video proves cops shot guy in Walmart immediately, for no reason

Options
janklow
janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
just so we don't let this case slip out of the public consciousness...
Video Proves Cops Shot Guy in Walmart Immediately, For No Reason
Video footage has been released in the shooting death of John Crawford, the man who was gunned down in a Beavercreek, Ohio, Walmart by cops who apparently thought he was armed and dangerous. In reality, Crawford had picked up a pellet rifle from the hardware section of the store and was carrying it around while he talked on the phone.

The police maintained that Crawford had refused orders to drop the weapon; the video footage proves definitively that that was not the case—the cops shot the man almost immediately after encountering him. Claims in some media outlets that Crawford had been walking around the store and pointing the gun at people also seem false, unless those occurrences happened during the few seconds that Crawford was out of range of the surveillance camera.

Nevertheless, a grand jury declined to indict the two officers involved, according to The Huffington Post. The U.S. Department of Justice will look into the matter, however.

When this story first broke, many wondered whether mitigating factors would emerge to explain, if not justify, the reaction of law enforcement officers. To my eyes at least, the surveillance video confirms the worst case scenario: The cops killed this man for almost no reason whatsoever.

Comments

• Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Don't know if this has been posted yet.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=S9FtNOV6Qhk

Disgusting. He wasn't doing anything. He was just standing there.

They lied and said that he was pointing it at children and resisting arrest.
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow...*SMH* Seems like he heard Shots and Moved like any other person would, and they shot his ass Down like ? Call of Duty or some ? .
    Didn't tell him to Drop his "Weapon" or anything . *SMH*SMH*SMH*
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    indyman87 wrote: »
    Why Wal-Mart allow for pellet guns open out on the shelf to be picked up like that in the first place? I'm 100 percent positive that he was not the first person to pick up a pellet gun and carry it around like that.

His only mistake was not being conscious that he's a Black man and that his actions of picking up the gun and walking around with it could be perceived as a threat.

He was mixed and might not have been in touch with his blackness, he was in colorado after all, when I first came to va, ? thought I was crazy cuz I'd act like slave when white females came around "yall best get way from them white girls for ? come wit his shotgun" my pops taught me at a young age that although there may be nothing going on,but your perception as a black male in america in the public is negative and white females almost sacred so you need to be extra conscious about how your actions are perceived, so especially to have a rifle...that ? wasnt a conscious brother
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    CoogiKen wrote: »
    Why Wal-Mart allow for pellet guns open out on the shelf to be picked up like that in the first place? I'm 100 percent positive that he was not the first person to pick up a pellet gun and carry it around like that.

His only mistake was not being conscious that he's a Black man and that his actions of picking up the gun and walking around with it could be perceived as a threat.

He was mixed and might not have been in touch with his blackness, he was in colorado after all, when I first came to va, ? thought I was crazy cuz I'd act like slave when white females came around "yall best get way from them white girls for ? come wit his shotgun" my pops taught me at a young age that although there may be nothing going on,but your perception as a black male in america in the public is negative and white females almost sacred so you need to be extra conscious about how your actions are perceived, so especially to have a rifle...that ? wasnt a conscious brother

First thing, this happenned in Ohio, in the suburbs of Dayton (a city with a lot of black people), not in Colorado. Second, it don't matter how conscious anybody is, nobody can reasonably have the idea that they might be killed for picking up an item that's on the shelf and it be justified. Like dude said they had it out and open, so people obviously pick up the things if they're going to buy them. Somebody has to go down for this. That caller needs to be charged for manslaughter or negligent homicide or something. Ain't no way that ? can just walk around like it's all good since his actions directly resulted in an innocent person being gunned down. That's damn near a murder charge if you think about it. He pretty much ordered a hit on a whim and had the police execute it.

