What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

What happened to rap groups?

af.r.i.c.a.af.r.i.c.a. Fuck your reactions Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
There aren't too many groups in hip hop anymore. Back in the golden era and even leading into the late 90s there were plenty of dope rap groups but now a days they are few a far in between nh. Have sub labels become the new groups? MMG GOOD YMCMB ect..
aaron-gordon-dunk-gif.gif

block.gif

Replies

• water ur seedswater ur seeds Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True, you dont get many anymore, but when they do come around they are normally mad corny...
    'The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters.'

aUPgli.gif
  • Jabu_RuleJabu_Rule Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    There have been a few groups that formed to release joint albums. You even have all these super gangs groups forming. Groups being on labels is nothing new. There has always been collectives like Juice Crew, Native Tongues, Death Squad, Dungeon Family. Badboy, Death Row and Rockafella always came as a crew and label with crews coming out of that. I guess they aren't as organic anymore coming out the gate but a few good Rap teams and Rapper\Producer duos have come along after the fact.

beyonce-jay-z-blue-ivy-bikes-7e423fe2-53e3-4784-9386-73b60ac360f5.jpg
  • Dave2one6Dave2one6 Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things always fall apart. I think Kendrick and nem could be a group, but they like NOPE, we gonna 1 by 1 that ass. pause.
    onthaflysapp08_2001
  • water ur seedswater ur seeds Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money.

Thats part of it, if a group is only selling 10,000/20,000 units, not 1/2mil... Then theres less money to go around, so being solo is defo more money...
    'The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters.'

aUPgli.gif
  • StillFaggyAFStillFaggyAF Queer LGBT CommunityPosts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dumb thread because there are a lot now

LvbxPzB.gif

tumblr_nhmcjbdFri1snb2l4o5_r1_500.gif
    full?d=1430459989

[Deleted User]sapp08_2001
  • MuhannadMuhannad Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I interpreted the thread wrong but what I got out of it is that ts was wondering why there ain't rap groups or duo's like a EPMD, Main Source, Organized Konfushion, Brand Nubian, Artifacts, Heltah Skeltah etc. like there were back in the day. These brothers came up together in alot of cases and had great chemistry together.

These groups like ymcmb and MMG ain't comparable.
    RawAcesapp08_2001Young Stef
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti32DaysOfInfiniti Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    I think there just as many groups these days, its just egos are so huge that you never see them last long enough to get big
    16_1_2.gif
    Ear2DaSt
  • WiseGuyyWiseGuyy Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like there's more groups of solo rappers now. Like Black Hippy Slaughterhouse & A$AP. I like it better that way
    tumblr_mizvm6qgBr1r416kro1_500.jpg
    tumblrmaevxpaggo1qhjxaa.gif
  • af.r.i.c.a.af.r.i.c.a. Fuck your reactions Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Btw there are a few groups out there that I like but it's not to many. I dig Flatbush Zombies.. Overdoz.. Run the Jewelz and there are a few more that slip my mind but in the 90s I could probably run off 50 groups better and it wouldn't even be close. I get that splitting money is a big deal but I don't think that's a major factor in there being less groups now.. in fact I think it's less of a factor now because rap is more profitable now then it was then and after establishing your group you can always put out solo projects when you get your buzz up.

block.gif
  • RawAceRawAce Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Name some good ones

DOPEdweebz
  • ViktorViktor Posts: 228 ✭✭
    Cause niggas can't work together, period. Jealousy, greed and envy is a maphuka. The only group that did it big IMO is Wu Tang.
    wife3.jpg
    5 GrandCashmoneyDuxdeakinoonetoughmiracle
    goldjordan wrote: »
    dat new g-unit droped

they trynna do something

G unit been around since like 2001 tho

block.gif
    sapp08_2001
  • BarryHallsBarryHalls Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    They're alive and well in the underground.
    03-029-A-Pulled-Pork-Sandwich-Homemade-Coleslaw_xl.jpg

o.jpg

bbq_chicken1.jpg

giphy.gif
    macadonwooEar2DaStJabu_Rule
  • iron man1iron man1 Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist Avengers TowerPosts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alot of these new groups didn't grow up with eachother like in the earlier days.
    tumblr_nycwg4lQ121qzco77o1_500.gif

Ear2DaSt
    BarryHalls wrote: »
    They're alive and well in the underground.

Names?

block.gif
  • qawshunqawshun Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lox need to stop bullshitting and drop. But I can't think of any 2 man teams since players circle and I didn't fuck with them either
    "lose money or lose sleep"
    daily_gifdump_123_05.giftumblr_me2cb1Jh511r74705o1_r1_500.gif[img][/img]ba1mo79oaeod.png
    CashmoneyDuxsapp08_2001Young Stef

Name some good ones

Flatbush zombies
    Underacheivers
    Square off
    Overdoz
    Asap mob
    Black hippy
    Bibby &herb
    Migos
    Pro era

In addition to rae srummurd, macklemore and ryan lewis, odd future, raider klvn , the rise of one producer one mc projects, and the rerise of crews (ymcmb ovo good mmg etc)
    Also old groups like gunit wu mobb making records again

Alot of yall seem out of touch with hip hop in 2014

Lol fuck outa here nigga you reaching with most of those and I have you the others. Good try tho.

block.gif
    Huey_CBarryHalls
  • 5th Letter5th Letter Black Identified Extremist Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Crews have taken over that lane. Groups were a great way rappers that can't hold down a song/album by themselves to get some shine.
    Fuck who's the baddest a persons status depends on salary
    That buck that bought that bottle could have struck the lotto

Name some good ones

Flatbush zombies
    Underacheivers
    Square off
    Overdoz
    Asap mob
    Black hippy
    Bibby &herb
    Migos
    Pro era

In addition to rae srummurd, macklemore and ryan lewis, odd future, raider klvn , the rise of one producer one mc projects, and the rerise of crews (ymcmb ovo good mmg etc)

Lol fuck outa here nigga you reaching with most of those and I have you the others. Good try tho.

i'm reaching or you just personally don't care for some of them? either way objectively groups have come back in hip hop

LvbxPzB.gif

full?d=1430459989

Lincoln[Deleted User]Jabu_RuleStoneColdMikey
    5 Grand wrote: »

Name some good ones

Flatbush zombies
    Underacheivers
    Square off
    Overdoz
    Asap mob
    Black hippy
    Bibby &herb
    Migos
    Pro era

In addition to rae srummurd, macklemore and ryan lewis odd future, raider klvn , the rise of one producer one mc projects, and the rerise of crews (ymcmb ovo good mmg etc)

@ the bolded. did you say Macklemore and Ryan Lewis to prove your point?

are they not a duo?

LvbxPzB.gif

full?d=1430459989