Eric Holder To Resign As Attorney General

Options

Comments

• a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

D. Morgan wrote: »

You posted a lot and like said in my other post he did some things positive and he has some ? on there just everybody else. Truth is in the details if you dig and look close enough you can see the both the positive and the ? . So don't come in here dropping links like you really dropping knowledge like how dare I question wtf Eric Holder has done. Nobody on this ? earth is beyond reproach

You are agreeing the man has made a positive "measurable" impact in people lives?

Okay,cool

Now stop whining about his "? "
    Because no one ever said the man was a damn Saint.

But if you want to post up articles and links detailing his "? ",please do

To any credibility,I just hope they are not from the following

fox new.com/

breitbart.com/
    dailycaller.com/

theblaze.com/
    stormfront.com
    www.redstate.com/
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So you didnt want to be informed at all your mind was made up so why even ask

How you get that from my reply to the links you gave? Cause I don't agree with your position on Holder 100% my mind was made up? Did I say everything posted about what he had done is a lie? I don't get where you coming from with that stance.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • stackmaster 313
    stackmaster 313 Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WASHINGTON — Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. is resigning from his post, the Justice Department said Thursday. Mr. Holder will remain in office until a successor is nominated and confirmed.

Mr. Holder, the 82nd attorney general and the first African-American to serve in that position, had previously said he planned to leave office by the end of this year.

Particularly in President Obama’s second term, Mr. Holder has been the most prominent liberal voice of the administration, leading its push for same-sex marriage and voting rights.

After the recent shooting of an unarmed black teenager by a white police officer, Mr. Holder volunteered to go to Ferguson, Mo., as the administration’s emissary.

A senior White House official said the president was “a long way” from announcing Mr. Holder’s replacement. Frequently mentioned candidates for the job include: Kathryn Ruemmler, the former White House counsel; Gov. Deval Patrick of Massachusetts; Donald B. Verrilli Jr., the former solicitor general; former Gov. Jennifer M. Granholm of Michigan; Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, Democrat of Rhode Island; and Loretta E. Lynch, the United States attorney in Brooklyn.

The Justice Department said Mr. Holder finalized his plans to leave in an hourlong conversation with Mr. Obama at the White House over Labor Day weekend. A formal announcement was scheduled for Thursday afternoon at the White House.

Mr. Holder is a former federal prosecutor and Superior Court judge in Washington and served as the deputy attorney general under Attorney General Janet Reno.

A child of the civil rights era, Mr. Holder was shaped by images of violence in Selma, Ala. He joined sit-ins at Columbia University, where protesters renamed an office after Malcolm X. He has frequently spoken in personal terms about civil rights, including about his experiences as a prosecutor in Washington and as a college student, when he was stopped by the police.

As attorney general, he has pushed to change what he sees as fundamental inequities in the criminal justice system. He told prosecutors not to seek long sentences for low-level crime, and he pushed to eliminate those sentences for nonviolent drug crimes. He has joined with liberal Democrats and libertarian-minded Republicans to advocate for the most sweeping liberalization of sentencing laws since the beginning of the War on Drugs.

Early this week, Mr. Holder announced that the federal prison population declined this year for the first time since 1980. He projected the decline would continue for the next two years.

But his record on civil liberties has earned him fewer accolades. He authorized subpoenas directed at journalists and approved the Central Intelligence Agency’s killing of Anwar al-Awlaki, an American citizen working with the Al Qaeda branch in Yemen. Mr. Holder signed off on the National Security Agency’s authority to sweep up the phone records of millions of Americans not charged with any crime.

Mr. Holder was among Mr. Obama’s first nominees to the cabinet. The president-elect announced his selection on the same day he announced his choice of Hillary Rodham Clinton to be secretary of state.

The new attorney general quickly became an outspoken voice on issues that remained sensitive for a first-term president, especially race. While Mr. Obama only rarely confronted issues of race and discrimination, Mr. Holder emerged as a forceful advocate in those areas.

Mr. Holder was also a lightening rod, attracting partisan venom in Congress that might otherwise have been aimed more squarely at the president. He was attacked by critics in the wake of a botched gun program along the border with Mexico. Republican lawmakers in the House held Mr. Holder in contempt of Congress.

