In poll after poll, why are so many Americans so dissatisfied with America today?

Options

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    Wealth inequality is at its highest levels since THE GREAT DEPRESSION in America....not since the 70s, or the 80s, since THE GREAT DEPRESSION. WOW. This explains all the homeless people I saw in Manhattan this morning (the 2nd richest city in the world supposedly).

http://fortune.com/2014/10/31/inequality-wealth-income-us/?xid=yahoo_fortune

Wealth inequality in America: It's worse than you think

by Chris Matthews

October 31, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

A new study shows that the gap in the wealth that different American households have accumulated is more exreme than any at time since the Great Depression

So, why should we care that wealth inequality is so much greater than even the historic levels of income inequality? While inequality is a natural result of competitive, capitalist economies, there’s plenty of evidence that shows that extreme levels of inequality is bad for business. For instance, retailers are once again bracing for a miserable holiday shopping season due mostly to the fact that most Americans simply aren’t seeing their incomes rise and have learned their lesson about the consequences of augmenting their income with debt.

--With numbers like this, I guess it won't be a huge surprise if Republicans win the Senate on Tuesday.

wealth inequality and the overall standard of living are to different things there can be high wealth inequality but a high standard of life for the population overall. COMPARED TO the 80's and especially 70's economically the nation is doing better in many areas.

you should learn some economics before you get so fearful you saw a homeless person big ? deal homelessness is dropping nation wide just not in nyc and the homeless are better off today than in the 1970's

The problem with your last sentence is that ECONOMISTS are the ones sounding the alarm about America's economy, debt, inflation, and DECLINING standard of living for more and more Americans. I wouldn't be as worried if it weren't for the economists and financial analysts who are sounding this alarm, and the growing numbers of homeless people I see not just in NYC but nationwide do disturb me. I didn't see these things this often until about 7 years ago, and the people begging in the streets seems to be getting worse year by year. I hope my fears are wrong.

I dealt with this with you already, pay attention economists as a whole will always have two views on any economic issue and the cause of it because it all depends on how they analyze the information

the decline in standard of living for it's highs in the past cannot simply to blamed on the debt, and just because you did not see something does not mean it never existed.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Wealth inequality is at its highest levels since THE GREAT DEPRESSION in America....not since the 70s, or the 80s, since THE GREAT DEPRESSION. WOW. This explains all the homeless people I saw in Manhattan this morning (the 2nd richest city in the world supposedly).
    whether or not this is the screaming issue you think, it's not really what we're talking about when we bring up the 1970s/1980s.

also, i have a feeling things were worse for the average man in THE GREAT DEPRESSION compared to 2014. just a feeling.

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    whether or not this is the screaming issue you think, it's not really what we're talking about when we bring up the 1970s/1980s.

also, i have a feeling things were worse for the average man in THE GREAT DEPRESSION compared to 2014. just a feeling.

Oh of course things are better now for the AVG person compared to the Great Depression. But America can do better then the oligarchy and plutocracy that it's slowly becoming (I hope, some people say it's too late)
  • kingblaze84
    Options
  • janklow
    Options
    Oh of course things are better now for the AVG person compared to the Great Depression. But America can do better then the oligarchy and plutocracy that it's slowly becoming (I hope, some people say it's too late)
    obviously, but the former is sort of our point.

• MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    [img]https://scontent-b-atl.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10153891_10152469671538061_3558097832969852519_n.jpg?oh=2905111ea05a323b67e2cededb2bbeee&oe=54E94C35[/img]
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    House Republicans are said to be close to having the biggest gains in 65 years.....the economy, and gridlock are the main motivators according to CNN polls, and voters think things are in bad shape

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/29745c3526304357bc1a93914fbeb656/gop-steers-toward-hefty-house-majority

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republicans held a commanding edge in the House on Tuesday, on track to pad their majority at near historic levels and claim long-held Democratic seats in the South.

The GOP won more than 120 seats as polls closed in the East and was certain to surpass 218 if incumbents prevailed as expected in the Midwest and West. Republican challengers took an early lead against five-term Rep. John Barrow in rural Georgia and 19-term Rep. Nick Rahall of West Virginia, two of the last white Southern Democrats facing a growing GOP tide.

Republicans capitalized on growing dissatisfaction with President Barack Obama as voters took out their frustration on the party controlling the White House. The pervasive malaise nationwide also dragged down Democrats.

Obama's low approval ratings, around 40 percent, were a drag on Democrats, as was the electorate's unease with the Islamic State group threat, Ebola outbreak and job losses. Promising economic signs of a drop in the unemployment rate and cheaper gasoline failed to help the president's party, which typically loses seats in midterm elections.
  • kingblaze84
    edited November 2014
    Options
    GOP close to winning the Senate, ? ......Obama is close to becoming a lame duck IF this is true

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/04/politics/election-day-story/index.html

Washington (CNN) -- Republicans have picked up another Senate seat and now need only two more to seize Senate control, according to a CNN projection.

