What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Study: Online Dating Isn't As Efficient or Promising as We Think

Young_ChitlinYoung_Chitlin YCN Chief/FCC Member/#RedVelvetSquad Member/IC Task Force GeneralASUville, PhoenixPosts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
By: Isha Aran

While some may still be hesitant to join the flashy (sometimes literally) world of online dating, it's obviously becoming more of an appealing option for those who are currently witnessing their own existential demise at the hands of loneliness. Well, bad news folks: relationships that start online don't last as long as relationships that start offline.

Researchers from Stanford and Michigan State University wanted to see if using dating websites actually results in successful non-marital relationships, and looked at the break-up rate as well. In a SURVEY of 4,002 people, they found that breakups between unmarried and married people were more prominent in couples who met online, rather than couples who met in "offline venues."

The researchers pointed out that 1) the internet has waaaay too many options when it comes to dating—exclusivity is tough when you can always find something better, 2) the logistics of online communication means that online relationships simply take longer to develop, and 3) online daters take longer to build trust because the internet is still sketchy. You never know who's a real gentleman, and who is going to start a conversation with "Sit on my face please" (a message I definitely got this morning).

Don't worry, this doesn't mean that your relationship is doomed if you met your partner online, but it is certainly interesting. Is online dating just too casual? Does the fact that there are millions of people on OKCupid really lower our expectations of people while increasing our standards? According to the researchers, the success of a relationship simply depends on what you're looking for:

For married couples, it is important to have higher relationship quality to ensure marital longevity, while for romantic unmarried couples, it is important to spend time in developing the relationship to avoid breaking up.
By EJ Dickson

If you consider how many of your friends have met their significant others on Match.com or OkCupid, you know there’s considerably less stigma surrounding online dating than there was 10 or 15 years ago. But does that necessarily mean these relationships will be successful, 10 or 15 years down the line?

That’s what researchers at Stanford and Michigan State University wanted to know. In light of websites like eHarmony’s claims that more than a third of marriages start online, they recently polled more than 4,000 people to see whether eHarmony and OkCupid are as successful at predicting longterm romantic compatibility as they claim to be. Instead, they found the opposite: Couples who meet online are less likely to stay together longterm than those who meet offline.

According to the study, couples who meet on websites like eHarmony, Match.com, and ZOOSK are less likely to get married than couples who meet offline. Furthermore, even couples who meet on those sites and do end up getting married tend to break up at a higher rate than their offline counterparts. Perhaps most damning of all, online dating isn’t the most efficient way to find a romantic partner, with online couples taking a longer time on average to initiate a relationship than couples who met offline.

The reasons for this discrepancy, Michigan State University researcher Aditi Paul speculates, probably have to do with the fact that even though online dating is less stigmatized than it once was, we still tend to take online relationships a lot less seriously than ones in real life.

"We don't put in too much thought into online relationships," she wrote in the study. "Maybe this casualness that is associated with online relationship initiation impedes the development of the relationship in the long run.”

After all, if you don’t think of the guy you emoji-flirted with on Tinder as a serious dating prospect from the get-go, it’s unlikely that your views on him will evolve much six months down the line.

Do the results of this study mean that we should all delete our Tinder and OkCupid accounts en masse? Of course not. After all, not everyone is logging on to DATING WEBSITES and apps looking for a longterm romantic commitment. Even if you are, the study is quick to note that online dating isn’t a totally fruitless endeavour, as long as you take the time to build relationships with people and get to know them first.

“The more couples spend time with each other, the more they get to know the other person and develop interpersonal trust and intimacy with them,” the authors of the study wrote. “This leads to greater stability of the relationship, which in turn increases the odds of them staying together in the long run.”

So think about that the next time you’re half-heartedly thumbing through profiles on Tinder, swiping right for your soulmate.
¡No contaban con mi astucia!
5 Grand wrote: »
I see a lot of people saying they'd "give" family members money.

Thats not what you want to do.

You want to set up a trust fund so they get a monthly payment. You can set up a trust fund so your mother gets, say, $10,000 a month for the rest of her life. According to my math, $10,000 per month for 20 years is $2.4 million. That's better than giving her $2.4 million up front because she can blow it all in a matter of days and then she'll want more and you'd feel obligated to give it to her.

So if you win, don't "give" anybody anything. Set up a trust fund.

Now that I think about it, I could set up a trust fund for my brother. I'd give him $10,000 a month. He's about 45 now so $10,000 per month for 40 years is only $4.8 million. That makes more sense than giving him the money in one lump sum.

AggyAF wrote: »
Anyone else think it's crazy only about 10 posters regularly post here and we got damn near 500 pages?

