Chicago Teen Arrested For Trying To Join ISIS

1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in The Social Lounge
CHICAGO — Federal prosecutors on Monday charged a suburban Chicago man with trying to travel overseas to join the Islamic State group.

Members of the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force arrested Mohammed Hamzah Khan, a 19-year-old U.S. citizen from Bolingbrook, on Saturday evening at O’Hare International Airport, prosecutors said. Khan is charged with attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization, and a federal judge has ordered him held until a detention hearing Thursday.

According to prosecutors, Khan was trying to Istanbul, Turkey, by way of Vienna, Austria, when law enforcement saw him go through security at O’Hare’s international terminal. Agents then executed a search warrant at Khan’s residence and found documents expressing support for the Islamic State group.

According to the criminal complaint, one page in a notebook had a drawing of what appeared to be an armed fighter with an Islamic State group flag and the words “Come to Jihad” written in Arabic.

FBI agents questioned Khan at the airport. On Monday, the slight, bearded Khan appeared in a federal court in orange jail clothes as he spoke with his attorney before the hearing started in his case.

There are about 12 Americans believed to be fighting in Syria right now, FBI Director James Comey said Thursday. There are more than 100 Americans who have either tried to go to Syria and were arrested, or went and came back to the U.S., Comey said without offering more details.

Comments

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Welp... his life is over at 19

he gunna be jihading from prison
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have fun in GitMo ? .
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He got lucky. They could've easily had him killed, and/or locked away for live with no due process. With no mention of his name anywhere.
  • BoogaSuga
    Meroe wrote: »
    He got lucky. They could've easily had him killed, and/or locked away for live with no due process. With no mention of his name anywhere.

My money says he gonna be locked away for life anyway
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question is, how they figured this dude to be up to something? Was it because his name is Mohammed traveling to Turkey?
  • BoogaSuga
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    The question is, how they figured this dude to be up to something? Was it because his name is Mohammed traveling to Turkey?

They watchin everybody. Me & u included. There is no privacy.

But yea i bet if your name is Mohammed & u travel in the middle east they watch u even closer.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you live in America anytime you show that type of support you're bound to be noticed
  • Dr.Chemix
    you live in America anytime you show that type of support you're bound to be noticed

But they found none of that out beforehand. It was only when he went to travel at O'Hara that they found out later.

If dude had nothing? Racial profiling.

Had something? Job well done

Hot damn they on this ? .

• JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chicago ? tryna get them Choppas by Any Means I see .
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »

But they found none of that out beforehand. It was only when he went to travel at O'Hara that they found out later.

If dude had nothing? Racial profiling.

Had something? Job well done

Hot damn they on this ? .

I'm saying if he was noticed he might have been doing ? online and you know how that ? pops up on the government's radar, but more than likely you're right it was racial profiling although they're have been whites that joined ISIS
  • Dr.Chemix
    I hear you bruh. I just read that they profiled him at the airport then searched em.

So dont have a last name mohammed, beard and travel to Turkey or you're ? .

This whole terrorist era is just as crazy as the cold war.
  • BoogaSuga
    I dont understand sometimes why these threads get moved around. The topics in Grown & Sexy be so random i feel everything belongs there
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, seems like an epidemic of people who wanna join ISIS. Bullets and bombs from American planes is boosting recruitment for them, as pretty much everyone expected. Good job idiots in Washington DC
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eEMKwY1vF_8

With footage like this out there, it's easy to see that Americans joining the war in Syria and Iraq will backfire big time. Expect recruitment to sky rocket for them more as more and more Iraqi/Syrian civilians are killed by American helicopters and warplanes. You know, same thing that happened between 2003-2011.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, seems like an epidemic of people who wanna join ISIS. Bullets and bombs from American planes is boosting recruitment for them, as pretty much everyone expected. Good job idiots in Washington DC

with the way you hate america you might as well go join
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    zombie wrote: »

I do hate America's evil and terrorist creating foreign policy but ISIS wouldn't like me. I like liquor, weed, and a hedonistic lifestyle, so me and ISIS wouldn't get along lol

You should join America's army, and go create some more terrorists for us.

• zombie
    edited October 2014

I do hate America's evil and terrorist creating foreign policy but ISIS wouldn't like me. I like liquor, weed, and a hedonistic lifestyle, so me and ISIS wouldn't get along lol

continue with with that hedonistic lifestyle it will get you nowhere i'm too old for the army now
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014

continue with with that hedonistic lifestyle it will get you nowhere i'm too old for the army now

My lifestyle will get me nowhere?? LOL people would ? to live the life I lead, everyday is a fantastic voyage.....I'll settle down some day though.

Sorry you're too old to create more enemies in the Middle East, at least you're a good cheerleader for the atrocities and destruction America creates over there.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So he wasn't from Chicago, he was from ? Boondocks ass Bolingbrook.
  • zombie

My lifestyle will get me nowhere?? LOL people would ? to live the life I lead, everyday is a fantastic voyage.....I'll settle down some day though.