So far on Tuesday night, Republicans have picked up Democratic-held seats in Montana, South Dakota, Arkansas and West Virginia. CNN also projects Republicans will maintain their grip on the House of Representatives.

--CNN is saying Democrats failed big time to motivate Blacks and Hispanics to vote today

Edit: GOP one win away from winning Senate, and they are blowing out Democrats crazy in governor races all over the nation. Even the governor of Illinois, a Democrat, lost tonight.
  • kingblaze84
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Done deal: GOP wins control of the Senate according to MSNBC.....wow. I didn't think voters were this mad. Biggest victories for the Republicans in Congress since World War 2
  • zombie
    Options
    The average american is an idiot watch all these fools keep voting against their economic interest that being said i can't wait for obama to be out of office.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    The average american is an idiot watch all these fools keep voting against their economic interest that being said i can't wait for obama to be out of office.

I'm no fan of Obama either but even I'm surprised Republicans out of all people dominated tonight, considering they are worse in many ways. And with that being said, I'm not really sure what Democrats have done to make the economy better, I haven't heard any new ideas from them aside from raising the minimum wage, which doesn't even affect most Americans.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Damn even the Clintons couldn't save the Democrats today.....Hillary isn't gonna have an easy road in 2016.
  • zombie
    Options

I'm no fan of Obama either but even I'm surprised Republicans out of all people dominated tonight, considering they are worse in many ways. And with that being said, I'm not really sure what Democrats have done to make the economy better, I haven't heard any new ideas from them aside from raising the minimum wage, which doesn't even affect most Americans.

people like to blame the president for the economy but the reality is that the president has less effect on the economy than most people think and for the most part he should leave ? alone
  • kingblaze84
    Options

people like to blame the president for the economy but the reality is that the president has less effect on the economy than most people think and for the most part he should leave ? alone

True but Obamacare ? things up for a lot of barely there middle class people. It made life more expensive in a time many Americans are paying off student loans, taking care of elderly parents, and paying high rent and mortgages nationwide (compared to avg salaries).

Obama also could have used medical marijuana as a way to increase Democrat support but he ? up by cracking down on medical marijuana dispensaries nationwide, ? off his base that want to find ways to make more money. If Obama had an agenda for the economy, or at least some bright ideas, people would have supported Dems like they did in 2008
  • zombie
    Options

so you can have another worse white dude to ? about for the next 8 years, right ?

I don't care so much about the race of the president because that position despite what people think is not so powerful that whoever is in it can change the economic conditions of black people. The president is in a position to improve black life politically and somewhat socially but the genesis of our problems in 2014 is in the economic world. BASICALLY THE PRESIDENT IS A SERVANT and the best thing he can do is ? with the free market as little as possible. OVER REGULATIONS AND excessive taxes in the wrong places are bad for business.

It is actually more important to vote in your local elections.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    I'm happy Americans more and more are voting for legalizing marijuana for medical and recreational use. If Obama was smart, instead of cracking down on it, he would have used marijuana as a way to improve turnout and push it as a way to improve the economy. But he wasn't smart, so voters and even other politicians took matters into their own hands. Some people said a Black man being seen as supporting marijuana would have looked bad but that's ? because voters in mostly White states are approving marijuana use more then anyone else. The exception is DC, the mostly Black city that also voted to legalize marijuana yesterday (proud of ya'll)

http://news.yahoo.com/marijuana-legalization-movement-declares-election-day-victory-061232865.html

Oregon became the third state to fully legalize marijuana Tuesday, while Washington, D.C., residents will soon be allowed to grow and possess ? without fear of legal repercussions. Despite a loss in Florida for medical marijuana, the twin victories prompted ? boosters to celebrate.

“It’s always an uphill battle to win a marijuana legalization initiative in a year like this when young people are so much less likely to vote, which makes today’s victory all the sweeter,” Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance, said. Pro-marijuana lobby groups significantly outspent opponents in Oregon, helping them win over voters who rejected a similar proposal in 2012.

Despite Obama's ? downs, medical marijuana has been legalized in 25 states.

• janklow
    Options
    I'm no fan of Obama either but even I'm surprised Republicans out of all people dominated tonight, considering they are worse in many ways.
    i'm not surprised at all, especially considering some of the campaigns they ran.
    ...but i AM surprised my illustrious state elected a Republican governor, especially when literally EVERY nonpartisan poll called the race wrong

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm happy Americans more and more are voting for legalizing marijuana for medical and recreational use. If Obama was smart, instead of cracking down on it, he would have used marijuana as a way to improve turnout and push it as a way to improve the economy. But he wasn't smart, so voters and even other politicians took matters into their own hands. Some people said a Black man being seen as supporting marijuana would have looked bad but that's ? because voters in mostly White states are approving marijuana use more then anyone else. The exception is DC, the mostly Black city that also voted to legalize marijuana yesterday (proud of ya'll)

http://news.yahoo.com/marijuana-legalization-movement-declares-election-day-victory-061232865.html

Oregon became the third state to fully legalize marijuana Tuesday, while Washington, D.C., residents will soon be allowed to grow and possess ? without fear of legal repercussions. Despite a loss in Florida for medical marijuana, the twin victories prompted ? boosters to celebrate.

