Owner Bruce Levenson selling Atlanta Hawks after racist email

Options

Comments

• KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O_O

What's racist about what he said? This is like the Adrian Broner controversy all over again. All he did was speak the truth. You can eyeball white people being uncomfortable around blacks and other minorities. The second they realize they're overwhelmed, they start speed walking and vacating the premises immediately--and that's with no ? going on.

You see it in neighborhoods when a block gets "color" and the white neighbors suddenly have to sell. You see it in businesses around cities where public transportation only goes so far in an effort to keep "certain types" away. And once those "certain types" can reach those locations more frequently, the place closes down or opens a superior location even further out.

*Shrug*

Can't be mad dude kept it real about his fan base.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    30 nba owners........30 of them feel this way......

even michael jordan.....hes in it to make money.....
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Parallel wrote: »
    He probably leaked this ? himself after seening clips sell for 2 billion

If he wanted to sell the team why would he expose himself? He can sell them without a reason right?

troll question
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    suzyscrew wrote: »
    I live north of Atl and I ? with the local teams. If you listen to sports radio you hear white people voicing fears similar to what dude was speaking on. It's true that a lot of white people (not all) are scared to come into the city, scared to be anywhere where they're not the majority. Then again, this argument falls apart when you look at the falcons. I just think Levenson needed to focus on putting together a good team instead of being worried about demographics.

they too worried about payback
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    What he said wasn't racist per say but it was stupid and showed his own lack of business acumen when it comes to running a basketball team. Instead of thinking "Maybe my team isn't performing well with the fanbase I want because we aren't that good" he immediately goes to ? like "The kiss cam is too black". That is the ? that catches attention from the e-mail. Not that he's upset about something but what he's blaming the lack of success he thinks he's havign on
  • zerocool
    Options
    zerocool wrote: »
    30 nba owners........30 of them feel this way......

even michael jordan.....hes in it to make money.....
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most white people I know dont like the NBA. They tell me all types of reasons why. then the kicker: "I loved the 80s and 90s basketball games over the current game." Translation: I loved it when there were white superstars I could at least root for.

They give me all this ? about the players being too thuggish and ? like that when They had the bad boys and blatant flagrant fouls. I argued with this dude for about a hour on how the current game is more fast paced and organized. This mfer talking about fundamentals and ? .

Like another poster said they would rather watch Duke vs Creighton to see a white dude play.
    Disclamer
    As I type this aint that the same reasoning behind why some black people don't watch baseball. Which has been concluded to be wrong and baseless.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    Most white people I know dont like the NBA. They tell me all types of reasons why. then the kicker: "I loved the 80s and 90s basketball games over the current game." Translation: I loved it when there were white superstars I could at least root for.

They give me all this ? about the players being too thuggish and ? like that when They had the bad boys and blatant flagrant fouls. I argued with this dude for about a hour on how the current game is more fast paced and organized. This mfer talking about fundamentals and ? .

Like another poster said they would rather watch Duke vs Creighton to see a white dude play.
    Disclamer
    As I type this aint that the same reasoning behind why some black people don't watch baseball. Which has been concluded to be wrong and baseless.

Let's be clear. There is nothing wrong with the bold. If a white person just came out and told me that, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Hell, Larry Bird himself came out not too long and said something to the same effect. There is nothing wrong with wanting to see someone like yourself in something you support.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not racist?

"i have also balked when every fan picked out of crowd to shoot shots in some time out contest is black. I have even ? that the kiss cam is too black."
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    His point could've been made without insulting the black people who currently come to games.

Now we hear that Danny Ferry repeated some racist background scouting report on Deng. Wonder what other emails said?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Not racist?

"i have also balked when every fan picked out of crowd to shoot shots in some time out contest is black. I have even ? that the kiss cam is too black."

It's not racist to feel like a certain group is over represented. As black people we feel this way about white people too. If anything, ? like this just proves that the average white person could not handle being minorities.
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options

Disclamer

Let's be clear. There is nothing wrong with the bold. If a white person just came out and told me that, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Hell, Larry Bird himself came out not too long and said something to the same effect. There is nothing wrong with wanting to see someone like yourself in something you support.

True, why insult someone else to do so. Why not state what you'd like and leave it at that?
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    being racist in public doesn't automatically quadruple a team's sale price lmao ? is ya'll on

Some of ya'll must really believe that if Jerry Jones go on a racist rant he can flip the Cowboys for 12 billion FOH

This. These dudes are beyond stupid. They think they're on some breaking news ? , when everyone who uses critical thinking skills already dismissed that ? theory.

They don't understand that if their layman, no business sense having ass can think of something so "groundbreaking" so can everyone else, including the potential buyers. Him being a racist, doesn't even come close to helping him.

He got exposed and is trying to save face. It's just that simple.
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options

Disclamer

Always thought there should be a 30 for 30 on the decline of white American players in the NBA. Got replaced by white Europeans, and South Americans in last 30 years.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Disclamer

True, why insult someone else to do so. Why not state what you'd like and leave it at that?

Because most people don't know how to stop while they are ahead. They say things that aren't too bad and then push it too far.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options

Disclamer

So how about, "I wish our company had more white people, who I can relate to and have fun with after work, that would definitely increase our team/company morale." Is that okay too?

