SPINOFF: Third Albums that are better than Sophmore Album

13»

Comments

• Kalecrunch
    Kalecrunch Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol i actualy dug the "Sunshine" video was kinda dope to me also*shrugs*

Check The Game's Sunshine freestyle also.

Also the cohesiveness argument is stupid. Who actually cares about the arrangement of songs on a album? That what a next song button is for.

The only skippable tracks on Vol 2 are the singles that got crazy radio/video play 'Money Ain't a Thing" "Hard Knock Life" and "Can I Get A" which were smash hits.

Some of the best production of Swizz Beatz and Timbaland's career is on Vol 2

..."only talk about jewels, do fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?"

I think might have to bumb up the old Vol2 appreciation thread again.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Nope cohesiveness is a valid argument. You cats are conditioned by the new ways albums are presented. Albums used to generally have a theme and songs flowed together. Just like a movie there was a beginning middle and end. Vol 2 was a bunch of songs put together. The album was good for what it was, but it's not seeing Vol 1.
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol that's the only bad songs on the album tho.
    5 Grand wrote: »

^^^ Yeah but if you take off those 3 songs it could have been a 5 mic classic.

thats my point - vol 2 IMO has no skippable tracks and the production is not even comparable

5th Letter wrote: »
    Nope cohesiveness is a valid argument. You cats are conditioned by the new ways albums are presented. Albums used to generally have a theme and songs flowed together. Just like a movie there was a beginning middle and end. Vol 2 was a bunch of songs put together. The album was good for what it was, but it's not seeing Vol 1.

i agree albums that have a theme it sticks too are a better listen in general (they usually end up being classic albums).

I bet the whole cohesive argument comes due to the fact streets is watching dvd was the visual version of vol 1

we'll have to agree to disagree on this one

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed but Vol 1 was just never cohesive to me, I don't think any of the volumes were all that cohesive to be honest, a lot of great tracks mixed with ? and commercial hits, people say Jay has a lackluster catalog and the Volumes are the epitome of that, RD and Blueprint now those are cohesive
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed but Vol 1 was just never cohesive to me, I don't think any of the volumes were all that cohesive to be honest, a lot of great tracks mixed with ? and commercial hits, people say Jay has a lackluster catalog and the Volumes are the epitome of that, RD and Blueprint now those are cohesive

Those 3 songs you named ruined Vol 1 IMO.

But it's all a matter of opinion.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Girls Like is the only problem with Vol 1 imo. Everything else is fire.
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought American Gangster was cohesive.
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lex diamond story
    Marshall mathers
    Murda muzik

Maybe its just me but i think Hell on earth vs Murda Musik top to bottom is debatable. Murda Music isnt definitively a step ahead unless you talking commercially but song for song Hell on earth to me may have more fire.
  • DR. JEK
    aka_OG wrote: »
    Kalecrunch wrote: »
    Vol2+Hard+Knock+Life+hkl.jpg

i dont get why vol 2 got soo many no-signs and flags

where were y'all when the album came out? even jay-z admitted he wished he could have re-recorded that album (HIS least fav). It was ok, but rarely heard anyone big it up - guess the IC is the home of the anomaly...

y'all REALLY think these tracks hold weight on any list?
    - I Know What Girls Like (i dont think ive ever heard this song to the end till this day...)
    - The City Is Mine
    - (Always Be My) Sunshine

Thank you my ? ,

I went back n forth wit some jigga warriors six months ago about vol 1 vs vol 2 and i remember askin the same exact question. ? is really bumping sunshine and city is mine without being embarassed?
  • DR. JEK
    Its alright >>>> the whole vol 2 with the exception of streets is watching
  • DR. JEK
    Money cash hoes and reservior dogs is shittin on just about any song on vol 1 also.