iPhone 6 & Apple iWatch reveal

Options

Comments

• DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While I think iPhones are overrated, the 1 GB of RAM isn't as bad as it seems. The multitasking used by phones in general isn't so intensive that 1 GB is pathetic. And iPhones are optimized very well, so they'll make better use of that 1 GB than Samsung will make use of the 3 GB they cram into their phones.

To put it into better perspective. Most 8'' Windows tablets only have 2 GB and run smooth. They have much better and more intensive multitasking than any iOS or Android phone, so that goes to show you that 3 GB of RAM in a phone is overkill.
    CJ wrote: »
    While I think iPhones are overrated, the 1 GB of RAM isn't as bad as it seems. The multitasking used by phones in general isn't so intensive that 1 GB is pathetic. And iPhones are optimized very well, so they'll make better use of that 1 GB than Samsung will make use of the 3 GB they cram into their phones.

To put it into better perspective. Most 8'' Windows tablets only have 2 GB and run smooth. They have much better and more intensive multitasking than any iOS or Android phone, so that goes to show you that 3 GB of RAM in a phone is overkill.

This

1gig of ram on a flagship android phone would be a different story.

Except iOS always closes apps or tabs out to keep up performance which imo is ridiculous in 2014. I mean who wouldn't want data caching and quick app switching. It's simply running less tasks because they don't want it to. They could easily ramp up the RAM and make the phone capable of handling more tasks but nope. The so-called "tech" giant doesn't want a lot of "tech" running at the same time.

This ? has never happened to me....I have to constantly remind myself to close apps as when your hard disk is full the phone (5) slows down. But never been thrown out of an app.

However, I see nothing wrong with an non frequently used app closing itself. e.g, banking apps, maps, etc...
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options

This

1gig of ram on a flagship android phone would be a different story.

Except iOS always closes apps or tabs out to keep up performance which imo is ridiculous in 2014. I mean who wouldn't want data caching and quick app switching. It's simply running less tasks because they don't want it to. They could easily ramp up the RAM and make the phone capable of handling more tasks but nope. The so-called "tech" giant doesn't want a lot of "tech" running at the same time.

I never had a tab or app close by itself.

Probably should reword that, tabs or apps have to refresh themselves to clear out space for some other RAM intensive tasks. You won't be able to have a bunch of tabs open, play a game while music is playing and come back to those same tabs, without them having to refresh. iOS puts the tabs/app to rest and when you come back, it has to refresh either the tabs or apps.

Everyone I see with an iPhone that doesn't have this issue is too busy making sure to swipe out every tab or app they're done with. It's a real issue, I've seen it on iPhone, but even more so on iPads.

1GB of RAM is the main reason you won't see the ability to watch a YouTube video and browse the internet at the same time on your phone which I do a regular basis because I do the same ? on my PC. But I'm sure, instead of fighting for more RAM, Apple lovers will say "I don't need to do that" but treat it like ? put it on Earth himself when it arrives in whatever phone they finally decide to put it in.
  • DNB1
    Options
    Yea cannot be on youtube and continue to do other things....I thought that was just down to the app design tho...
  • DNB1
    Options
    No doubt I'm getting the Plus 128gb storage....November.

Never again will I get anything less than 32gb.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess these phones would seem like a big step up in some ways for Apple users. The crazy thing is all they did was take a few pages out of the playbook Android OEMs have been using for years. Nothing wrong with that, but it will be funny to see all the iHeads running around acting like Apple has changed the game by adding a bunch of features that have been available with Android phones for 3 or 4 years at least.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These cracka ass crackaz just discontinued the ipod classic!!!

They shouldn't have done that ? .
  • B_A
    B_A Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess these phones would seem like a big step up in some ways for Apple users. The crazy thing is all they did was take a few pages out of the playbook Android OEMs have been using for years. Nothing wrong with that, but it will be funny to see all the iHeads running around acting like Apple has changed the game by adding a bunch of features that have been available with Android phones for 3 or 4 years at least.

this the ? i hate, apple just got the damn pull down bar.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is the first time I've ever wanted an iPhone. They finally learned all the right lessons from the superior Samsung and HTC form factors and adapted accordingly. I'm not gonna switch to Verizon though. I'll wait. As far as the watch goes? nah that ? will just bring a lot of unnecessary attention. I'm good with just the phone.
  • OhMars
    OhMars Members Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    559428e86cb30235fefd83c5598ab913.jpg