How many black men do they realistically think they can ? before Black men start killing back?
    Too real
  • GodNThaBuild'n
    GodNThaBuild'n Members Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He wasn't even pointing the gun at anybody
  • bigbird_1
    bigbird_1 Members Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ass caller and punk ass police. Both should be held accountable. What's the latest info on the caller anyway?
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Retraining is beyond necessary and severe actions needs to be taken against officers
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Retraining is beyond necessary and severe actions needs to be taken against officers
    I said this before and will say it 1000 times more you can't train character
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigbird_1 wrote: »
    ? ass caller and punk ass police. Both should be held accountable. What's the latest info on the caller anyway?

When the police were interrogating him they basically showed him the video to give him a chance to change his statement about him pointing the gun at people. They can't erase the 911 dispatch call though.
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? !!!

Knew this was going to make feel like ? and still watched.

? .

This is sad.
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've got to wonder what kind of legal action can be taken against the caller. They say you can't yell fire in a crowded theater so why should you be able to make police calls based on a lie that ends in someone's death? The police have already been able to skate on this one and I'm not surprised.
  • Gain Green
    Gain Green Members Posts: 15
    Options
    when will we all start being strapped and ready to defend our lives
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    CoogiKen wrote: »

First thing, this happenned in Ohio, in the suburbs of Dayton (a city with a lot of black people), not in Colorado. Second, it don't matter how conscious anybody is, nobody can reasonably have the idea that they might be killed for picking up an item that's on the shelf and it be justified. Like dude said they had it out and open, so people obviously pick up the things if they're going to buy them. Somebody has to go down for this. That caller needs to be charged for manslaughter or negligent homicide or something. Ain't no way that ? can just walk around like it's all good since his actions directly resulted in an innocent person being gunned down. That's damn near a murder charge if you think about it. He pretty much ordered a hit on a whim and had the police execute it.

How many black men do they realistically think they can ? before Black men start killing back?

First let me say I agree with your comments. But the bold. It hurts to say but a whole lot more.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just don't understand people. I read some of the comments below the video and this one guy is fighting hard that the dude dying was his own fault because he shouldn't have been walking around the store with the gun out like that. Now, I can say that black man would be wise not to walk around with a gun (real or not) in a store in a predominantly white area. That's a recipe for trouble. That said, he didn't do anything wrong and whether his actions were unwise or not, he didn't deserve to die. It's so crazy that this guy would see this story and put so much effort into calling this guy an idiot instead of simply acknowledging that the police went way too far and this man died for no reason.
  • janklow
    Options
    I read some of the comments below the video and this one guy is fighting hard that the dude dying was his own fault because he shouldn't have been walking around the store with the gun out like that.
    i hate to leap right to this argument, but there's a strong percentage of people making that argument because what they REALLY mean is "black guy had it coming for being black"

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    I read some of the comments below the video and this one guy is fighting hard that the dude dying was his own fault because he shouldn't have been walking around the store with the gun out like that.
    i hate to leap right to this argument, but there's a strong percentage of people making that argument because what they REALLY mean is "black guy had it coming for being black"

Maybe so. If only they were smart enough to see that, may they could change. But more likely they still wouldn't give a ? .
  • janklow
    Options
    Maybe so. If only they were smart enough to see that, may they could change. But more likely they still wouldn't give a ? .
    it also really depends what you prioritize.
    there are dudes out there who are racist/bigoted/etc to some degree who STILL manage to notice that in this case, the caller and the police egregiously ? up. then you have dudes whose prime concern is, "uh-oh, black people." and they probably are aware of their concern (but maybe not how ? up said concern is).

to some extent it might even be progress that otherwise-racist people can see what happened and take issue with it, i guess. we're just not all the way there yet.

• blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm convinced the caller knew exactly what he was doing. The way he described the ? to the 911 dispatcher was very detailed as if he had plenty time to see this ? . It was some real sneeky ? he pulled. He needs to be in jail for pulling that fuckery. The fact nobody is questioning him don't add up
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Cops getting away with murder, just another day in America