If there was a Hip Hop Hall of Fame... Who would be In and eligible future wise

joeyfkncrakk
joeyfkncrakk Members Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was just thinking at work day dreaming if there was a hall of fame for the Hip Hop who would be in Nd which guys still going or at the end of their careers deserve to be in the HOF... I can say for myself as a 25 year old hip hop fan from the Tupac/Biggie death to the rise of 50 cent, to Lil Wayne dominating the airwaves with every song, JayZ vs Nas etc etc ... A lot of platinum and gold plaques were achieved by many artists... And just like an NBA/NFL HOF a lot of artists make the fame from various achievements and stats that prove their worth to the game.... Who do y'all say is a a HOF'er and which artist may be on the cusp or need to do more to make their case as an All Timer... This should be fun, don't act like hoes be reasonable and understanding of every1s claim and let's find the all timers... Just be fair and don't take this thread another route from the purpose... I will post mine later, let's work

Comments

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ummm....I thought there was a HOF for this.

vh1 sucks for taking that off, by the way.
  • joeyfkncrakk
    Rock n roll hall of fame is all I've ever heard of... Hip Hop ain't Rock
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure there is a hall of fame, isn't that where Nas messed up the lyrics to Pac's keep ya head up and Lupe didn't know the lyrics to a tribe song and got crucified for it?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame your first song has to be at least 25 years old, or stated another way, you have to have been around for at least 25 years.

2014 - 25 = 1989

Off the top I'd say,

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5
    The Treacherous 3
    Run DMC
    LL Cool J
    Eric B and Rakim
    Boogie Down Productions/KRS One
    Whodini
    Salt N Pepa
    Big Daddy Kane
    Slick Rick
    Dougie Fresh
    NWA
    Public Enemy
    Beastie Boys

• kuskklassic
    kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    In the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame your first song has to be at least 25 years old, or stated another way, you have to have been around for at least 25 years.

2014 - 25 = 1989

Off the top I'd say,

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5
    The Treacherous 3
    Run DMC
    LL Cool J
    Eric B and Rakim
    Boogie Down Productions/KRS One
    Whodini
    Salt N Pepa
    Big Daddy Kane
    Slick Rick
    Dougie Fresh
    NWA
    Public Enemy
    Beastie Boys

all of those names plus....

Afrika Bambata
    DJ Kool Herc
    DJ Marley Marl
    Queen Latifah
    Ice T
    MC Lyte
    Heavy D & The Boys
    Kurtis Blow
    DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
    Kool Moe Dee
    Kool G Rap
    2 Live Crew

would all be inducted within the first 3 years of the Hall (if it existed)
  • joeyfkncrakk
    Jay
    Nas
    Eminem
    PAC
    Biggie
    ... Should be unanimous
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These threads always produce the most obvious names. HOF shouldn't be limited to old head fan favorites.

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HOF shouldn't be limited to old head fan favorites.

I'm an old head and I approve this message.
  • spayspay
    spayspay Members Posts: 428 ✭✭✭
  • 5 Grand
    Jay
    Nas
    Eminem
    PAC
    Biggie
    ... Should be unanimous

None of those rappers have been around for 25 years. If we're going by the same criteria as the rock n roll hall of fame.
  • O.G.
    Jay
    Nas
    Eminem
    PAC
    Biggie
    ... Should be unanimous

None of those rappers have been around for 25 years. If we're going by the same criteria as the rock n roll hall of fame.

Who said we are using the same criteria? Rock & Roll has been around since the 50's. That 25 year waiting period is more suitable for that genre. By forcing a 25 year waiting period for hip hop you are basically limiting the selection to old school rappers only. That's wack imo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=409Pjtq7jzY

• spayspay
    spayspay Members Posts: 428 ✭✭✭
    O.G. wrote: »
    Who said we are using the same criteria? Rock & Roll has been around since the 50's. That 25 year waiting period is more suitable for that genre. By forcing a 25 year waiting period for hip hop you are basically limiting the selection to old school rappers only. That's wack imo.