I dont get the hype. It does nothing innovative.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OhMars wrote: »

Lol I got the nexus 5 and love it, no need to change it anytime soon
  • Broddie
    edited September 2014
    Options

The hype is that it's an iPhone that could finally appeal to us Android users. They finally implemented a lot of elements into IOS that made the Android OS superior for years. On top of that their form factor is now more in line with the superior designs of Android phones. It is comedy though how it's being touted as this groundbreaking piece of tech. Apple diehards are even worse than the Microsoft nerds were 10 years ago.
  • Crude_
    Options
    They're at least 2 generations behind with these specs.
  • OhMars
    OhMars Members Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

The hype is that it's an iPhone that could finally appeal to us Android users. They finally implemented a lot of elements into IOS that made the Android OS superior for years. On top of that their form factor is now more in line with the superior designs of Android phones. It is comedy though how it's being touted as this groundbreaking piece of tech. Apple diehards are even worse than the Microsoft nerds were 10 years ago.

So if iPhones are now just a not as good android why would anyone buy one, besides the apple printed on its back.
  • Crude_
    Options

So if iPhones are now just a not as good android why would anyone buy one, besides the apple printed on its back.

Some people are going to buy an iPhone regardless just because it's an Apple product and they have a sense of brand loyalty.

There are others who simply like the simplicity of Apple products and how they sync up seemlessly in the iOS ecosystem.

For some people the Android OS isn't as user friendly and you don't have the ability to sync devices as easily due to the number of different Android devices out there.

Whatever the case people buy what appeals to them.

In my opinion, Apple is to restrictive with the platform, but it works for them so I'll stick to the Android OS until something better comes along if ever.
  • Broddie
    edited September 2014
    Options

Because a lot of people in my social network rely on IOS same with the mobile networking at my job. As stupid as it sounds it would be more seamless to hit up people on facetime then try to schedule a skype session or something because most people are idiots. It's only a consideration though I'm not fully convinced I'm even gonna go through with it yet. I've survived well enough with what I have but at the same time if my job keeps on falling under the spell of Apple like they have been doing I guess I'll have to bite the bullet.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »

Some people are going to buy an iPhone regardless just because it's an Apple product and they have a sense of brand loyalty.

There are others who simply like the simplicity of Apple products and how they sync up seemlessly in the iOS ecosystem.

For some people the Android OS isn't as user friendly and you don't have the ability to sync devices as easily due to the number of different Android devices out there.

Whatever the case people buy what appeals to them.

In my opinion, Apple is to restrictive with the platform, but it works for them so I'll stick to the Android OS until something better comes along if ever.

Yeah, it's not like iPhones suck. They are premier devices. They just have certain limitations. If the strengths of the phones outweigh the limitations for you, then they might be picking up. There's no problem with that. The problem comes when people try to act like Apple is some kind of leader in innovation when they've been playing catch up for years now. The iPhone 6 is pretty much the perfect example of that.
  • OhPee
    OhPee Members Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They should have made the new iPhones waterproof. That's GOAT ? right there. The 5.5 inch iPhone is too much phone for me personally. Can't walk around comfortable sticking it in my pocket. 4.7 is more ideal.

Not sure whether to upgrade though....don't necessarily NEED it. My 5s gives me no problems whatsoever.

And that Apple Watch is a fail lowkey. You HAVE to have an iPhone near the device so it can sync and run I think. And the battery doesn't last 24 hours....I have to charge my watch everyday now?
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's the price on that 128 gb iPhone?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I think over $1000. I forget where I saw it, but I remember thinking that you could get a Surface Pro 3 for that, and those things are expensive as hell.

Of course that's off contract.
  • banginscrew901
    Options
    I think over $1000. I forget where I saw it, but I remember thinking that you could get a Surface Pro 3 for that, and those things are expensive as hell.

Of course that's off contract.

Yea you can get a surface pro for that..... Damn they proud of that 128 gb flash drive.

I wonder how long before they put it to the next gen iPod? And how much will they run?

I got a 64 gig iPod now and only got 20 something gb of free space all music no apps. Ain't enough music to fill it up and I listen to a lot of different genre
  • banginscrew901
    Options
    Is that 1000 straight out buying or contract?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm skipping this one
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Might trade in the s5 for this honestly.
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Think 128gb will be $500 with contract judging by the price of the smaller model