In poll after poll, why are so many Americans so dissatisfied with America today?

kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in The Social Lounge
http://www.gallup.com/poll/175793/no-change-mood-satisfied-not.aspx

September 12, 2014

No Change in U.S. Mood: 23% Satisfied, 76% Not

But slightly more Americans now very dissatisfied than were in January

by Lydia Saad

PRINCETON, NJ -- It is not the worst of times, but it is far from the best of times when it comes to Americans' perceptions on how things are going in the country. Just shy of one in four Americans, 23%, are currently satisfied with the direction of the country, while 76% are dissatisfied. This marks the 10th consecutive month that satisfaction has fallen between 23% and 25% -- a remarkably narrow range in a measure that has reached as high as 70% and as low as 7% since 2000.

Satisfaction has also been steady among the major party groups, with Democrats consistently a bit more satisfied than independents, and Republicans the least satisfied. Current satisfaction is 36% among Democrats, 22% among independents, and 9% among Republicans.

Comments

• kingblaze84
    In most polls on this subject, even aside from Gallup, the poll results are the same: Americans are not satisfied at all with American life today. This is surprising to me because every month the govt puts up job numbers and it usually says unemployment is down and more jobs are being created. With more money coming in (supposedly), one would think Americans would be more satisfied with American life today. But most aren't...why do you think Americans are so down on American life today? I do see more and more people collecting bottles and cans in the streets, but some people here say things in America are just fine.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    edited September 2014
    In most polls on this subject, even aside from Gallup, the poll results are the same: Americans are not satisfied at all with American life today. This is surprising to me because every month the govt puts up job numbers and it usually says unemployment is down and more jobs are being created. With more money coming in (supposedly), one would think Americans would be more satisfied with American life today. But most aren't...why do you think Americans are so down on American life today? I do see more and more people collecting bottles and cans in the streets, but some people here say things in America are just fine.

Most right-wing Americans will say this guy.

obama-vpn.jpg

However, I think it's just because we aren't as aware as we used to be. 9/11 changed a lot of Americans views on life. China is gonna become a superpower soon and we'll be second.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the general move for the last 60 years has been toward a feeling of nihilism about government, people have this idealized version of America in there heads but this nation was never what people thought is was. today people want the living standards of a 1950's middle class white family, they want a decent paying job right out of high school so that they can buy a house with a fence, and they want to be liberals on most social issues. it's not realistic

I live in nyc when I first got here things were much more ? up American people are just spoiled and really it's the baby boomers who gave birth to this spirit of malaise.
  • zombie
    we need a return to some of the values of the greatest generation people today lack character we lack strength we whine and ? and moan about every ? thing, not to mentions our greed and selfishness.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    government seems run by a bunch of ? children (both sides of the aisle, let's be honest) who don't give a ? about the average man; doesn't seem confusing as to why people are unsatisfied with things.

of course, we're also kind of a nation of whiners so that never helps
    obama-vpn.jpg
    i don't know how right-wing i am, but a president that doesn't give a ? about me, seems as deceitful as any other politician and likes to lecture me about ? pretenses? yeah, not adding to my satisfaction.

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Racism, classism, sexism, lack of educational, employment, and economic opportunities, pollution, policital corruption and incompetence, cultural and societal degradation, religion, female comedians... take your pick.
  • kingblaze84
    Racism, classism, sexism, lack of educational, employment, and economic opportunities, pollution, policital corruption and incompetence, cultural and societal degradation, religion, female comedians... take your pick.

Yeah sadly these are all problems slowly chipping away at American society and it's also dividing American society. Female comedians have their moments so I won't diss them too much lol, Joan Rivers was pretty funny. I think that atheist red head comedian is funny as hell, I think her name is Kate something.

As far as the rest of those issues, I think the biggest problems now effecting American society is the growing gap btw rich and poor. There are waaay too many poor people out here in America, especially among the young among us. I'm 30 and it breaks my heart seeing so many college grads working for 10, 12 bucks an hour in jobs that have nothing to do with their degree. I can't even imagine how people without degrees are surviving out here. Religion doesn't help either.....
  • kingblaze84
    zombie wrote: »
    the general move for the last 60 years has been toward a feeling of nihilism about government, people have this idealized version of America in there heads but this nation was never what people thought is was. today people want the living standards of a 1950's middle class white family, they want a decent paying job right out of high school so that they can buy a house with a fence, and they want to be liberals on most social issues. it's not realistic

I live in nyc when I first got here things were much more ? up American people are just spoiled and really it's the baby boomers who gave birth to this spirit of malaise.

Things in NYC technically were worse in the 90s but according to a lot of people I talk to in NYC, things economically are actually getting worse day by day. It's not that people are just spoiled, there are legit issues people are worried about, like rising costs of food, rent, water, and the everyday basics. The baby boomers did ? America up by supporting horrible policies that have bankrupted America's future, we can agree on that but the spirit of malaise taking place in America is beyond them. It's effecting young people too, a lot of whom are losing hope and don't even care about going the illegal way to make a living cuz so many jobs out there aren't hiring or don't pay enough to support a family.

