas’ most senior figures. He founded Hamas’ military wing in the West Bank two decades ago and now commands the group’s operations in the area from exile in Turkey. He was deported several years ago in a deal that freed him from Israeli prison.

Earlier this week, Israel identified Arouri as the mastermind of an alleged plot to launch an uprising in the West Bank aimed at toppling Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

Comments

• janklow
    Options
    apparently, the admission is a little nuanced:
    Three Israeli teens kidnapped in the West Bank in June and later found dead were abducted by Hamas militants who did not inform the group leadership about the kidnapping, a Hamas official said Friday.
    Hamas executes 18 suspected informants
    Hamas vows revenge over rocket strikes

"At that time, the Hamas leadership had no knowledge about this group or the operation it had just carried," Saleh Aruri, a Hamas Political Bureau member, said in a statement from Doha, Qatar. "It turned out later, however, that they were members of Hamas."

Aruri said the operation to abduct the teens was not approved by the Hamas leadership or its military wing, the Qassam Brigades.

Tensions between Israel and Hamas ratcheted up June 30 after the bodies of three Israeli teenagers were found in the West Bank.

Israel blamed the disappearances and deaths on Hamas. "Hamas will pay," said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

The three bodies were found northwest of Hebron, according to the Israeli military.

The teens -- Eyal Yifrach, 19; Gilad Shaar, 16; and Naftali Frankel, a 16-year-old dual U.S.-Israeli citizen -- disappeared late June 12 or early June 13 from the Jewish settlement of Gush Etzion in the West Bank, the military said.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Interesting.....well, Hamas has a LONG way to go to catch up to the murder spree of the IDF and Benjamin Netanyahu.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Interesting.....well, Hamas has a LONG way to go to catch up to the murder spree of the IDF and Benjamin Netanyahu.

Wrong is wrong....
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2014
    Options

Wrong is wrong....

Understood but for all the babies and hospitals and sewer systems Israel destroys without caring, equal actions are bound to occur. Expect Israel to get a lot more of the hatred its sent towards the Palestinians, and then some. When you teach people hatred for a long time, ugly things start happening. Karma is never pretty....
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Let's see if Israel starts admitting it bombed those shelters and homes filled with innocent civilians on purpose now
  • Focal Point
    Options

Wrong is wrong....

Understood but for all the babies and hospitals and sewer systems Israel destroys without caring, equal actions are bound to occur. Expect Israel to get a lot more of the hatred its sent towards the Palestinians, and then some. When you teach people hatred for a long time, ugly things start happening. Karma is never pretty....

I concur, that's the world
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wrong is wrong....

3 kids got murked while Israel alone murdered over 500 Palestinian kids and wounded 1000.
    Im only talking about kids the numbers would increase if I added the adult casualties.
  • Focal Point
    Options
    MENACE... wrote: »

Wrong is wrong....

3 kids got murked while Israel alone murdered over 500 Palestinian kids and wounded 1000.
    Im only talking about kids the numbers would increase if I added the adult casualties.

So is wrong not still wrong, you justifying death for death with numbers???
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The IDF needs to firebomb those mutafuckas into submission or until they're all dead.
  • janklow
    Options
    well, let's step aside from the equivalency part and note this: didn't a ton of people flip out and claim it was total BS when Israel blamed Hamas for this?

moral of the story: investigate claims

• kingblaze84
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    well, let's step aside from the equivalency part and note this: didn't a ton of people flip out and claim it was total BS when Israel blamed Hamas for this?

moral of the story: investigate claims

Yeah, I agree let all investigations finish.