Sorry you're too old to create more enemies in the Middle East, at least you're a good cheerleader for the atrocities and destruction America creates over there.

So in other words you agree with me you just don't want to stop living reckless right now AMERICA would have crated alit less destruction over there if we did what was need from the very start if we had the understanding that once we go in we have to stay until the society changes which takes at least a generation , then the middle east would not be like it is right now.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    McCain called it a few years back.

Said we need to be in Iraq for at least another 100 years.

Not really a fan of his, but he was right about that.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1CK1S wrote: »
    CHICAGO — Federal prosecutors on Monday charged a suburban Chicago man with trying to travel overseas to join the Islamic State group.

Members of the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force arrested Mohammed Hamzah Khan, a 19-year-old U.S. citizen from Bolingbrook, on Saturday evening at O’Hare International Airport, prosecutors said. Khan is charged with attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization, and a federal judge has ordered him held until a detention hearing Thursday.

According to prosecutors, Khan was trying to Istanbul, Turkey, by way of Vienna, Austria, when law enforcement saw him go through security at O’Hare’s international terminal. Agents then executed a search warrant at Khan’s residence and found documents expressing support for the Islamic State group.

According to the criminal complaint, one page in a notebook had a drawing of what appeared to be an armed fighter with an Islamic State group flag and the words “Come to Jihad” written in Arabic.

FBI agents questioned Khan at the airport. On Monday, the slight, bearded Khan appeared in a federal court in orange jail clothes as he spoke with his attorney before the hearing started in his case.

There are about 12 Americans believed to be fighting in Syria right now, FBI Director James Comey said Thursday. There are more than 100 Americans who have either tried to go to Syria and were arrested, or went and came back to the U.S., Comey said without offering more details.

This is the second person from Chicago arrested for trying to join a "terrorist organization."

Ironically, Abdella Ahmad Tounisi was arrested for trying to join a rebel group fighting against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, while the U.S government decided to supply rebel groups fighting against Bashar al-Assad.
    cobbland wrote: »
    Illinois man tried to join Al Qaeda-linked group, FBI says

Published April 21, 2013

FoxNews.com

A suburban Chicago teenager has been arrested on terrorism-related charges and accused of seeking to join an Al Qaeda-affiliated group in war-torn Syria, the FBI announced Saturday.

Abdella Ahmad Tounisi was arrested Friday night as he attempted to board a flight from Chicago's O'Hare International Airport to Turkey, which borders Syria, the FBI said. He hoped to join Jabhat al-Nusrah, a group fighting Syrian President Bashar Assad's regime in a ? civil war.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/21/illinois-man-tried-to-join-al-qaeda-linked-group-fbi-says/
    Updated June 14, 2013, 5:29 a.m. ET

U.S. to Arm Syrian Rebels
    By ADAM ENTOUS and JULIAN E. BARNES

WASHINGTON—President Barack Obama authorized his administration to provide arms to rebels fighting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, officials said Thursday, a major policy shift after the White House said it had confirmed that Damascus used chemical weapons in the country's civil war.

The move is an about-face by Mr. Obama, who last year blocked a proposal backed by then-Central Intelligence Agency Director David Petraeus and then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to arm the rebels. At the time, Mr. Obama voiced concerns that arms could end up in the hands of Islamists battling Mr. Assad.

But administration officials who favored providing arms said the White House believes it has a clearer picture today of the opposition and confidence that sufficient safeguards can be put in place to prevent U.S. weapons from reaching Islamist fighters aligned with al Qaeda.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324188604578543820387158806.html
    U.S. considers no-fly zone after Syria crosses nerve gas 'red line'

Western powers have been reluctant in the past to arm the rebels, worried about the rising strength of Sunni Islamist insurgents who have pledged loyalty to al Qaeda.

The White House said Washington would now provide "direct military support" to the opposition. A U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed it would now include arms as opposed to "non-lethal" aid sent in the past.

Syrian rebels already receive light arms from Saudi Arabia and Qatar. They have asked for heavier weapons including anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles.

Qassem Saadedine, a Supreme Military Council commander, called Obama's decision to send weapons "very brave" and he hoped weapons would start arriving in the coming weeks.

Islamist rebel fighters in Syria were more skeptical. "We consider America an enemy and see it as quite unlikely that it will actually give the mujahideen weapons," Abu Bilal, a Sunni insurgent in Homs, told Reuters via Skype.

An Islamist field commander in Hama said he would take the weapons if he could get them: "Everyone here right now is working on the principle that their enemy's enemy is their friend. America is against Bashar right now, at least publicly."

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said increasing the flow of arms to either side "would not be helpful."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/14/us-syria-crisis-idUSBRE95C16L20130614