Is The Rap/Hip-Hop Industry Hard To Break In? (Like Starting A Rap Career or DJ'ing?)

GorillaWitAttitude
GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
edited August 2014 in The Reason
MY Final Thread For A While

This ISN'T for me, but I do know people who Rap in my area. Plus, I have relatives who are doing music. I just wanted to know is it hard to get in the Rap game? Like, what do you need to be successful in it? Because I just look at it as a fan and not a business point of view. If anyone does know please tell me. Then maybe I can give a few cats I know some advice.

nas14q-4-web.jpg

1318269799-_mg_7328.jpg

writtenhouse-crowd.jpeg

1024px-Chiddy_Bang_@_RPI_.jpg

Comments

• Noble Al Lee
    Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is how youre going to school someone on how to break into the game, with 3rd party intel gathered off the internetz from other people who arent in the game..

Same it with me now..

LAWSE
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    If this is how youre going to school someone on how to break into the game, with 3rd party intel gathered off the internetz from other people who arent in the game..

Same it with me now..

LAWSE

I won't school them, but I can tell them what people in the game told me. Just the messenger that's it.
  • Noble Al Lee
    But they should definitely sell dope, shoot a ? , snatch up a white ? & hopefully one day theyll join gudda gudda in dem bushes cuh
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    But they should definitely sell dope, shoot a ? , snatch up a white ? & hopefully one day theyll join gudda gudda in dem bushes cuh

Now, i'm not gonna tell them to sell dope lol.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    people still DJ? lol
  • OhMars
    OhMars Members Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    I don't think anyone here is in the "game".
  • Noble Al Lee

Lmao. But shooting a ? is fair game. You cold bruh

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    MY Final Thread For A While

clapping-crowd-applause.gif

• GorillaWitAttitude

Lmao. But shooting a ? is fair game. You cold bruh

I don't agree with that ? either.
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not what you know but who you know. Or so it seems. We're not in the game. That's why these boards are here for the most part.
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or as the Triple OG Fredro Starr would say
    "Do ya Googles ? "
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most important advice I could give you (or anybody) is don't say anything behind anybody's back that you wouldn't say to their face, which is pretty much what we do all day on this message board.

For example you could call a certain artist's album "totally wack" and then bump into him backstage at a show. Then you'll have to call his album 'totally wack' to his face or else you look like a ? that talks ? about people behind their back.

That's why I couldn't make it in the industry (it's not a game) when I was younger. I'd be high and start talking trash about people. Then I'd bump into the person and feel stupid.
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard because ? hate on and don't support one another.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, is it hard to break in... Bruh it's hard to get so called hip hop heads to even listen to u, let alone break in, check out the rapper or beatmaking thread tho, lotta talent
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    Of course.

Unless you're a half Jewish, Canadian, former child actor.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Lol, is it hard to break in... Bruh it's hard to get so called hip hop heads to even listen to u, let alone break in, check out the rapper or beatmaking thread tho, lotta talent
    Alright, I'll check them out. Still, it's not for me, but thanks.
  • macadonwoo
    macadonwoo Members Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    really bro, ugh get a microphone and a youtube account, Print up some posters ,hit the booth then the streets. Try it for a few years , If you still only got 3 views grab a belt and do the Robin Williams . R.I.P.
    <:-P
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    macadonwoo wrote: »
    really bro, ugh get a microphone and a youtube account, Print up some posters ,hit the booth then the streets. Try it for a few years , If you still only got 3 views grab a belt and do the Robin Williams . R.I.P.
    <:-P
    ? ........what?
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starting a rap career is not hard, its being successful that takes time... Dont look to the overnight success stories because 9/10 it will just mislead you. Stick to what you naturally create, consistently drop new stuff and eventually if you have talent, a look or a sense of humor people will notice

Really depends on how you define success
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Starting a rap career is not hard, its being successful that takes time... Dont look to the overnight success stories because 9/10 it will just mislead you. Stick to what you naturally create, consistently drop new stuff and eventually if you have talent, a look or a sense of humor people will notice

Really depends on how you define success

Thanks for the drop man. I guess I can tell people that I know some of this information.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright, I'll check them out. Still, it's not for me, but thanks.

Word, from my experience, where u at matters, there are ? in a barrel everywhere but it's harder in most towns not named ATL or la , and even more so in small towns with weak or no radio presence which is where I'm at, also I'd suggest team members, I mean real team ? not tha ? who'll do work for u when it's just fun but disappear when its time to put money up, and try to connect with people(management, promoters, etc) distinguish those really bout bidness from high cappers, that's what I'm tryna do after I get my cash RIGHT(yes with. Capital letters)
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look at it this way

In just about anything you want to do in life and you want be very successful at it, it will be very hard to get there.

Success varies from person to person but in general cases getting on would be some type of deal with a successful single and doing shows.

Odds are against you that's why I'm doing music and going to school. I figure I'll beat the odds at one of them.

Gotta be able to grind, communicate, build relationships and you have to be really good at something.
    We can talk ? all day about the radio but crafting a hit isn't easy.

The internet is a gift and a curse. Tons of bs out there so you have to be able to stand out. I ain't got the answers but imma try and see how far I get.
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gots to drop your name everywhere and be on every piece of social media ..... attend all music related events ..... have two dope mixtapes (one on other peoples beats & one on original tracks) circulating on the cloud, datpiff, & youtube ...... you need a freestyle on deck at all times ..... keep a stack of cd's to hand out to, if not the somebody .... that somebody who knows somebody .....

Find a photographer (preferably one with photoshop skills) who will work for cheap ...... fresh out of high school or still in college. You need a couple good pics to go with your bio ..... people like to put a name to a face .... build your own wiki page

Have your friends call the radio stations to request your song or give you a shout out ...... the people at the station will be like "Who?" and they'll go and do the googles on you

Now a days record labels don't want to build a artist .... seems as if they only take notice if you already have some type of buzz or name in these estreets

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far everybody has given good advice but there's something we all overlooked.

MAKE A HIT SONG THAT PEOPLE WILL GET UP AND DANCE TO AT A PARTY/NIGHTCLUB

You could be the most skilled MC in the world and have some nice mellow beats. But that's not what makes people take notice. People (nightclub owners and DJs) take notice when your song comes on and people get up out of their seats and rush the dance floor. Not saying that your whole album should be all dance tracks, but you need at least two club bangers to promote the album. Also, it's songs like that that you can perform at shows to get the crowd hype. 20 years from now people will remember the party songs that made people get up and dance.

QUESTION

1. What do you remember most about Eric B and Rakim?

2. What do you remember most about Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock?

Rakim was clearly the better MC but people remember Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock for It Takes Two. That's the song that the DJ plays at weddings and family reunions that gets people on the dance floor. Rob Base will eat off that song for the rest of his life (not really because he didn't clear the sample and had to give up 100% of the publishing but you get my point)

Looking back, I wish Rakim rapped over that It Takes Two beat.