So with that being noted, I find it funny Israel doesn't want the United Nations' investigations into possible Israeli war crimes to continue. Even more ironic that Israel has refused to participate in war crime investigations in the past , I wonder why Israel would do that....
  • janklow
    Options
    So with that being noted, I find it funny Israel doesn't want the United Nations' investigations into possible Israeli war crimes to continue. Even more ironic that Israel has refused to participate in war crime investigations in the past , I wonder why Israel would do that....
    Israel's always taken the position that these things are biased, etc, etc, and i doubt they're the only country to do so in the face of things that look bad for them, so you know how that goes

• kingblaze84
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Israel's always taken the position that these things are biased, etc, etc, and i doubt they're the only country to do so in the face of things that look bad for them, so you know how that goes

Yeah but that approach does nothing to help Israel's horrible reputation worldwide.

http://listtoptens.com/top-10-most-hated-countries-in-the-world/

Top 10 Most Hated Countries In The World

Israel, based on worldwide polls and research, landed the #2 spot as being the second most hated nation in the world. Any guesses to where America landed on this list? No need to, I'm sure you already know. The scary thing is this poll was done in May 2014........
  • janklow
    Options
    Any guesses to where America landed on this list? No need to, I'm sure you already know. The scary thing is this poll was done in May 2014........
    i don't think my position that is poll is kind of bogus has changed, though

• kingblaze84
    Options
    Any guesses to where America landed on this list? No need to, I'm sure you already know. The scary thing is this poll was done in May 2014........
    i don't think my position that is poll is kind of bogus has changed, though

Why not? Other polls have shown the same
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always found it implausible that Hamas would be planning something that sounds like impulsive street thuggery. Goons acting of their own accord makes sense. Leaders wouldn't be happy about ppl goin out of pocket but once Pandora's Box is opened, it is what it is.

http://youtu.be/-Nus8PGZzVw

• janklow
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Why not? Other polls have shown the same
    it's not strictly about the result, it's that it's easy to get people to "hate" superpowers
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    I always found it implausible that Hamas would be planning something that sounds like impulsive street thuggery. Goons acting of their own accord makes sense. Leaders wouldn't be happy about ppl goin out of pocket but once Pandora's Box is opened, it is what it is.
    the interesting thing, though, i'd say, is that while it's plausible that Hamas didn't plan it (or even had nothing to do with it), people (and not just here) were righteously indignant when the accusation was first leveled.

is it reasonable to say it was ? from Israel, induced by torture? absolutely, but it was also reasonable to say they COULD have been involved.
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @janklow‌

You say it's easy to hate on superpowers. It's also easy to hate on nations that create the vast amount of problems worldwide that America does. I cannot for the LIFE of me think of the last time America actually "solved" a problem worldwide. This is despite the fact some Americans believe America has the right to try to solve problems everywhere across the world lol. It's beyond hating on a superpower, and more just disgust at how America's policies internationally are just a human plague of disaster at this point. Minus the aid we give to nations around the world, that's a nice thing, but America seems to destroy more lives worldwide then it saves. And even if my last point is incorrect, it's the perception that's out there right now. And I speak to MANY people who travel the world

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    since ww2 any piece and prosperity that the world has enjoyed has largely been due to the united states involvement in world affairs, has ameria made mistakes? yes but without it's influence the world descends into chaos and war. and alot of these mistakes were done in attempts to defeat communism which was a greater evil.

the western europeans have become complacent and are too ? to ensure world affairs don't become too brutal nato is basically an american funded organization. Eastern europe for the most part is relatively poor and in some parts is still under the influence of russia. russia is basically some kind of semi-dictatorship government

china is a moral less one party state, that if not for the influence of america in the region would most likely spark several wars in asia. War for the south asia sea and war for taiwan. this would most likely scare japan and the world would a major war on it's hands. NOT TO MENTION they keep the worlds craziest regime, north korea afloat.

In the middle east without america israel feels it's back is up against a wall and they commit genocide and war crimes on the arabs the likes of which would make what they do now seem like nothing. and quite frankly if not for america's restraining influence israel probably would have been much bigger today, taken the gaza strip the entire west bank and maybe even more.