All the other sports threads on here are people with hobbies. This is football - the beautiful game. We eat, sleep and drink football.

hqg-277.gif

Replies

• A Talented OneA Talented One stew Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, but why post this in the Powder Room?
  • kingblaze84kingblaze84 Bronx, NY birthplace of hip-hopPosts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Wow, I'm surprised to hear this, I know several people who had good relationships from meeting someone online, including myself
    Bussy_Getta King_MOEbraSionPiffyHazeMrMinimalist
  • loungeman02loungeman02 Posts: 212 ✭✭
    It doesn't work for me
    PiffyHazeTurfaholicBcotton5
  • trendsetta1030trendsetta1030 Where the money at...Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol were tha thots @?
    PiffyHaze
  • GSonIIGSonII Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Of course it is, you post a picture everyone sees it, only a few choose you. Inefficient because you put yourself out there for everybody but only catch a few if you lucky and that still does not mean you are going to catch the right one
  • tntn45tntn45 Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    The researchers pointed out that 1) the internet has waaaay too many options when it comes to dating—exclusivity is tough when you can always find something better, 2) the logistics of online communication means that online relationships simply take longer to develop, and 3) online daters take longer to build trust because the internet is still sketchy. You never know who's a real gentleman, and who is going to start a conversation with "Sit on my face please" (a message I definitely got this morning).

• kingblaze84kingblaze84 Bronx, NY birthplace of hip-hopPosts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Met my current gf on OKcupid. We've been dating for almost 3 years and have lived together for almost 2.

Personally, I don't view online dating as any different than meeting a girl in class or at the bar. It's just another medium to meet people. With online dating you get to meet people who you would not normally encounter at your regular hangout.

Very true, if one has patience and plays their cards right (and looks decent let's be real), then meeting people online can be easy as hell. I can write a book about the DOZENS of women I've met from Tagged and AOL. From all kinds of backgrounds, from project chicks to a rich accountant in the suburbs. I've traveled the nation meeting chicks from online, and my adventures show no signs of slowing down lol
    Melqart
  • Chi SnowChi Snow Night's Watch Castle BlackPosts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GTD is all that really matters when it comes to online dating

If you makes something more of it, cool but if you can't gtd, kys
    His hair?
    WACK
    His gear?
    WACK
    His jewelry?
    WACK
    His footstance?
    WACK
    The way he talks?
    WACK
    The way he doesn't even like to smile?
    WACK
    Me?
    I'm tight as FUCK
  • hustle100khustle100k Posts: 46 ✭✭✭
    tinder all day every day
    dasmooth1
  • TurfaholicTurfaholic It's not too complicated, but you're gonna need a bulletproof soul The Bay 2 Sin CityPosts: 20,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't work for me

Yea online shit dont flow smooth for me. Im goofy as fuck, shit comes off awkward initially via text.
    The Jacka Presents:
    Street Knowledge
    "Kill Yaself"

http://www94.zippyshare.com/v/bEsGQfVs/file.html
    Will MunnyBcotton5
  • Lou_CypherLou_Cypher Make Reasonable Choices. H. E. Double Hockey SticksPosts: 52,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One day ill convince six to move in with me
  • ShizlanskyShizlansky Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dating as a whole isn't efficient.
    (Really though?)
    soul rattler
  • MistyKnight MistyKnight YtDemonSlayer WakandaPosts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I met my husband online. Worked for us!
    AP21 wrote: »
    "yeah, I'ma stir up shit between two of the remaining 6 female posters on a male dominated site. Surely they'll like me after this"
    -the fatherless

"Yo, why she posting pictures in a pic thread brah. Who tf she think she is"
    -first ballot Hall of Fame fuck nigga

"A female just posted a pic? Word? Let me see if I can find something wrong with it to point out."
    -raised by a pack of sissies

"A female in a hip hop site? Noooooo. We can't have that"
    -closet homosexual
    Young_Chitlin
  • A Talented OneA Talented One stew Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Online dating is absolutely great. I meet so many different women that way. You can really kill it if you got a lot going for you and you do what you have to do on the dates. Just this week I went on three OKC dates (if you're wondering, none of them are black).
    fuc_i_look_likeMelqart
  • King_MOEbraKing_MOEbra Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Met my woman off Tagged.
    13434780_1743884425901195_1057805004825867569_n_zpscgc4wve5.jpg

FB_IMG_1477512302926_zpsafv7xnjd.jpg
    jetlifebihStewMistyKnight
  • SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 45,643 Regulator
    It's cool but you gotta be patient tho. People make profiles and if they don't get a response right away or things slow down, they just give up. It takes time and you gotta do it right, you can't slack on the profile shit either.

I think the old fashion way of going up to people and meeting them in casual places is still the best but most people scared to do that.
    IC Moderator and AHH Editor

http://community.allhiphop.com/categories/site-help

^^^ If you need anything go here

jono wrote: »
    This is the folly of the internet. Its become a bastion of misinformation, rumors, conspiracies and propaganda. A place where a person with no face or name can make accusations at any time with no verification or credentials and brainwash a small segment of people.
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    Message to the trills of the IC: May Legion Of Trill be your enemies downfall
    LUClENYoung_ChitlinStew