“It’s always an uphill battle to win a marijuana legalization initiative in a year like this when young people are so much less likely to vote, which makes today’s victory all the sweeter,” Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance, said. Pro-marijuana lobby groups significantly outspent opponents in Oregon, helping them win over voters who rejected a similar proposal in 2012.

That's not ? at all. White folks use drugs as much if not more the black folks, but blacks are over represented in prisons for drug offenses.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    I'm no fan of Obama either but even I'm surprised Republicans out of all people dominated tonight, considering they are worse in many ways.
    i'm not surprised at all, especially considering some of the campaigns they ran.
    ...but i AM surprised my illustrious state elected a Republican governor, especially when literally EVERY nonpartisan poll called the race wrong

Yeah Democrats had a very weak message for the avg voter. Not sure what their message was aside from "Republicans are worse", bad way to run a campaign. Democrats ran a horrible campaign because they basically ran away from much of what they did, minus abortion and women's rights.
  • kingblaze84
    edited November 2014
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

That's not ? at all. White folks use drugs as much if not more the black folks, but blacks are over represented in prisons for drug offenses.

Yeah but people in the nation overall are sympathetic to marijuana users, especially those using it for medical marijuana. Obama ? off a lot of his base, including myself, by refusing to declassify the drug and letting the feds raid medical marijuana farms despite American and Democratic support for medical marijuana. Only after voters in states legalized ? did Obama change his tune a little and catch up on opinion. But the damage has been done, obviously. Obama and his fellow Democrats, through arrogance, refused to listen to their base on this subject and as a result, people felt alienated and just stayed home.
  • janklow
    Options
    Yeah but people in the nation overall are sympathetic to marijuana users, especially those using it for medical marijuana. Obama ? off a lot of his base, including myself, by refusing to declassify the drug and letting the feds raid medical marijuana farms despite American and Democratic support for medical marijuana.
    dude ran for office with a high-level drug warrior as his running mate. what did people expect?

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options

Yeah but people in the nation overall are sympathetic to marijuana users, especially those using it for medical marijuana. Obama ? off a lot of his base, including myself, by refusing to declassify the drug and letting the feds raid medical marijuana farms despite American and Democratic support for medical marijuana. Only after voters in states legalized ? did Obama change his tune a little and catch up on opinion. But the damage has been done, obviously. Obama and his fellow Democrats, through arrogance, refused to listen to their base on this subject and as a result, people felt alienated and just stayed home.

They are sympathetic up until the point that a black man is down, and then the faux noise machine will kick in and democrats distance themselves as usual. What makes you think that Liberals would have gotten down for drugs over say their issues with the Wars and spying.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Yeah but people in the nation overall are sympathetic to marijuana users, especially those using it for medical marijuana. Obama ? off a lot of his base, including myself, by refusing to declassify the drug and letting the feds raid medical marijuana farms despite American and Democratic support for medical marijuana.
    dude ran for office with a high-level drug warrior as his running mate. what did people expect?

Lol I know, but Obama lied when he said he would let states make up their own mind when it comes to medical marijuana, he did the opposite for a long time and most of us actually believed him. To be fair he isn't cracking down on medical marijuana like he used to

• kingblaze84
    Options

They are sympathetic up until the point that a black man is down, and then the faux noise machine will kick in and democrats distance themselves as usual. What makes you think that Liberals would have gotten down for drugs over say their issues with the Wars and spying.

Easy, because Democrats in many places are openly voicing their support for medical marijuana. The hate against medical marijuana was always a Fox News problem, most Americans support it and Obama was on the wrong side of history by allowing the Justice Dept to raid thousands of medical marijuana shops all over the nation, even in places where medical marijuana was popular. BIG ? MISTAKE, the base was turned off. And Obama, if smarter, would have declassified the drug and make it even easier for feds to not ? down on medical marijuana shops in the nation.

Even Alaska voted for medical marijuana and recreational marijuana this Tuesday. All Democrats had to do was listen to the American people, especially their base, and the right directions could have been taken. Remember, marijuana was the most asked about question on the White House website, Obama admitted this several times. Obama could have taken this issue and ran with it. Instead, he looked too much like an establishment figure.
  • kingblaze84
    edited November 2014
    Options
    On the wars and spying, the base was turned off from Dems too. Edward Snowden made Obama and Democrats look a lot like Bush on national security. The base, especially minorities, didn't like that. They chose to stay home because they were so disgusted