Who cares what the genre is. You should have to wait 25 years to make sure you're worthy. Otherwise, anyone who puts out a hot song could make the HOF. Hall Of Fames by definition are for the old school.
  • 5 Grand
    Jay
    Nas
    Eminem
    PAC
    Biggie
    ... Should be unanimous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=409Pjtq7jz

You say Rock N Roll has been around since the 50s. But the Rock N Roll Hall of fame was created in 1986. So when the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame started in 1986, you had to be around for 25 years. So in the first round of voting, only people who had been around since 1961 (1986-25=1961) we're inducted.

It makes sense because some rappers are hot right now but we'll see how much of an impact they made in 25 years.
  • joeyfkncrakk
    ? ? you fuqn ? up... I'm talking about which rappers that we have seen through these years deserve to say that they are famer worthy, specifically going off catalogue, numbers, and respectability as a lasting figure in music of hip hop.. Include the all acts of rap, this is OUR Hall of fame, not the rock HOF rules...

• O.G.
    It doesn't take 25 years to determine your impact. IMO some of those old school acts were popular bcuz they were the only few acts out at the time. They were popular by default. NBA,NFL,MLB you gotta wait 5 years after retirement. I think if you been in the industry 10 years you should be eligible. For example. Nate Dogg is a hall of famer. I don't need to wait 25 years to know that. His impact on the game was felt immediately. Do we really need to wait 25 years to know if Kanye is a hall of famer?
  • 5 Grand
    Well there's another issue. Older rappers get forgotten as the years go by. if you did a poll on the IC right now rappers like Lil Wayne and Drake would be the most popular. But if you're really serious about the culture and grew up in the 80s like I did, living and breathing Hip Hop it's very frustrating that the rap groups that I grew up on are damn near forgotten.

that's the point of a Hall of Fame, to Mae sure that people who put in work in the early days aren't forgotten, MCs and crews that carried Hip Hop on their back before MTV was playing rap, before The Source, before Red Alert and Mr magic.

I'm taking it back to Harlem World, The Audobon Ballroom,The T-Connection, The Ecstacy Garage, The Fever, Cedar Park and of course 1520 Sedgwick Ave in The Boogie Down Bronx.

How silly would a Hip Hop Hall of Fame look that doesn't acknowledge the Pioneers in the first round of inductions.

? wanna induct Kanye West before Grandmaster Flash. SMH.
  • O.G.
    edited August 2014

1-that's the point of a Hall of Fame, to Mae sure that people who put in work in the early days aren't forgotten

2-? wanna induct Kanye West before Grandmaster Flash. SMH.

1- the purpose of the hall is to recognize the greatest of the greats.

2- Never said that at all. I'm saying that all pioneers should not be in the hall just bcuz they were pioneers. Just bcuz you were known for rockin basement parties in NYC does not automatically make you a hip hop great.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    It doesn't take 25 years to determine your impact. IMO some of those old school acts were popular bcuz they were the only few acts out at the time. They were popular by default. NBA,NFL,MLB you gotta wait 5 years after retirement. I think if you been in the industry 10 years you should be eligible. For example. Nate Dogg is a hall of famer. I don't need to wait 25 years to know that. His impact on the game was felt immediately. Do we really need to wait 25 years to know if Kanye is a hall of famer?

Lil Boosie been around since 2000, so did he do enough to get in the HOF? He did carry Baton Rouge on his back though and made it pop .
  • 5 Grand

Never said that at all. I'm saying that all pioneers should not be in the hall just bcuz they were pioneers. Just bcuz you were known for rockin basement parties in NYC does not automatically make you a hip hop great.

Wrong. The pioneers should be in the Hall of Fame by virtue of the fact that they're pioneers. If you can't understand that then you don't understand the purpose of a Hall of Fame.

