Let's talk about O.P.P.

Darth Sidious
Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
No, not the song, although that was pretty good. I am talking about 'Other People's Passions'

Many of us have hobbies or things we do just for the sake of enjoyment rather than a financial gain.

To outsiders, it can seem odd, quirky or a lot of work but more often than not, pretty interesting. I am talking about the collectors out there, the 'hobbyists', the 'enthusiasts', the 'fanatics', the tinkerers & innovators etc.

A lot of times these people find others with the same interests and build communities of their own with gatherings and a culture and language of their very own.

I find this stuff fascinating so I thought it would be interesting to share some.

The first group I find interesting are 'Civil War reenactors' ( mainly because this is the most popular form of war reenactment in the US. )

These are people who travel from great distances, spend considerable amount of time and money equipping themselves to look appropriate to the period, learning about the traditions of the time, practice their drills and spend a weekend reenacting a battles fought 100+ years ago.

The notion is just wild to me but nonetheless, fascinating.

American Civil War reenactment

American Civil War reenactment is an effort to recreate the appearance of a particular battle or other event associated with the American Civil War by hobbyists known (in the United States) as Civil War reenactors, Civil War recreationists, or living historians. Although most common in the United States, there are also American Civil War reenactors in Canada, the United Kingdom,[1] Germany,[2] Australia,[3] and Italy.[4]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNK7cS2tJgg

Comments