School Me on Football (Not that fairy ass soccer ? )

Options
Purr
Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
Okay, most women do not know much about football (some dont care); however, I really want to learn about the sport, instead of looking at the men in tights and being a perv.

My questions

First

What does a running back do?

Second

What are the point of plays? Why cant someone just run the ball, when the quarterback throws it?

Third

What is the point of a defensive end playing on offense? Or do they even play on the offense?

Fourth

Why do you need linebackers to be so big? Wouldnt it be better for them to be lean, agile, and quick on defense?

Fifth

What is the point of a kicker? Why does football need a kicker?

Thanks fellas...

If you answer my questions,you will get an exclusive ? pics. :)

Comments

• bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1. A running back, not only run the ball, but they run routes and catch passes. They also block for the QB on passes and other running backs.

2. There are rules, just like in any other sport/game.

3. Defensive ends don't play offense, but a player can play on both(usually don't happen in College and Pro's)

4 Linebackers have to fight off the blocks of 300+ lbs offensive linemen and are usually involved in a lot of contact, you do have some leaner/ quicker linebackers, they usually rush the QB and cover Tight ends and running backs on pass plays.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Evilchuck wrote: »
    Okay, most women do not know much about football (some dont care); however, I really want to learn about the sport, instead of looking at the men in tights and being a perv.

My questions

First

What does a running back do? he runs the ball,catches the ball, blocks for other ball carriers, and on rare occasions throws the ball

Second

What are the point of plays? Why cant someone just run the ball, when the quarterback throws it? strategy, passing is more efficient a very good running backs picks up about 4 yards per run, a throw averages about 8 yards..(a first down is 10 yards, if there usnt a penalty or a loss of yards)

Third

What is the point of a defensive end playing on offense? Or do they even play on the offense? this is rare it happened last week and it only happens in the redzone where they may block then release for a chance at a reception... their job is defense... to eat qb's or sack them

Fourth

Why do you need linebackers to be so big? Wouldnt it be better for them to be lean, agile, and quick on defense? alot of those line backers are lean and agile despite their appearance, but they go through the teams opposing offensive line and some running backs and qbs are just as big as lbs

Fifth

What is the point of a kicker? Why does football need a kicker? I dont know.. but seriously its necessary some times a touchdown is not feasible so you kick for 3

Thanks fellas...

If you answer my questions,you will get an exclusive ? pics. :)

They better be your ? .. see I was just doing this to be kind and just noticed you said the ? must be uncovered, yours and oiled up and from this week

Because

tumblr_lr6iin5WY51r1npcho1_500.gif

• Purr
    Options
    @bgoat & @playmaker88 so can you teach me about the scoring of football...? it blows my mind on how weird the scoring is.
  • Purr
    Options
    What is the point of a defensive end playing on offense? Or do they even play on the offense? this is rare it happened last week and it only happens in the redzone where they may block then release for a chance at a reception... their job is defense... to eat qb's or sack them

Why dont they do this in college and the pros?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Touchdowns are 6 pts after the touchdown you typically kick the PAT

Point after Touchdown =7

Depending on the score and time/situation you go for 2.. which can be by run or pass from the goaline
  • Purr
    Options

Point after Touchdown =7

Depending on the score and time/situation you go for 2..

How do you go for 2 after a touchdown?!
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Because it comes down to skill set. Every position has a particular skill set and responsibilities. Just because a player has particular body type it doesn't necessarily mean they can play other positions. Defensive ends have an average build of 6'3 to 6'6 245 to 315 pounds. There job s is to rush the passer and play run defense. Most are not fast enough to play a skill position on offense or the don't have the skillset to play on the offensive line. It also has to do with injuries. Back before the 1960s players used toplay multiple positions but when that player got hurt it would pose a problem because you just lost a player who plays two positions.

i have no interest in your ? pics.
  • themadlionsfan
    Options

Point after Touchdown =7

You tell the refs you're going for to points. You must run a play that will get the player into the end zone with the ball. It's basically a normal play that you would see over the course of a game except if successful it counts for two plays.
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    These are free answers, there's no need for a pic btw:
    @bgoat & @playmaker88 so can you teach me about the scoring of football...? it blows my mind on how weird the scoring is.

You get 6 points for a touchdown and the extra kick aka PAT (if successful) earns you 7 points. You can earn up to 8 points if you successfully complete a 2pt conversion instead of the extra kick.

You can obtain 2 points(called a safety) if you tackle an opponent in their endzone, recover a fumble in their endzone or block a punt in their endzone.

Usually in the NFL, players have a specific position that don't deviate from. However some players are so athletic and versatile they can play multiple positions (this is a common occurrence on the high school football level).

Point after Touchdown =7

The same way a team scores a touchdown, instead of kicking the PAT, they call a play designed to score a touchdown. However instead of getting 6 points for it like you would a regular touchdown, you get 2 points for it - which is more the 1 point earned after kicking the PAT.