With Mr. Holder’s imminent departure, Mr. Obama must now find a successor who can follow through on Mr. Holder’s initiatives for the remainder of the president’s second term.

Mr. Holder’s successor will play a central role shaping the legal policies behind the war Mr. Obama is waging in Iraq and Syria. The new attorney general will also have a big hand in helping enact new executive orders that Mr. Obama has announced, including a change in immigration policy that is expected after the midterm elections.

I hope Granholm gets his job. Wonder why he stepped down
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still believe Pres gon pull a coup de gras right before he leave office. Yall better kno...and it's gonna be something that can't be reversed, will benefit blacks and minorities primarily and have the whole world in shock.. it aint something he can do before the time come.
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    D. Morgan wrote: »

You posted a lot and like said in my other post he did some things positive and he has some ? on there just everybody else. Truth is in the details if you dig and look close enough you can see the both the positive and the ? . So don't come in here dropping links like you really dropping knowledge like how dare I question wtf Eric Holder has done. Nobody on this ? earth is beyond reproach

You are agreeing the man has made a positive "measurable" impact in people lives?

Okay,cool

Now stop whining about his "? "
    Because no one ever said the man was a damn Saint.

But if you want to post up articles and links detailing his "? ",please do

To any credibility,I just hope they are not from the following

fox new.com/

breitbart.com/
    dailycaller.com/

theblaze.com/
    stormfront.com
    www.redstate.com/

LLS at you talking about I'm whining so now basically all the ? you saying is the same ? the people from those sites you posted do. If a person doesn't agree 100% then something is wrong with them. Get the ? outta here. If you read my reply to the person I was actually conversing with then you would see that I said nobody is perfect. So in actuality WTF are you even talking about? Some of the ? is actually in the links both of yall provided and if you don't see that oh well ? well.
  • a.mann
    Options
    Is guy serious....?
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    At this point you just typing to be ? typing moving on
  • a.mann
    Options
    You gon cry now...?
  • D. Morgan
    Options
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Holder has a pretty mixed legacy. For liberals he'll be remembered for fighting against unfair voting practices and various other civil rights cases and for conservatives they'll scream about fast & furious, lack of border strengthening etc.

His resignation will embolden the opposition party because his replacement has to be confirmed and the democrats are too weak willed to nominate and fight for someone with real liberal moxy to that position. This is also a big issue when it comes to Holder maybe getting a run at the Supreme Court. Obama and co. don't have the ? to fight.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan.. i assume ur new here..
    u gotta wait til a.mann logs off if u dont want to be harassed and berated for talkin about his boo 'bama...

? will textually scratch ur face up about his president. lol
  • a.mann
    Options

Can always expect a lil sass and back talk from a dude that wears eyeliner and mascara
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Holder's work in the civil rights arena should be praised IMO.

I don't consider his works to be a mixed bag, but I did disagree with some of them, such as his handling of white collar crime (he's the one who made the push for corporations receiving fines, instead of shutting them down, which resulted in corporations rarely having to admit wrong-doing if they throw enough money at it), this was initiated before he became AG if I'm not mistaken tho.

with that said, his addressing of the Rockefeller Laws, his willingness to challenge what happened in Ferguson, the Trayvon Martin situation (even if the government's hands were somewhat tied), and other civil rights issues outweigh any negative issues I've ever had of the way he handled his time in office.

the fact that so many members of the GOP are openly berating him since the announcement lets me know that he was doing a good job with the resources he had in place.
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    Options
    read somewhere that Deval Patrick (current gov of Massachusetts) is looking like a likely replacement, but they gotta find a Lieutenant Gov for Massachusetts first. there were other names listed as well, but I want Mr. Patrick in that role, if possible.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    read somewhere that Deval Patrick (current gov of Massachusetts) is looking like a likely replacement, but they gotta find a Lieutenant Gov for Massachusetts first. there were other names listed as well, but I want Mr. Patrick in that role, if possible.

Patrick said AG job not for him right now
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    Damn why? Did something happen?

