Dear White People (2014)

Options

Comments

• kingMansaMusa
    kingMansaMusa Members Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Options
    bruh ? collage imma sell these drugs to white kids till the white man lock me up
  • kingMansaMusa
    Options
    so this movie ? me off these ? aint black they some dark ass crackers cuh
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Give a thought out response when you finish fam instead of ? this ? that im interested i hearing some complete thoughts
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Give a thought out response when you finish fam instead of ? this ? that im interested i hearing some complete thoughts

Find another forum.

This ? actually said "educated blacks who wanna be white".

smh
  • kingMansaMusa
    Options
    if i attended this institute of higher learning

id be busting all the stains,? all the hoes nd selling all dank see me posted on campus throwing up gang signs cuh catch me in the female dorms hitting ? bongs catch me at lunch stealing ? lunches nd re selling it to them
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we got the spoiled son of a dean who just wanna smoke danks nd ? cave ? ,the campus black panther outhere ? white boys,the nerdy ? black kid who hate black people and then theres the nubian goddess who just wanna be an attention ?

everybody in this movie is portraying a ? ?

? was funny and it holds true .. .

These new ? aren't about that life at all
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Overall premise of the movie was, integration, n low key white supremacy.

The movie shows, Despite, blacks n whites sharing the same space, n interacting with each other in all the elements, theres still a major race problem.
    Just because u r prestigiously employed in a white institution, have a white g/f or b/f dosent mean things are better.

The college affluent setting was perfect.
    white ppl tend to justify racism, by claiming its not a race issue. it just things, that only occurs to lower income, uneducated incoherent thugs, who sag there pants.
    Which is false, because Obama is none of that, and he still faces racism. And the movie displays that notion wonderfully.

Of course there's propaganda. they made the biracial girl, who was making the most sense, and dropping the most jewls, pull a 180.
    It reminded of planet of the apes, when half way through the movie, they made Koba the savage.
    But any trained mind, can seperate the proganda from the jewls.

Alot of ppl are confused, because the plot didnt center around 1 individual. instead it centered around multiple ppl's, stories and their interaction within the actual "main charater", the campus.
    there are layers to the movie, for instance the biracial girl n her racial dilemna.
    she was biracial, yet a black leader, and was creeping with the same side she was against. that's very agent like... Biracial ppl arent technically black, they're biracial, and the movie delve into that.

Then the ? guy...
    Because both blacks n ? have struggles. Alotta ? are on some, ? is the new black, ? . Not realizing ? whites, like straight whites r still racist towards blacks in general...
    the movie displayed that. the ? white dude, viewed the ? black dude as his sex toy. no different than how the average whites , view blacks in hetereosexual relationships...

I could on, but I'll save the rest 4 another day.

• Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we got the spoiled son of a dean who just wanna smoke danks nd ? cave ? ,the campus black panther outhere ? white boys,the nerdy ? black kid who hate black people and then theres the nubian goddess who just wanna be an attention ?

everybody in this movie is portraying a ? ?

I said the exact same ? like all these ? are killing themslevs
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Most of people hate it, because they disliked characters which is stupid, since movie is satire both on whites and blacks and relations between them. I liked it very much. It reminded me of School Daze, which of course was better and dealt with different type of racism. Actually I liked presence of various characters, where each of them symbolized different kind. ACtors did excellent job
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It reminded me of School Daze, which of course was better and dealt with different type of racism.

Just watched it.

It reminded me of School Daze as well. The director seemed to either be a fan of Spike or have a similar shooting style with the camera angles and frames.
    I actually didn't like school daze tho with all that musical singing ? . Ruined it.

Dear White People was a pretty good film. Not great or anything but 3/5.

Some of the comments on here are ? terrible & truly sad.

The movie says its about having a black face in a white place. And the movie depicts that from the perspectives that are there.

Also, i cant tell if this guy is an idiot or just trollin with these comments...
    if i attended this institute of higher learning

id be busting all the stains,? all the hoes nd selling all dank see me posted on campus throwing up gang signs cuh catch me in the female dorms hitting ? bongs catch me at lunch stealing ? lunches nd re selling it to them

• texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Movie was wack...foh thinking this was better than school daze. You must didn't attend a black university
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    I turned that ? off when that fake ass pro black ? started ? with the white boy.

