Options
af.r.i.c.a.
af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in The Reason
Who had the better album?

Oxymoron vs These Days... 35 votes

Q
60%
OhMarssapp08_2001infamous114just.might.b.oksr_the_freshmanawwwwwwwwwwwaf.r.i.c.a.lamontbdcStoneColdMikeyJDSTAYWITITandre_1024Built 4 cuban linxFyHunnitIceManKamA$AP_A$TONKamPushMeStillFaggyAFCashmoneyDuxBabaaaJonnyRoccIT 21 votes
Soul
40%
walwynrip.dillabdbdbdYamoleySenseiKLICHEBDBIIDLike WaterBrilliantRapscallionD.Originalericb4prezonetoughmiracleWiseGuyyjvliooBoogaSuga 14 votes

Comments

• BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soul
    Neither was that good... imma give it to Soul based on that 20min long spoken word battle. That was dope.

Schoolboy Q just isnt that good in the 1st place.
    Souls album was disappointing.
  • sr_the_freshman
    sr_the_freshman Members Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Q
    I cannot stress enough how disappointed I was in These Days. Musically. Concept wise. Hype. Lyrically.

Granted, both albums were disappointing and simultaneously better then a lot of other ? that's been dropped this year. However, These Days was meant to be so much more then what Soul gave us. Let the stans tell it, and it was supposed to be the second coming of rap Christ. But even moderate fans like myself expected it to be a superior album. It was not. Q had a more cohesive concept, better songs, and I'd even argue stronger content when comparing the two directly.
  • onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soul
    I cannot stress enough how disappointed I was in These Days. Musically. Concept wise. Hype. Lyrically.

Granted, both albums were disappointing and simultaneously better then a lot of other ? that's been dropped this year. However, These Days was meant to be so much more then what Soul gave us. Let the stans tell it, and it was supposed to be the second coming of rap Christ. But even moderate fans like myself expected it to be a superior album. It was not. Q had a more cohesive concept, better songs, and I'd even argue stronger content when comparing the two directly.

Cosign the bolded.
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Q
    Both were disappointing, Oxymoron was less disappointing and had some GREAT tracks.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Were both just decent

Cilvia Demo>>>>
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    Q
    Yea they were both major disappointments
  • R2_163
    R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Q
    oxy is growing on me but it's still a mediocre album.I think the reason oxy was bad is that the labels put their hands all over that project instead of letting q get free reign. These days was straight doo doo compared to control system
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Q
    Man Of The Year, Gangsta, Los Awesome, Hoover Street, Blind Threats and Break The Banks >>
    none of them are bad albums, they're just not better than their previous efforts.
    Rashaad got the best release of this year tho, i'd say its on par wtih Section 80, H&C and CS
  • OhMars
    OhMars Members Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Q
    I actually really enjoyed Oxymoron, it didn't live up to its monster hype but it is a solid album. Its one of those albums that get better the more you listen to it. I still jam it, but I skip Los Awesome every ? time.
    I was highly disappointed in These Days, only listened to it for the first 2 days and haven't even thought about playing it since
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Q
    Cosign Cilvia Demo being better than both
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Options
    Q
    I think soul was gunning for the majors with these days. He was fishing for a hit and it hurt his album. I don't blame him either.. Seeing Kendrick and Q ascend into superstardom put a lot of pressure on him. At the end of the day the underground is cool but all of these up and coming artists would love to be mainstream but at the same time not compromise their integrity and vision. It works for some and for others it doesn't. Kendrick and Q were able to accomplish both and they needed the hit records in order to do so. Look at all the greats.. Jay.. Nas.. Pac ect none of those guys were underground artist. They all had records that eventually broke through and got in rotation and music videos(back when that was important) played frequently. That's what I think Ab was trying to establish with this album before he drops his major release but unfortunately he came up short. Like I said it's not for everybody. Curren$y is a prime example of someone who Soul should aspire to model his career after. Spitta is the underground king as far as I'm concerned. He's made a living off of releasing quality music and touring. Dude has one of the strongest core fan bases because he's both consistent an talented.
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soul
    Soulo's album disappointed me the most.
    But was better than Qs (which also dissapointed due to the greatness that was H&C)

i think soulo's will get less votes due to the fact that people were more disappointed in Ab dash, than Qs. if that makes sense.

then again in comparison, Ab-soul released a mixtape, Q released an album, so the two cannot be compared.

like i said in the "these days" thread...if ab soul named his mixtape longterm mentality 3, it would not have recieved as much hate as it does
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soul
    These Days...

Better raps. Better subject matter. Better videos and the very last track on there (the long poetic battle freestyle) was dope AF..

At least I played TD more than Q's joint. Oxymoron was largely forgettable IMO
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    I remember how overhyped Oxymoron was, and how forgettable These Days were. Hard choice actually.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Q
    Knock knock knock knock!!!! Gangsta ?
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    Q.

I can't believe Soul made such a fuss with the label about releasing such weak ass material.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Q
    both albums aren't anything to write home about...and i don't even like q but his ? was better than ab....these days was wack
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Q
    Every absoul thread I always add that he's the best in TDE, ever since that album I couldn't even fix my fingers to type that ? . Thats how wack that it was. He ? us over with that ?
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Q
    Lol damn so no love for Q and Soul. Are ? skeptical for when Jay Rock drops his next album?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Refuse to vote.

Both albums aren't that good.

Disappointed in both guys, more disappointed in Soul because he the better rapper and he made a huge fuss about it.
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Q
    Ab-Soul's was a lot Worse than Q's .

I think his Sound is a Lot more Commercialized than his older Projects are .

LONGTERM 2 >>> All Ab-Soul's Other ? .
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Q
    ab-soul album sucked .... plain and simple ... ? was straight trash bag juice ... straight gutter water ... pure porta ? run off .... i couldn't delete that ? off my cpu enough ... thats an album that you illegally download and then ask for a refund due to waste of bandwidth