• Purr
    Options

Because it comes down to skill set. Every position has a particular skill set and responsibilities. Just because a player has particular body type it doesn't necessarily mean they can play other positions. Defensive ends have an average build of 6'3 to 6'6 245 to 315 pounds. There job s is to rush the passer and play run defense. Most are not fast enough to play a skill position on offense or the don't have the skillset to play on the offensive line. It also has to do with injuries. Back before the 1960s players used toplay multiple positions but when that player got hurt it would pose a problem because you just lost a player who plays two positions.

My ? pics are a marketing ploy.

Anyways, what is a passer? Why would a defensive end rush a passer? Do they catch the ball too?

Why is the person needed to hike the ball? Cant the quarterback just throw it.
  • Purr
    Options
    What does a 2pt conversion looks like after a PAT?!
  • bgoat
    Options

Anyways, what is a passer? Why would a defensive end rush a passer? Do they catch the ball too?

Passer is usually the QB. The defensive End is trying to ? the QB. That's one of his main jobs. Their job is to stop the Offense from getting(10yrds) 1st downs in 3 or 4 plays. The offense will try to gain 10yrds in 3 or 4 plays to gain 1st downs. Repeat the process until you score a field goal or TD.
  • themadlionsfan
    Options

The passers is the quarterback. A Defensive End Will Rush THE Passes To Get A Sack (A sack is a play where the quarterback is tackled before he can pass the ball.) You want to rush the passer because when a quarterback has lots of time to throw he usually has a very good game. If you put pressure on the quarterback you could cause an errant throw or a turnover.

The center hikes the ball to a quarterback. It's set up that way s o the offense doesn't have an unfair competitive advantage. If the quarterback were to start with the ball every play. It wouldn't be fair to the defense.
  • bgoat
    Options

What does a 2pt conversion looks like after a PAT?!

PAT = Point(s) after Touchdown.

You can only pick 1

Extra point conversion = field goal kick after a TD
    2point conversion = is a regular offensive play that counts as 2 points if converted after the TD
  • Purr
    Options
    How many positions are there in football?

What is the point of the coach having headphones on?

If it is to call the play, why doesnt the quarterback have a bluetooth?
  • themadlionsfan
    Options

11 positions on defense offense and special teams

head coach has headphones to communicate with the rest of the coaching staff

quarterback has a two way radio in his helmet to communicate with head coach and offensive coaching staff.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you ? serious? Lol
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »
    Are you ? serious? Lol

Anytime I can educate a woman on football I take it upon myself to do so. One less woman annoying her man on
    Football sunday. This is a movement you should embrace. Lord knows I've been trying to get my woman to study during the season for 5 years. : :(
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
  • Purr
    Options

quarterback has a two way radio in his helmet to communicate with head coach and offensive coaching staff.

Whoa!!! Thats freaking crazy. I didnt know that!!

Are there two coaching staff? One for offensive, defensive, but what special team?

What is a special team?! ? ! Thats the group that blitz right?!
  • Purr
    Options
    Whats a blitz?
  • themadlionsfan
    Options

Whoa!!! Thats freaking crazy. I didnt know that!!

Are there two coaching staff? One for offensive, defensive, but what special team?

What is a special team?! ? ! Thats the group that blitz right?!

Three basic coaching staffs made up of units of other coaches who coach the positions.

Offensive coaching staff made up of quarterback coach, running back coach, wide receiver coach, offensive line coach.

Defensive coaching staff made up of defensive line coach, linebacker coach, defensive back coach. All coaches may or may not have assistants.

Special teams do not blitz. Speaking teams make up of the kickoff team, kick off return team, punt team, punt return team, field goal team and the field goal block team. Special teams also has a coach. May or may not have assistant.

And the head coach is the boss of them all. He has the final say on all tactics.
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
    Whats a blitz?

A blitz is a play designed to send more players than the offense can block to attack the quarterback.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Listen Girl ... All You Need To Know ...Is That This Right Here?
    Cheap%20Reebok%20Dallas%20Cowboys%20Customized%20White%20Men%20Jerseys.jpg

Is The Holy Cloth .....

Whats an onside kick? ..... Dallas Cowboys
    Whats a 2 minute warning? .... Dallas Cowboys
    Whats a Neutral Zone Infraction? ..... Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Cowboys is the answer to all of your questions bae ... and you know i wouldn't lie to you

you just put that Jersey on and look cute ..... and you aint gone have nothing to worry about... TRUST ME
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Listen Girl ... All You Need To Know ...Is That This Right Here?
    Cheap%20Reebok%20Dallas%20Cowboys%20Customized%20White%20Men%20Jerseys.jpg

Is The Holy Cloth .....

Whats an onside kick? ..... Dallas Cowboys
    Whats a 2 minute warning? .... Dallas Cowboys
    Whats a Neutral Zone Infraction? ..... Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Cowboys is the answer to all of your questions bae ... and you know i wouldn't lie to you

you just put that Jersey on and look cute ..... and you aint gone have nothing to worry about... TRUST ME

Dont let this ? confine you to a life of hardship, pain and agony. Come over here and ? with the real ma

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTG3HNuEw9uXD_wVe0iaS8UANrMqzyUF1h1L24nJXr8zNwpaTmx4Q