Higher Learning >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Higher Learning >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I just saw this movie on netflix, here's my take:

The whole movie IMO is about how Blacks struggle with identity and social interactions with other Blacks because in White Society, we dont have the option of being who we WANT to be. In "white space" you are never an individual, you are a ROLE.

After reading some reviews of the movie, it seems that Sams character arc (played by Tessa Thompson) was the most polarizing and some even accuse the movie of cooning due to how her character ends up. I think I understood what Director Justin Simien was trying to convey, so heres my take:

Sam starts the movie as the loudest black voice on campus. Pro Black and in your face she is the de facto leader of all things progressively Black. With her winning the election as Head of House, she's primed to ensure that the concerns of Blacks are being heard and real change will be made.

However we see that this is a ROLE Sam is playing. Just as Troy was playing the ROLE of "Cool BLACK Guy" to the White Kids. Just as CoCo was playing the role of "Bourgie Barbie Black Girl". And Lionel? He was ostracized because he was a ? geeky Black kid, he didnt fit into any conventional role.

In reality? Sam is completely overworked. She's involved in pretty much every Pro Black cause around but...she's barely passing her classes. Her (white) father is sick with heart disease and she barely any time to check in with her mother and no time to visit. The reality is that Sam's a film nerd whose time would probably be much better spent actually making films, but because of a combination of:

1. Black voices being so suppressed at her school/society in general

and

2. The dilemma that Mulattos face in that they have to "choose sides"

..Sam has fully committed herself to the role of Angry Black College Liberal because that's the space that WHITE SOCIETY has shaped for her to be active and have her voice heard. And Sam feels she has to stay in character, even if it means being completely overwhelmed by extra curriculars. Even if it means keeping her white lover secret.

The ? of the movie finds Sam realizing she's completely neglected whats important (her family, her education, white boyfriend Gabe) because her role has gotten out of control. Even worse is that people (like love interest Reggie) have projected and pushed THEIR aspirations and THEIR goals onto her without ever stepping up to do it themselves or asking if she really wanted to do it in the first place (this is basically verified when, spoiler alert, its revealed
    Reggie sabotaged the Head of House race without Sams knowledge so Sam could win so she could push agendas for the Black Student Union
    ).

So Sam realizes that whats BEST FOR HER is stepping back from campus life and getting back to what really matters (for her its once again, family, film and Gabe). I don't think it means she doesn't care or will no longer be active about Black issues; she just now will do under her own terms.

So with that said, I can see how a lotta people took the wrong message given how complex the central character of the movie was.

Not to be honest, I didnt care for the White Boyfriend angle. I feel in a predominantly Black movie, the need to showcase Black Love and admirable Black Male Figures was important and what do you know, most of the Black Males in the movie were extremely flawed (Lionel has the most admirable and complete character arc but he was ? and I know how alot of yall feel about that) and all the Black relationships didnt last. Mind you, Justin Simien has no obligation do so, its his movie, his vision. I just would've liked to see any POC as Sam's love interest as opposed to "probably upper middle class, sensitive, artsy White Guy".
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Told yall it was trash
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eh

Spike Lee rip off kinda like @boogasuga said

Its on netflix if u interested
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It just basically made us to look like confused hypocrites. The main chick doing all the shouting and raising hell was confused cause her lame ass was with a cac and the symbol for the movie (dude with the afro) was a ? . ? just was an attempt to get black dollars and was something totally different from what they marketed
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was alright, oh girl was phony though. This movie prolly resounded better with teens and younger college age folks who don't really "know who they are" yet.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A$AP_A$TON wrote: »
    It was alright, oh girl was phony though. This movie prolly resounded better with teens and younger college age folks who don't really "know who they are" yet.

Truth. The older you get, you do gain SOME ability to bypass being socially pigeonholed as a black token of some kind.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was corny....The corny ? overshadowed the message
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not sure what people were looking for. The movie was enjoyable and touched on the many stereotypes we play into while trying to fit in with white america. It also shows how, no matter what type of black person u are: rich, poor, educated, etc., whites will find a way to hate your blackness. The message I got from the movie is that you should embrace your essence. Be who u are and not who u believe others will accept. Dope movie
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, dope movie. Really seems like the IC is stuck in a high school state of mind sometimes reading the criticisms of this movie.