Underacheivers
    Square off
    Overdoz
    Asap mob
    Black hippy
    Bibby &herb
    Migos
    Pro era

In addition to rae srummurd, macklemore and ryan lewis, odd future, raider klvn , the rise of one producer one mc projects, and the rerise of crews (ymcmb ovo good mmg etc)
    Also old groups like gunit wu mobb making records again

Alot of yall seem out of touch with hip hop in 2014

Lol ? outa here ? you reaching with most of those and I have you the others. Good try tho.

i'm reaching or you just personally don't care for some of them? either way objectively groups have come back in hip hop

Your reaching.

Bibby and Herb ain't a group
    Who the ? is square off?
    Migos are poppin but.. come on bruh
    Rae Shremurd.. see Migos
    Raider clan.. Can't name one ? in that crew outside of SGP.

G unit Mobb deep ect don't count because they don't fit the criteria of the thread.

YMCMB GOOD ect technically ain't groups.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dumb thread because there are a lot now

Name some good ones

Flatbush zombies
    Underacheivers
    Square off
    Overdoz
    Asap mob
    Black hippy
    Bibby &herb
    Migos
    Pro era

In addition to rae srummurd, macklemore and ryan lewis, odd future, raider klvn , the rise of one producer one mc projects, and the rerise of crews (ymcmb ovo good mmg etc)

Lol ? outa here ? you reaching with most of those and I have you the others. Good try tho.

i'm reaching or you just personally don't care for some of them? either way objectively groups have come back in hip hop

Your reaching.

Who the ? is square off?
    Rae Shremurd.. see Migos

G unit Mobb deep ect don't count because they don't fit the criteria of the thread.

again like i said you're out of touch
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Name some good ones

Flatbush zombies
    Underacheivers
    Square off
    Overdoz
    Asap mob
    Black hippy
    Bibby &herb
    Migos
    Pro era

Your reaching.

Who the ? is square off?
    Rae Shremurd.. see Migos

again like i said you're out of touch

No I'm not. Your reaching and
    YouMad.jpg
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    and why am i mad africa?
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    Options
    They went away when ? found out they could get money going solo.
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? created this thread like Migos dont exist.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    creative differences..
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Name some good ones

Flatbush zombies
    Underacheivers
    Square off
    Overdoz
    Asap mob
    Black hippy
    Bibby &herb
    Migos
    Pro era

smh underachievers, blacc hippy, flatbush zombies, and asap go pretty hard.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »

Name some good ones

Flatbush zombies
    Underacheivers
    Square off
    Overdoz
    Asap mob
    Black hippy
    Bibby &herb
    Migos
    Pro era

smh underachievers, blacc hippy, flatbush zombies, and asap go pretty hard.

How a many albums black hippy got.. how many good albums ASAP got? I gave you fbz and underachievers are solid but the fact that I can name the good groups on one hand is a major red flag. I never said good groups don't exist I said they are few and far in between when in the 90s the pool of good to great rap groups was deep. From Organized Konfusion to The Pharcyde to 3 6 ect...
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    None of those groups mentioned had the impact of the groups I (and others) mentioned yesterday. Some of these new rap collectives are nice, but what have they done that wasn't done before and better? Have they set any trends (not talking wearing dresses and tight jogging pants but music wise). How much classic material have those new groups created?

I think we just have to accept that it's a different era.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jerry bodied this thread. If they make an impact or not wasn't part of the discussion.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    in 2014 honestly i prefer individual rappers versus groups. The last group that really had awesome chemistry and dope content had to probally be the lox. and honestly the 2000's and 2010's aint had a group damn near close the trib or de la soul or wu or outkast.
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Back in the golden era and even leading into the late 90s there were plenty of dope rap groups but now a days they are few a far in between nh.
    Dave2one6 wrote: »
    Things always fall apart. I think Kendrick and nem could be a group, but they like NOPE, we gonna 1 by 1 that ass. pause.

oh-no-its-monday-again.gif?w=400

It's 2014, y'all.

• Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? make a thread asking why there are no groups anymore

? list a plethora of groups that are currently active and have a following from every region of the country

? say "nah besides all them" lol
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

? list a plethora of groups that are currently active and have a following from every region of the country

All them meaning 3 or 4 groups.. yea you might need to look up the definition plethora
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

All them meaning 3 or 4 groups.. yea you might need to look up the definition plethora

No, I just think to answer your question directly is the "business model" of a traditional 90's style rap group that exists as one act while maybe having some solo projects split from it doesn't make as much sense in 2014.
    Btw there are a few groups out there that I like but it's not to many. I dig Flatbush Zombies.. Overdoz.. Run the Jewelz and there are a few more that slip my mind but in the 90s I could probably run off 50 groups better and it wouldn't even be close. I get that splitting money is a big deal but I don't think that's a major factor in there being less groups now.. in fact I think it's less of a factor now because rap is more profitable now then it was then and after establishing your group you can always put out solo projects when you get your buzz up.

@ the bolded that's not true.
    The increase, of 0.3 percent, was tiny, and the total revenue, $16.5 billion, was a far cry from the $38 billion that the industry took in at its peak more than a decade ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/technology/music-industry-records-first-revenue-increase-since-1999.html?_r=0

^^Excerpt from a New York Times talking about music industry revenue from 2012 as opposed to when revenue peaked in the 90s. Rap and every other genre of music is less profitable than in the 90s. Revenue declined steadily every year from 1999-2012.

You may have less "groups" but you got more "crews" like you said in OP, ie. MMG, GOOD Music, YMCMB, TDE, because they're more economical.

Say you have a group in the traditional sense like the Migos doing a show in one city..they can't demand more money for a show just because their act consists of 3 ppl as opposed to 1.

A crew wins here because 3 artists is 3 separate acts that can be doing 3 different shows in 3 different cities on the same night. Since 360 deals are the norm now and labels get a cut from show money, they're going to prefer more shows in one night. It's the same reason why in the 90s there used to be hella R&B groups and now there are like none at all. There's not enough money to go around in the eyes of these labels so they're not out here trying to sign groups. And since most up-and-coming artists's dream is to sign to a label(unfortunately) they're going to adapt to what they think a label is looking for.

• thuggathugga
    thuggathugga Members Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Options
    rapper's can barely survive now with the 360 deals yet alone a whole group
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Living Legends
    Hieroglyphics
    Binary Starr
    Army of Pharaohs
    Non Phixion
    Dilated Peoples
    Atmosphere (music group)
    Snowgoons
    Blackalicious
    J5
    People Under the Stairs

just to name a few.

Homie said Migos tho. foh
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is Migos not a rap group?
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is Migos not a rap group?

Migos is definitely a rap group, but because ? still think they opinion is fact, cause HE don't like them, they don't count
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BarryHalls wrote: »
    Living Legends
    Hieroglyphics
    Binary Starr
    Army of Pharaohs
    Non Phixion
    Dilated Peoples
    Atmosphere (music group)
    Snowgoons
    Blackalicious
    J5
    People Under the Stairs

just to name a few.

Homie said Migos tho. foh

Yeah but some of the groups you named are more than 10 years old. the hieroglyphics have been around for 20 years.

the T/S wants to know why there aren't more new groups.

• GunTown
    GunTown Members Posts: 3,489
    Options
    These rap groups are the best ever

G-Unit
    Dipset
    3-6 Mafia
    D12
    NWA

I would say as far as quality of music G-Unit is the greatest rap group ever. U only have to listen to their new E.P.. They make classic music
  • Talk_Of_NY
    Talk_Of_NY Members Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭
    Options
    tell all fell apart expect for D BLOCK And GGG G G GG G UNIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!