By the way, what's wrong with people wanting to be liberal on social issues? Most people are these days.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014

Money isn't everything

If the jobs people are working 40-50 hours a week do not fulfill them or satisfy desires unrelated to income then it makes sense that many are unhappy with their current situation

There are a lot of things to consider when looking at the current state of America.

Physical activity and fitness are crucial for happiness. Many studies show that those who are more physically active tend to be happier and healthier. With the growing obesity epidemic this could be playing a part in the widespread dissatisfaction these polls are recording. I read one study not long ago that said women who are more physically active and exercise frequently actually find it easier to orgasm and actually enjoy sex more. Getting people healthy again isn't a silver bullet but it damn sure would make some people happier.
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    janklow wrote: »
    government seems run by a bunch of ? children (both sides of the aisle, let's be honest) who don't give a ? about the average man; doesn't seem confusing as to why people are unsatisfied with things.

of course, we're also kind of a nation of whiners so that never helps
    obama-vpn.jpg
    i don't know how right-wing i am, but a president that doesn't give a ? about me, seems as deceitful as any other politician and likes to lecture me about ? pretenses? yeah, not adding to my satisfaction.

Lol yes sadly you're right....Obamacare has hurt many Americans tremendously by increasing the costs of healthcare, and his foreign policy ideas aren't helping America's reputation around the world. I want him to fight for the avg American the way he fought his ass off for ? rights. But all he wants to do now is blame Republicans, ignoring how he had a Democrat led Senate and House for his first two years. I don't think Obama is horrible but I don't even know what he stands for anymore. What is even his agenda now?
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Trashboat wrote: »

Money isn't everything

If the jobs people are working 40-50 hours a week do not fulfill them or satisfy desires unrelated to income then it makes sense that many are unhappy with their current situation.

Very true. People are often working jobs they hate because they have no choice but to pay the bills. Bills that seem to get higher and higher every year. My boy is making 85 grand a year and still suffers from depression because he says it's annoying working with an ? boss but living in NYC, if you can't pay the rent or bills you gonna be a ? in the street.

Regarding what you said about healthy people being happier, that's also true. But from what I've read, many Americans can't even afford healthy foods because it tends to be more expensive. Adding vegetables to a diet costs more money and so many out there, even while working, can't afford to do this. My mom works in a school and it's heartbreaking when so many of the students say they couldn't eat a healthy breakfast before school. Sometimes, we give food to these families and most of these families have working parents. Something in America is very wrong. Hard for many to exercise when their diet often consists of cheap junk food, it's all some people can afford.
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    People are unhappy here because of unobtainable dreams. They think more money will make you happy but material items only bring temporary happiness. Find what makes you happy and be happy. If that means taking a pay cut do it if you think it will improve your health.
  • janklow
    I want him to fight for the avg American the way he fought his ass off for ? rights.
    fundamentally, i don't believe politicians care about the average American, and i see no reason to believe Obama is any different.
    I don't think Obama is horrible but I don't even know what he stands for anymore. What is even his agenda now?
    to annoy me by talking about gun control, i think

• zombie

Money isn't everything

If the jobs people are working 40-50 hours a week do not fulfill them or satisfy desires unrelated to income then it makes sense that many are unhappy with their current situation.

Very true. People are often working jobs they hate because they have no choice but to pay the bills. Bills that seem to get higher and higher every year. My boy is making 85 grand a year and still suffers from depression because he says it's annoying working with an ? boss but living in NYC, if you can't pay the rent or bills you gonna be a ? in the street.

Regarding what you said about healthy people being happier, that's also true. But from what I've read, many Americans can't even afford healthy foods because it tends to be more expensive. Adding vegetables to a diet costs more money and so many out there, even while working, can't afford to do this. My mom works in a school and it's heartbreaking when so many of the students say they couldn't eat a healthy breakfast before school. Sometimes, we give food to these families and most of these families have working parents. Something in America is very wrong. Hard for many to exercise when their diet often consists of cheap junk food, it's all some people can afford.

nothing is really wrong with america you know, it's always really been this way or worse people just have a picture of reality/history that is not true. there has always been a sections of society that is ? up no matter how hard they work.

but americans have a traditions of deluding themselves.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    The cost of living rises every year (especially for renters) while most middle class people with careers went from working hard to expect raises and bonuses to working harder just to keep there jobs. At the same time while the same companies report record quarterly earnings, many companies attitudes are to lay even more people off in order to reduce costs while driving remaining employees harder to make even better earnings the next quarter. Many people are working harder, no longer expecting performance incentives, while feeling less stable with their careers.

