iPhone 6 & Apple iWatch reveal

Options
DNB1
DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in IllTek
Latest update: The time is nigh, people. The invites are out. Apple is hosting an event in Cupertino on September 9, with the tagline 'Wish we could say more'.

The new iPhone could be one of the most pivotal devices in the Cupertino brand's history - with the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C simple updates to previous models, there's a lot of pressure heaped on the iPhone 6.

We've already been given a small sneak peak at what Apple may have in store for us on the iPhone 6 thanks to the announcement of iOS 8 at WWDC - from a bigger screen and camera to health monitoring and more storage.

What iOS 8 tells us about the iPhone 6

One thing is for sure, with the Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G3, Sony Xperia Z2 and HTC One M8 now out in wild, Apple needs to be on its game with the new iPhone - and many believe a bigger screen is simply a must.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/iphone-6-release-date-news-and-rumours-1099865

Comments

• DNB1
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like getting new phones, but I don't see how people get all hyped up over them like they do. They are nice and all, but no matter how good they are, they will be outclass 3 months after they are released so some of the hype at a release is always misplaced.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IPhone 6 and iphone 6 plus
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    gonna cop that iphone 6 when my contract runs out
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Other than a longer battery life and a bigger phone, what else could they improve?
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1GB of RAM in 2014 lol
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Apple have ran out of ideas. The 1GB of RAM made me laugh as well.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These two phones would have been nice back in 2010.

Sad part about it I was genuinely interested in what they would do with this generation phone.

I'm leaning toward getting that Note 4 or SG6 when it comes out early next year now.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    While I think iPhones are overrated, the 1 GB of RAM isn't as bad as it seems. The multitasking used by phones in general isn't so intensive that 1 GB is pathetic. And iPhones are optimized very well, so they'll make better use of that 1 GB than Samsung will make use of the 3 GB they cram into their phones.

To put it into better perspective. Most 8'' Windows tablets only have 2 GB and run smooth. They have much better and more intensive multitasking than any iOS or Android phone, so that goes to show you that 3 GB of RAM in a phone is overkill.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Damn, Verizon is giving away free 16 GB iPhone 6s when you trade in your current iPhone.

Why don't they do that for Android brands?
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's a damn good deal hope att does that.

I can get $250 easy selling my old one on Craigslist tho
  • CJ
    Options
    While I think iPhones are overrated, the 1 GB of RAM isn't as bad as it seems. The multitasking used by phones in general isn't so intensive that 1 GB is pathetic. And iPhones are optimized very well, so they'll make better use of that 1 GB than Samsung will make use of the 3 GB they cram into their phones.

To put it into better perspective. Most 8'' Windows tablets only have 2 GB and run smooth. They have much better and more intensive multitasking than any iOS or Android phone, so that goes to show you that 3 GB of RAM in a phone is overkill.

This

1gig of ram on a flagship android phone would be a different story.
  • Got Em Shook
    Got Em Shook Members Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Haters gonna Hate
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options

CJ wrote: »

This

Except iOS always closes apps or tabs out to keep up performance which imo is ridiculous in 2014. I mean who wouldn't want data caching and quick app switching. It's simply running less tasks because they don't want it to. They could easily ramp up the RAM and make the phone capable of handling more tasks but nope. The so-called "tech" giant doesn't want a lot of "tech" running at the same time.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Conflict aye bruh tell em that story about your phone
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheBoyRo wrote: »
    Other than a longer battery life and a bigger phone, what else could they improve?

They can improve but... I don't it's enough to challenge Samsung.

I heard they already have ideas implemented for their next three phones.
  • CJ
    Options

This

Except iOS always closes apps or tabs out to keep up performance which imo is ridiculous in 2014. I mean who wouldn't want data caching and quick app switching. It's simply running less tasks because they don't want it to. They could easily ramp up the RAM and make the phone capable of handling more tasks but nope. The so-called "tech" giant doesn't want a lot of "tech" running at the same time.

I never had a tab or app close by itself.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

This

Well that's more of a problem with Apple's stubborness with there software than it is with there only being 1 GB of RAM.
    Cain wrote: »
    Damn, Verizon is giving away free 16 GB iPhone 6s when you trade in your current iPhone.

Why don't they do that for Android brands?

That should let you know that 5s is worth more than the 6 far as build goes. That should be a red flag if anything

Nah, I doubt that's it. I think it's more that Apple slipped a lil money to Verizon for the promotion. They are trying to spark sales. The 5s is most definitely not worth more from a build standpoint.
  • DNB1
    Options
    iPhone6-34FR-SpGry_iPhone6plus-34FL-SpGry_Homescre-205x300.jpg

The thinnest iPhones to date will become available on September 19. The smartphones will include:

Ion-strengthened cover glass
    Software that will help you take better photos, including a faster autofocus
    Time-lapse and slow motion functions on video camera
    A 25% faster processing power than any iPhone before
    128 GB of storage
  • DNB1
    Options
    iPhone6-PF-SpGry_iPhone6plus-PF-SpGry_NFC-PRINT-300x300.jpg

Apple Pay
    Leave your wallet at home, Apple says. The Apple Pay function — available October 14 — will offer wireless payment option.

Apple Pay will work with American Express, MasterCard and Visa
    Using Touch ID security and Secure Element privacy, you can securely set up Apple Pay by adding a credit card from your iTunes account.
    By the end of the year, Disney, Seamless, Instacart, Sephora, Nordstrom, Chipotle and MLB.com will accept Apple Pay.
  • DNB1
    Options
    AplWatch42-34R-HomeScreen-PRINT-1-253x300.jpg

Apple Watch
    Finally. Everyone’s dream to become Maxwell Smart will soon be realized. With Apple Watch, you’ll be able to:

Access apps, including maps
    Send text messages via Suri and touch screen ability
    Know your pulse rate and track your activity for health and fitness purposes
    And of course. Tell time
  • DNB1
    Options
    All the main flagship phones now have similar features — big, bright screens, voice control and decent cameras. Here are the main differences.

iPhone 6

- Fingerprint scanner

- 4.7 and 5.5 inch screen sizes

- Pay for goods with Apple Pay

- Access to 1.3million apps

- All iTunes customers get free U2 album

Samsung Galaxy S5

- Fingerprint scanner — that also lets you pay for goods

- Waterproof

- Exercise monitoring app

- 5.1inch HD display

- Runs Android

Sony Z3

- Best camera with 21MP sensor

- Waterproof to 1.5metres

- Plays PlayStation 4 games

- 5.2inch HD display

- Runs Android

HTC One (M8)

- Sleekest all metal design - best looking other than iPhone

- Lots of camera features

- BlinkFeed overlay displays updates from Facebook, Twitter and news apps on homescreen

- 5inch HD display

- Runs Android

Nokia 930 X

- Powerful 21MP camera

- Wireless charging

- Maps work offline - saving data when abroad

- 5inch HD display good for outdoors

- Only flagship phone to run Windows Phone 8
  • DNB1
    Options
  • DNB1