• zombie
    edited August 2014
    Options
    The people that hate america, but live in america for all the ? they talk would not want to live in a world without america. USUALLY these are the people who have never lived outside the country or have poor understanding of history
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2014
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    since ww2 any piece and prosperity that the world has enjoyed has largely been due to the united states involvement in world affairs, has ameria made mistakes? yes but without it's influence the world descends into chaos and war. and alot of these mistakes were done in attempts to defeat communism which was a greater evil.

the western europeans have become complacent and are too ? to ensure world affairs don't become too brutal nato is basically an american funded organization. Eastern europe for the most part is relatively poor and in some parts is still under the influence of russia. russia is basically some kind of semi-dictatorship government

china is a moral less one party state, that if not for the influence of america in the region would most likely spark several wars in asia. War for the south asia sea and war for taiwan. this would most likely scare japan and the world would a major war on it's hands. NOT TO MENTION they keep the worlds craziest regime, north korea afloat.

In the middle east without america israel feels it's back is up against a wall and they commit genocide and war crimes on the arabs the likes of which would make what they do now seem like nothing. and quite frankly if not for america's restraining influence israel probably would have been much bigger today, taken the gaza strip the entire west bank and maybe even more.

Much of the world is ALREADY in a state of chaos and war. And we see how nosy America is unable to stop it. Is America able to stop the massive chaos going on in the Middle East? Hell no, in fact it's largely responsible for creating most of this chaos. Saddam Hussein kept Iraq together but noooooo, stupid, nosy Americans just HAD to get involved. America is pretending to be a saving force in Iraq now but the reality is America is only escalating the problems in the Middle East by its constant bombing campaigns. The bombing campaigns America is doing there is only uniting the Sunni world into hating Americans and the west more. That's why the White House is so scared of ISIS now, they know the bombing campaigns have only united ISIS. There was a time when ISIS was not getting along with some Sunni tribes in Iraq, well the American bombing campaign has predictably ended that strife. ISIS is more united then ever before.

We agree Europe has been soft when it comes to confronting problems but that doesn't mean America has to once again dive into war planning there. If Europeans hate Russia so much, then let them tag team against Russia on their own. I give Obama lots of props for not escalating the situation in Ukraine with battles against Russia, something stupid Republicans seem to want to do. Europeans have money, if they REALLY wanna fight their own battles they can. They just know ignorant, busy body Americans are always willing to play Captain Planet, so they will do nothing until that attitude changes.

America's influence in Asia is somewhat positive when it comes to reigning in Japan but that has more to do with China's rise then anything America specifically is doing. China has the 2nd most powerful military in the world, that's enough to keep Japan in check anyway. China is not the same nation it was in the 40s. By the way, you may want to check out what polls of Asians say about Americans. Polls I've seen show Asians agree with me worldwide, do you realize how many anti-American demonstrations take place in the Asian world??

Regarding Israel, America's influence with Israel is there only because AMERICA HELPS Israel with its ethnic cleansing and apartheid of evil. If America pulls its political favors, bullets, missiles, airplanes, and shrapnel away from Israel, Israel would be in trouble financially because it cannot maintain its evil apartheid state without American support. If Israel tried to commit genocide and steal even more land then it does now without American support, then best believe Israel would be ostracized from the world community even more, and it wouldn't be worth it for them to continue as they are now. America's influence in the Middle East is VERY evil, and the people of the Middle East aren't stupid. They see America exactly for what it is, an imperial, MORALLY BANKRUPT nation searching for resources and ways to keep the petro dollar on top. Through the blood and missing body parts of millions around the world.
  • kingblaze84
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Here is an anti-American and anti-Obama protest in the Phillipines, out of all places. Notice all the burning of American flags, and notice how often the protestors call Americans terrorists, a very popular opinion in Asia according to my Filipino homegirl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tavFYp8EpQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq5shMPTPeQ

• kingblaze84
    Options
    The people that hate america, but live in america for all the ? they talk would not want to live in a world without america. USUALLY these are the people who have never lived outside the country or have poor understanding of history

People are renouncing their American citizenship all the time, and are choosing to move into other countries. It's a growing movement among Americans who are getting more and more disgusted with how our tax payer dollars are being used. Some just want lower taxes in other nations, but I bet most are just disgusted with the direction America is taking now. It's a constant war machine that is creating more and more enemies worldwide, and it's gonna reach a level where it's not even safe to be an American if this keeps up. It's one reason I'm considering leaving America one day.
  • zombie
    Options