He been wanted to step down, but Obama asked him to stay,so he looked after his boy.

Why now?

Could be getting ready for that robe and seat next to ? Thomas.....

I hope this is the case

Crazy talk. The next Senate is not going to vote him onto the Supreme Court.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fined the ? out of Wall Street but no arrests for financial fraud?

Rebuilt the civil rights dept after it was gutted by W. Admin
    Criminal justice reform - reducing sentences for non violent acts - will it last when the Repub get back in power?

Off the top of my head, I'm going to give brother Holder a...6.5/10

Can we basically admit that Obama's presidency was a failure. It's not all his fault, but it is what it is.

S&P says otherwise, I caught a lick from that.
    The Home owners modification program was a waste. ACA is a plus, drone wars a minus.
    Guantanamo still open, I could go back and forth. He's been slightly above average. But presidents truly get judged 10-20 years after. Hindsight may help or hurt him, it ain't helping W.

Clinton was overrated in some regards, see: deregulation, tough on crime ? . Just because he has black friends im not giving him a pass.
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    The American killed in Yemen without due process is fuckery in theory, but that's not how the World works is it? They labeled the man an "imminent threat" and killed him. ? doesn't sit well with me, why not capture him and bring him to justice? Maybe easier said than done. Part of the drone wars that BHO ramped up.

Didn't like that he said publicly that prosecuting certain corporations may have hurt the global economy. No conspiracy theory needed people.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2821741
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    that ? needed to go he kept embarrassing President Obama

Read the politico piece, they may have done some of it on purpose.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/the-survivor-108018.html
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Criminal justice reform - reducing sentences for non violent acts - will it last when the Repub get back in power?

Can we basically admit that Obama's presidency was a failure. It's not all his fault, but it is what it is.

The Home owners modification program was a waste. ACA is a plus, drone wars a minus.
    Guantanamo still open, I could go back and forth. He's been slightly above average. But presidents truly get judged 10-20 years after. Hindsight may help or hurt him, it ain't helping W.

Clinton was overrated in some regards, see: deregulation, tough on crime ? . Just because he has black friends im not giving him a pass.

You're right. It's premature to say his presidency is a failure. However, a large part of the reason I say that is because I think a lot of the things that he did that may impact the future will be undone depending on who gets in office.

Also, I don't think Clinton was overrated. There are some who believe he was the "First Black President" or our best buddy while he was in office. Those people aren't overrating him. They just don't know what they are talking about. Clinton gets credit because he didn't treat Black people like we didn't matter. He at least made they effort to appeal to us on our grounds. He deserves credit for that. That's pretty much where it ends. Aside from that, he's like any other president. He did some bad and some good. The proportions of those depend entirely on who you ask.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's true in quite a few cases where they overhauled a system. For instance, Reagan pretty much changed the economics and education systems we see how that is working today. In about 10 years we will see how Obamacare will be treating us because it drastically changed the healthcare market. To be quite honest it's his signature piece of legislation and the only real thing about his presidency we will still be discussing in 10-15 years.
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    It's a reminder that the clock is ticking, Holder been there's since '09. January 2017 isn't that far away.

What can he get done with congress? Especially since GOP may have both chambers.

• fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn. eric holder did ? for black ppl that Obama didnt want to do. Especially relating to Fergusson.

This is a gotdamn shame, he was actually a real ? ...and usually didnt give a damn about being politically correct.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He may have left the economy in good shape, but Clinton was not good for blk people

-Welfare reform
    -NAFTA
    -His admin birthed the 3 strike rule

Black people actually got poorer during his presidency and the incarceration sky rocketed

On the other hand Obama has helped blks get health insurance, lowered the student loan interest rate, cut mandatory sentencing for federal drug offenses, etc

Though his efforts weren't nearly enough Obama has done more to develop policies to help blacks than his last 3 predecessors combined

So for all that he has done I hold him in a higher regard than Clinton ...so much so that I get offended when someone refers to clinton as the first blk president

And a republican president is not going to repel Obama care it would be a disaster ... The far right just uses the threat of repel to rally their base