Also, many people are shelling out 40% of their take home pay on housing alone and even more to have their families in decent school districts if they don't have the funds for private school. Factor in supporting a household, kids, education, and living expenses many end up relying on more debt (credit cards, along with borrowing from their retirement funds, etc) in order to actually save any money on the side, if at all. So in effect, many middle class people are hustling backwards while appearing to live upgraded lifestyles.

But, they could sacrifice their kids education by moving into a cheaper place in a ? school district...or move into a cheaper place and shell out even more on private education.
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    income inequality...or more specifically, more and more Americans living paycheck to paycheck
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corporations discovered political donations and have been ? America ever since
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simon Winston-I'll be happy just ? my wife in the ass and being able to smoke a blunt in public.

dead lol
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    zombie wrote: »

Money isn't everything

nothing is really wrong with america you know, it's always really been this way or worse people just have a picture of reality/history that is not true. there has always been a sections of society that is ? up no matter how hard they work.

but americans have a traditions of deluding themselves.

There ARE things wrong with America now. Like how we have money to fight neverending wars but when it comes to federal govt trying to build more affordable housing for the ever growing young and elderly poor among us, like Cornel West and Travis Smiley have pushed for, suddenly the govt cries poverty. It's a system that seems to be working against many of us. If inflation is truly necessary, then the govt should make efforts to help protect Americans from the negative side effects from that. Way too many people are being squeezed in from all sides. 43.5 MILLION Americans live in poverty, in the so called richest nation on Earth. And meanwhile, aid for the poor among us is being cut, homeless shelters are being shut down, and I'm seeing more and more desperate people out there. Money for wars is always on deck, and same with bailing out Wall Street and the big banks, while Americans are asking their next door neighbors for food and money on a weekly basis.

I know there's always been Americans who struggle but times are different now because cost of living is higher then ever. High inflation is not a normal thing.
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    I want him to fight for the avg American the way he fought his ass off for ? rights.
    fundamentally, i don't believe politicians care about the average American, and i see no reason to believe Obama is any different.
    I don't think Obama is horrible but I don't even know what he stands for anymore. What is even his agenda now?
    to annoy me by talking about gun control, i think

American politicians care only about special interests. I hope one day America has a true leader among us, like another Martin Luther King Jr or FDR. Someone who actually wants to see most Americans do well and more importantly, FIGHT for that. I thought Obama had it in him when he first ran but then like most of us, realized he wasn't really an agent of change. It's cool having the first Black president but one would think he would fight all the more harder for change. Instead we got Obamacare, bail outs for the big banks, more wars and crumbs for everyone else who isn't a big donor or special interest group.

Ridiculousness.
  • kingblaze84
    I also think Americans are really war weary and tired of the constant threats coming from overseas due to our foreign policy. ISIS released a new video today welcoming American soldiers to come join the war in Iraq and Syria, warning it would bring the same chaos and destruction to us as it did from 2003-2011. All this is probably wearing on the American subconscious indirectly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td9SyiIRHWs&feature=player_detailpage

• janklow
    American politicians care only about special interests. I hope one day America has a true leader among us, like another ... FDR.
    ahahahaha
    Ridiculousness.
    sorry, dude, single-issue voting from now until i die. which may be never if i can manage to transfer my consciousness into some kind of ROM construct

• kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    American politicians care only about special interests. I hope one day America has a true leader among us, like another ... FDR.
    ahahahaha
    Ridiculousness.
    sorry, dude, single-issue voting from now until i die. which may be never if i can manage to transfer my consciousness into some kind of ROM construct

You been playing Fallout New Vegas again? Transferring your consciousness into a computer could be fun, but it sounds lonely as ? though lol. Now if you can somehow find a way to manipulate data to have sex with porn stars from uploaded movies, I will be all for putting my consciousness into a computer some day. I'd even pay money to have it done , again, only if porn movie data can be manipulated....
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Don't think you really are a single issue voter though Jank....

If a presidential candidate was the ONLY candidate to support guns rights, and also wanted to set up a military draft for all healthy men under 60, would you still vote for someone like that? I'm assuming you're below the age of 60
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah sadly these are all problems slowly chipping away at American society and it's also dividing American society. Female comedians have their moments so I won't diss them too much lol, Joan Rivers was pretty funny. I think that atheist red head comedian is funny as hell, I think her name is Kate something.

As far as the rest of those issues, I think the biggest problems now effecting American society is the growing gap btw rich and poor. There are waaay too many poor people out here in America, especially among the young among us. I'm 30 and it breaks my heart seeing so many college grads working for 10, 12 bucks an hour in jobs that have nothing to do with their degree. I can't even imagine how people without degrees are surviving out here. Religion doesn't help either.....

Yeah Joan Rivers and Kathy Griffen are two of the funniest female comics. Amy Schumer is decent too. With that being said, death to Ellen Degeneres and Wanda Sykes.

This underdeployment problem is ? up especially considering how expensive American education is. You want me to pay for a degree but barely make more than half of that back in a job that may not even be related to my field of study? And if I got loans, I'm ? out of luck.