Much of the world is ALREADY in a state of chaos and war. And we see how nosy America is unable to stop it. Is America able to stop the massive chaos going on in the Middle East? Hell no, in fact it's largely responsible for creating most of this chaos. Saddam Hussein kept Iraq together but noooooo, stupid, nosy Americans just HAD to get involved. America is pretending to be a saving force in Iraq now but the reality is America is only escalating the problems in the Middle East by its constant bombing campaigns. The bombing campaigns America is doing there is only uniting the Sunni world into hating Americans and the west more. That's why the White House is so scared of ISIS now, they know the bombing campaigns have only united ISIS. There was a time when ISIS was not getting along with some Sunni tribes in Iraq, well the American bombing campaign has predictably ended that strife. ISIS is more united then ever before.

We agree Europe has been soft when it comes to confronting problems but that doesn't mean America has to once again dive into war planning there. If Europeans hate Russia so much, then let them tag team against Russia on their own. I give Obama lots of props for not escalating the situation in Ukraine with battles against Russia, something stupid Republicans seem to want to do. Europeans have money, if they REALLY wanna fight their own battles they can. They just know ignorant, busy body Americans are always willing to play Captain Planet, so they will do nothing until that attitude changes.

America's influence in Asia is somewhat positive when it comes to reigning in Japan but that has more to do with China's rise then anything America specifically is doing. China has the 2nd most powerful military in the world, that's enough to keep Japan in check anyway. China is not the same nation it was in the 40s. By the way, you may want to check out what polls of Asians say about Americans. Polls I've seen show Asians agree with me worldwide, do you realize how many anti-American demonstrations take place in the Asian world??

Regarding Israel, America's influence with Israel is there only because AMERICA HELPS Israel with its ethnic cleansing and apartheid of evil. If America pulls its political favors, bullets, missiles, airplanes, and shrapnel away from Israel, Israel would be in trouble financially because it cannot maintain its evil apartheid state without American support. If Israel tried to commit genocide and steal even more land then it does now without American support, then best believe Israel would be ostracized from the world community even more, and it wouldn't be worth it for them to continue as they are now. America's influence in the Middle East is VERY evil, and the people of the Middle East aren't stupid. They see America exactly for what it is, an imperial, MORALLY BANKRUPT nation searching for resources and ways to keep the petro dollar on top. Through the blood and missing body parts of millions around the world.

My post was to give historical perspective to what america has done since ww2 since you wrongly claim that we have brought chaos to the world when in reality The world is for the most part is stable and not in chaos only the middle east and basically anyplace islam is the major religion is there such major upheaval and saddam kept iraq together because of america we put him in power in the first place.

and america is not reigning in japan we are basically limiting china's power in the region by supporting japans rearming. japan is an open and free democracy today and one of the world's most powerful nations it's china we want to keep in check. people will always have some ? gripe with america because we keep the world in order so they will cry and ? but they don't really want us gone, especially in certain areas of the world. the europeans have money but no guts and that's because we have been providing them security ever since ww2 ended, so that they can indulge in their welfare states and allow us to ensure the world economic system keeps on living.

and like i keep telling you america will eventually have to take care of isis one way or the other it has no choice, i can't wait for obama to get out of office his foreign policy has been a disaster in the middle east and the sunni world was already united in hate for america way before obama.

nothing we do now is going to make them hate less. so lets just do what is in the interest of america and her friends israel has to be an apartheid state if it wants to keep existing and it will keep existing now matter what the international community feels.
  • zombie
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Here is an anti-American and anti-Obama protest in the Phillipines, out of all places. Notice all the burning of American flags, and notice how often the protestors call Americans terrorists, a very popular opinion in Asia according to my Filipino homegirl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tavFYp8EpQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq5shMPTPeQ

You hate america so much leave try living in the philippines with your home girl and see how much you like it, that nation is currently scared shitless of china guess who they will run to if ? gets to deep?? not europe