Can companies start hiring more white people based on their skin color, because it's something they can better support and feel comfortable around?

I don't think you understand what you're saying. You sound pretty foolish to say the least.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options

Disclamer

What was in the spoiler? As I type this - aint that the same reasoning behind why some black people don't watch baseball. Which has been concluded to be wrong and baseless.

I realized as I was typing it that black people use this same excuse on Baseball and Hockey.
  • zerocool
    Options
    http://www.atlantahawkscheerleaders.com/Roster.htm
    P
    ATL cheerleaders. ....... they really switched it up
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Lmao @ steakholders
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is what I'm thinking they said he gave the email up voluntarily... the email 2 years old....
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited September 2014
    Options

Disclamer

So how about, "I wish our company had more white people, who I can relate to and have fun with after work, that would definitely increase our team/company morale." Is that okay too?

Can companies start hiring more white people based on their skin color, because it's something they can better support and feel comfortable around?

I don't think you understand what you're saying. You sound pretty foolish to say the least.

? shut up. Nobody said it was ok to actively change practices on wanting to reflect a certain racial demographic. I said there isn't a problem with a person of any race, religion, background, etc... saying they wish something they support had more people like them. And there isn't. People do that ? every day. ? get on here and talk about how they want Black Panther included in the Marvel Movieverse. ? didn't care about golf or tennis until Tiger and the Williams sisters came along. A hell of a lot of ignorant ass ? didn't give a flying ? about politics until Obama ran for president. Should you make impact decisions on wanting to have someone just like you included? No. Is it wrong for you to say that you'd like if more people like you are around or suggest that including more people like you would be a good thing? Hell no.
  • zerocool
    Options

This is what I'm thinking they said he gave the email up voluntarily... the email 2 years old....

I thought the same ? too.....hawks are worth 450 mil....he can probably get it to 650 mil and make a nice profit.....he knew what he was doing........
    we need more black owners
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options

Disclamer

? shut up. Nobody said it was ok to actively change practices on wanting to reflect a certain racial demographic. I said there isn't a problem with a person of any race, religion, background, etc... saying they wish something they support had more people like them. And there isn't. People do that ? every day. ? get on here and talk about how they want Black Panther included in the Marvel Movieverse. ? didn't care about golf or tennis until Tiger and the Williams sisters came along. A hell of a lot of ignorant ass ? didn't give a flying ? about politics until Obama ran for president. Should you make impact decisions on wanting to have someone just like you included? No. Is it wrong for you to say that you'd like if more people like you are around or suggest that including more people like you would be a good thing? Hell no.

First off, pull your skirt down. You sound like you're flustered because someone doesn't agree with your shallow opinion.

Second, if you think you need more white people, and you're in a position to hire more white people, chances are you're going to act on it. That's exactly what this whole thread is about. The owner of the Hawks was trying to purposely keep black people away and hire white cheerleaders etc. all because of skin color. There is absolutely NOTHING right about his train of thought or actions.

And miss me with all of those generalizations. I know plenty of black people who were into tennis, golf, politics etc. LONG BEFORE any of those people you named were involved. We watch TV shows and movies everyday without a SINGLE black actor present.

You sound like one of those white racists trying to act like all black people are the same, which if you're black and you hang around black people, you know that's so far from the truth. Stop the ignorance.
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    Parallel wrote: »
    silver-racial-dist-nba.png?w=610&h=857

His estimate

This doesn't have anything to do with who attends the games though does it?

Depending on the city, price, location - more whites will show up to the game than the minorities who make up the bulk of the fan base.

Outside of football, is ATL a good sports city?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Disclamer

First off, pull your skirt down. You sound like you're flustered because someone doesn't agree with your shallow opinion.

Second, if you think you need more white people, and you're in a position to hire more white people, chances are you're going to act on it. That's exactly what this whole thread is about. The owner of the Hawks was trying to purposely keep black people away and hire white cheerleaders etc. all because of skin color. There is absolutely NOTHING right about his train of thought or actions.

And miss me with all of those generalizations. I know plenty of black people who were into tennis, golf, politics etc. LONG BEFORE any of those people you named were involved. We watch TV shows and movies everyday without a SINGLE black actor present.

You sound like one of those white racists trying to act like all black people are the same, which if you're black and you hang around black people, you know that's so far from the truth. Stop the ignorance.

None of that ? you said applies to anything I said. You just typing to show you can put words on a screen.

I could care less whether you agree with my opinion or not. However, you not going to just go left with your responses and act like you are directly responding to what I said. Lots of white people wish they could hire nothing but white people, but still hire minorities because that's what they believe is best for the company. If this guy believed hiring some white people to appeal to the public and bring more big spending white people was good for the team, that is not the same thing as saying he was hiring white people just so he could feel more comfortable at his work place.

His whole letter was about how he thought the fanbase had grown too black and he believed he could increase revenue if he took steps to appeal to some of the whites in the area. That in itself is not wrong. Every decision made along racial lines is not racial. I just skimmed through the letter, so if he said he was specifically doing things to keep blacks away, then you're right that's ? up. I didn't see that. The part I read was more along the lines of things he needed to do to bring more whites in. It was less a "? You" to black people, and more of a "Welcome" to white people.

As for your last sentence, that ? doesn't even make sense in the context of what I was saying. So again, you just typing to be typing, and not even addressing points made.