Now I could make a list of early Bronx/Harlem DJs and MCs. Not saying they should all be inducted, but if it wasn't for the pioneers Hip Hop would have never spread. I'm talking about guys like,

Disco King Mario
    Jazzy Jay
    Infinity Machine
    The L Brothers
    Grandmixer DST
    Lovebug Sarski
    Eddie Cheeba
    DJ Hollywood
    DJ Plummer
    DJ Mayoba
    Grandmaster Flowers

^^^^ Those guys never had platinum records or videos, hell most of the people on the IC probably never heard of those guys and can't say what they're known for, but if it wasn't for those guys, Run DMC would have never heard of Hip Hop, LL Cool J would have never heard of Hip Hop, Rakim would have never heard of Hip Hop, Kane, G Rap, etc. without those guys there's no NWA, Public Enemy, no Tupac, Big, Nas, etc...
  • O.G.

Never said that at all. I'm saying that all pioneers should not be in the hall just bcuz they were pioneers. Just bcuz you were known for rockin basement parties in NYC does not automatically make you a hip hop great.

Wrong. The pioneers should be in the Hall of Fame by virtue of the fact that they're pioneers. If you can't understand that then you don't understand the purpose of a Hall of Fame.

Now I could make a list of early Bronx/Harlem DJs and MCs. Not saying they should all be inducted, but if it wasn't for the pioneers Hip Hop would have never spread. I'm talking about guys like,

Disco King Mario
    Jazzy Jay
    Infinity Machine
    The L Brothers
    Grandmixer DST
    Lovebug Sarski
    Eddie Cheeba
    DJ Hollywood
    DJ Plummer
    DJ Mayoba
    Grandmaster Flowers

^^^^ Those guys never had platinum records or videos, hell most of the people on the IC probably never heard of those guys and can't say what they're known for, but if it wasn't for those guys, Run DMC would have never heard of Hip Hop, LL Cool J would have never heard of Hip Hop, Rakim would have never heard of Hip Hop, Kane, G Rap, etc. without those guys there's no NWA, Public Enemy, no Tupac, Big, Nas, etc...

? you might as well let every B-Boy,Graffiti artist and every D.J and M.C. that ever appeared on a party flyer pre 1977 in the hall. The hall is for the greatest of the great. Guys who had an impact. What impact on the genre (not a certain individual) did ? like Disco King Mario,Infinity Machine,The L Brothers,DJ Plummer,DJ Mayoba & Grandmaster Flowers have ? Just bcuz Run's favorite rapper was Eddie Cheeba does not make Cheeba a pioneer worthy of hall of fame status.
  • 5 Grand

Disco King Mario
    Jazzy Jay
    Infinity Machine
    The L Brothers
    Grandmixer DST
    Lovebug Sarski
    Eddie Cheeba
    DJ Hollywood
    DJ Plummer
    DJ Mayoba
    Grandmaster Flowers

? you might as well let every B-Boy,Graffiti artist and every D.J and M.C. that ever appeared on a party flyer pre 1977 in the hall. The hall is for the greatest of the great. Guys who had an impact. What impact on the genre (not a certain individual) did ? like Disco King Mario,Infinity Machine,The L Brothers,DJ Plummer,DJ Mayoba & Grandmaster Flowers have ? Just bcuz Run's favorite rapper was Eddie Cheeba does not make Cheeba a pioneer worthy of hall of fame status.

Well, my initial post on page one had guys like Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC and LL Cool J. My original point was to induct the old school legends. But somebody said the pioneers don't deserve to be inducted simply because they were pioneers.

There's two classes of pioneers. There's guys like Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash and Sugarhill Gang who had hits and gold records in the early 80s. Then you have guys like Disco King Mario who loaned Afrika Bambaatta his sound system back in the early days so Bam could throw a jam in the parks.

All those guys I named were really the biggest names in Hip Hop at the time. I mean there was a point in time where if you really wanted to experience a Hip Hop party, you would go to a club where Lovebug Starski was spinning, or DJ Hollywood because there were no rap records yet.

I hope you're not suggesting we forget all the DJs and MCs that carried Hip Hop on their backs from 1973 until they started making rap records.

You could write a book on Hip Hop and start with Eminem but what's the point?