Walmart Ends Health Insurance For Thousands Of Workers

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in The Social Lounge
ybb4cmsgcjdzwh1ksfs3.jpg

Walmart, America's largest employer, announced that it will stop providing health insurance for around 30,000 part time workers, in order to cut costs.

In a corporate blog post with the Orwellian headline "Providing Quality Health Benefits for Our Associates," a WM executive wrote, "We will continue to provide affordable health care to all eligible associates, including part-time, who work more than 30 hours. However, similar to other retailers like Target, Home Depot, Walgreens and Trader Joe's, we will no longer be providing health benefits to part-time associates who work less than 30 hours. This will impact about 2% of our total U.S. workforce"

Imagine if you were a Walmart employee working 28 hours per week right now. Imagine what choices you face right now.

A couple of quick thoughts:

1. Employees tend to work fewer than 30 hours not because that is all they want to work, but because that is all the hours the company will give them, because companies do not want to allow workers to go full time.

2. Walmart has enough extra cash to raise employee salaries by 50% if it wanted to. Health insurance for 30,000 workers costs only a small percentage of this.

3. Four members of the Walton family, who inherited the Walmart fortune, are together worth more than $140 billion. If they were so inclined, these four people could pay the $500 million increase inWalmart's employee health insurance costs (covering 100,000 new workers) for the next 280 years.

Comments

• northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1. Employees tend to work fewer than 30 hours not because that is all they want to work, but because that is all the hours the company will give them, because companies do not want to allow workers to go full time.

2. Walmart has enough extra cash to raise employee salaries by 50% if it wanted to. Health insurance for 30,000 workers costs only a small percentage of this.

This is why having a strong union in place is vital for employees.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? is ridiculous. Walmart is making billions of dollars every year in profit, but they have to do ? like this to cut costs? Are the people at the top really that greedy?
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    From what the ladies have told me, Wal-Mart already stops their clock at like 39.9 or some ? . Some how that keeps them from giving their employee's the same benefits as a person that works 40 hours. 40 being the average work week in Louisiana.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Companies like This is why I vote democrat and tend to be for more government regulation of business, vs "letting them do what they want because it's for the good of the economy."
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    BoldChild wrote: »
    Companies like This is why I vote democrat and tend to be for more government regulation of business, vs "letting them do what they want because it's for the good of the economy."

That's what I'm saying. I don't see how Republicans can cling to this belief that if you let these companies do whatever they want, things will work out better for the people.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Foul for real, this is why boycotting and protest need to go down on a regular basis, so large corporations are reminded of who holds the power
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wal mart is tryna go all e commerce like amazon. Imagine not having to pay for stores, land, construction, store employees, etc and still be Americas largest retail company.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? is ridiculous. Walmart is making billions of dollars every year in profit, but they have to do ? like this to cut costs? Are the people at the top really that greedy?

Greedy and evil.
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wal-Mart, its the American way!!
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wal mart is destroying economies everywhere. They must be killed.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    However, similar to other retailers like Target, Home Depot, Walgreens and Trader Joe's, we will no longer be providing health benefits to part-time associates who work less than 30 hours. This will impact about 2% of our total U.S. workforce.

This is the norm. These people need to vote to help Affordable care act (Obamacare) take hold everywhere. The only reason I am voting Democrat this cycle is to have Georgia get Obamacare. Outside of that I like Gov. Deal.
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I was managing at Target, they have a policy that you can't have 3 no call no shows in a 12 month period or you'll be fired.

One of my best cashiers, older lady who always came in and did her job ended up having some heart problems. She always was on time never missed a day and if she needed to switch her schedule she would find somebody to swap a shift with her in a timely manner.

She kept taking days off and couldn't get enough people to swap her shifts as she started to spend more time in the hospital and she couldn't take a leave of absence cuz she not salary and she wouldn't get paid.

She ended up getting 2 no call no shows in a 3 month time period and I had to write her up and let her know that one more and she would be fired. She was in tears cuz she understood the rule but was sick and still showing up. I felt terrible having to write her up cuz I respected her a lot.

After that, HR scheduled her damn near every day for her to get that 3rd no call no show to get her fired and it happened eventually.

After that, I couldn't work in retail ever again cuz that ? was grimey
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    It sucks tryna not support ? up businesses like walmart cuz them ? are EVERYWHERE. There used to be 1 where I live and now there's 4. They're just buying all the space so people have no choice but to go to them.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    detcatinva wrote: »
    When I was managing at Target, they have a policy that you can't have 3 no call no shows in a 12 month period or you'll be fired.

One of my best cashiers, older lady who always came in and did her job ended up having some heart problems. She always was on time never missed a day and if she needed to switch her schedule she would find somebody to swap a shift with her in a timely manner.

She kept taking days off and couldn't get enough people to swap her shifts as she started to spend more time in the hospital and she couldn't take a leave of absence cuz she not salary and she wouldn't get paid.

She ended up getting 2 no call no shows in a 3 month time period and I had to write her up and let her know that one more and she would be fired. She was in tears cuz she understood the rule but was sick and still showing up. I felt terrible having to write her up cuz I respected her a lot.

After that, HR scheduled her damn near every day for her to get that 3rd no call no show to get her fired and it happened eventually.

That's ? up.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who still shops at that ? ?

That's why they'll NEVER bring FuckMart to NYC.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Retail is most definitely the worse.

When I used to work at saks fifth ave. we had a manager that worked there for about 11 years. Her sister just died from cancer, so My manager goes to the store manager and ask for a few days off to help with the funeral and everything. ? store manager said "why? People die everyday. get over it" smh. Thats the most foulest ? I ever heard someone tell someone else that just lost a loved one or in general really. ? must've just finished watching paid in full or some ? .

Ill never in my life work retail, especially wal-mart
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Are "no calls no shows" exactly what it sounds like? Because if she can come in but called and made it clear, would she have been fired?
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wal mart is tryna go all e commerce like amazon. Imagine not having to pay for stores, land, construction, store employees, etc and still be Americas largest retail company.

I doubt it.

Maybe it's different in other places, but where I'm at Walmart is basically a big grocery store.

Most people just go there to buy food.

It's just convenient if you need to get anything else while you're buying groceries.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? walmart that place is grimey af.
    I only go to walmart cause target is closed.

Target needs to be 24/7
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No call no show is when you just don't show up for work and don't call out right? Why she ain't just call out on days she wasn't coming?
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When I used to work at saks fifth ave. we had a manager that worked there for about 11 years. Her sister just died from cancer, so My manager goes to the store manager and ask for a few days off to help with the funeral and everything. ? store manager said "why? People die everyday. get over it" smh. Thats the most foulest ? I ever heard someone tell someone else that just lost a loved one or in general really. ? must've just finished watching paid in full or some ? .

I would have choked the ? out of that ? , that was disrespectful as ? .
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »

I would have choked the ? out of that ? , that was disrespectful as ? .

Yeah, some workers had to hold her back. This is one of the nicest ladies I've ever met. I've never seen her that ? . Most ? up ? ever