Officer Involved....

Options

Comments

• stackmaster 313
    stackmaster 313 Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    https://youtu.be/zN-BLzcF_AQ

An 19-year-old man has been shot to death by a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer at a home on Detroit's west side.

Police Chief James Craig said a fugitive task force was serving an armed robbery and weapons charges warrant Monday afternoon at a home in the 9500 block of Evergreen Road when the shooting happened.

Craig said the officer and other members of a fugitive task force were inside the home when, at some point, the officer felt threatened and shots were fire.

"I'm told there was no forced entry to the residence, that they were allowed inside. I'm also told that the agent may have been faced with a threat. It was at that point that he decided to use deadly force," Craig said.

Craig didn't say if the man who was killed had a weapon, but said he has spoken with the immediate family of the man who was shot and killed.

"Just pray for us all. The family is really devastated. I'm at a loss for words. Another young death," the man's cousin, Lee Snipes, said.

Several family members of the man and neighbors in the area were at the scene, visibly angry with police.

"It's tragic. Any time a parent loses their child, it's tragic. I just want to say this, I'm committed that the investigation is thorough, that it's timely, and that I have a conversation with the Wayne Country Prosecutor's Office. Kym Worthy. I'm committed to that. I'll be talking to the prosecutor's office this afternoon about this very case. We're going to interview all the witnesses. I can't say what happened," Craig said.

Statement from ICE:

During a multi-agency enforcement action today at a Detroit residence, an ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) officer fatally wounded a fugitive wanted on state armed robbery and weapons charges.

Any time an ICE officer or special agent discharges their firearm in the line of duty, the ICE Office of Professional Responsibility reviews the matter. Due to this ongoing review, no further details will be released at this time.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "We're going to interview all the witnesses," [Police Chief] Craig said.

Witnesses who are the other officers on the scene -- as if we can expect them to tell the truth.

Sadly, this young man's family will not get any justice.
  • Beech Oss Neega
    Beech Oss Neega Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unbelievable....
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nah see, this one is a little different.....

It's a learning experience for Black People.

ICE is one of the scariest, ? up Federal agencies out there. Negroes ain't Latinos, so that's slipped under our radar. They can do what they want to a degree that would make most cops envious.

"A 33-year-old Filipino woman who came to the United States as a child and was quickly granted full American citizenship is suing the US government after being detained in prison for almost seven months and threatened with deportation."

^^^^ THOUSANDS of cases like this every year bruh. They don't need a trial, a warrant, a hearing, NOTHING to do that to you. All you gotta be is vaguely "latino looking" and be in front of the wrong ICE agent at the wrong time and its a wrap for you.

I remember reading about one citizen that got locked up by ICE for like 3+ years like that...............mistaken identity...........they said this dude mama was coming to the prison and the ICE offices like everyday with his birth certificate, social security card, ID, proof of residence, W-2 forms, ETC ETC ETC and she just kept getting red tape and static from the people behind the desk. Scary as ? .

This is why people was crying on TV after Obama said ? congress and started issuing Executive Orders on immigration.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ICE ain't no hoes, like Swiffness just outlined. They buss heads often and because the victims aren't legal citizens it's goes unnoticed.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Detroit ? need turn up like them Bodymore ? ...
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why was ICE involved? (Read OP but didn't see video)
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Craig didn't say if the man who was killed had a weapon, but said he has spoken with the immediate family of the man who was shot and killed.

Oh so these guys learnin' not to say anything until evidence is released yeah? Guess they're tires of sayin' ? were up to sutten and then seein' footage of said ? doin' ? all
  • Ghost313
    Ghost313 Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    ICE ain't no hoes, like Swiffness just outlined. They buss heads often and because the victims aren't legal citizens it's goes unnoticed.

From what I read on Detnews, they told the father that they would show him a warrant After they searched the home for the victim. They entered the home, then were heard saying come out or we will shoot, a few seconds later, 10 shots were unloaded. Their story is that the ICE agent sensed a threat, but the DPD didn't.

In this instance, a body cam should have been worn by the ICE agent especially. The most sickening thing is the comments from the White people in the comments section. I know dude wasn't a saint, but he deserved his day in Court, not to be executed in his family's home.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why was ICE there?Is he from another country?
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The agency has an annual budget of approximately $6 billion, primarily devoted to two operational directorates — Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO). A third directorate, Management and Administration (M&A), is charged with providing professional management and mission support to advance the ICE mission.

Still crazy why ice was involved and if they found a gun or what dude said to receive ten shots
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is it just me or does it feel like we hear about 1-2 new police shooting/killing incidents every week?
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »
    Is it just me or does it feel like we hear about 1-2 new police shooting/killing incidents every week?

It's means that there's 5-6 that are being covered up or pushed to the side on some ? .
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.rawstory.com/2015/04/detroit-man-killed-by-federal-agent-was-armed-with-hammer-cops-say-but-family-disagrees/
    Detroit man killed by federal agent was armed with hammer, cops say — but family disagrees

A federal agent shot and killed a black Detroit man while serving a warrant.

The Detroit Fugitive Apprehension Team, which included an Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer, was attempting to serve the warrant Wednesday afternoon to armed robbery suspect Terrance Kellom.

Police said the ICE agent felt threatened and opened fire, killing the 19-year-old Kellom.

Detroit’s police chief, James Craig, said Kellom was armed with a hammer when he was killed – but Kellom’s father said he was unarmed.

Kellom was staying with his father when the DFAT team, which included U.S. Marshals and Detroit police officers, attempted to serve the warrant.

Kellom’s sister said their father initially told police his son was not there, but Teria Kellom said she asked to see the warrant – which officers agreed to show her after family members left the home.

Task force members then went inside to search for Kellom, who was wanted in the armed robbery of a pizza deliveryman, in addition to felony weapons and habitual offender charges.

“The last thing I heard was, ‘Come out or I’ll shoot,’” Teria Kellom said. “They shot him 10 times. They shot him — and then they put the handcuffs on him.”

The police chief said Kellom’s father was also wanted on a nonviolent felony fraud charge, but he was not arrested at the time.

“We decided not to arrest him because of the circumstances,” Craig said. “We can always pick him up later, (but) we decided to let him properly grieve for his son.”

The ICE agent’s name was not released, but police said he was also black.

A protest is planned for Tuesday afternoon near the scene of the shooting, which remains under investigation.
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    another day, another black person murdered by law enforcement..Where you at Ray?
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2015/04/28/man-shot-armed-hammer/26508863/
    Father of man killed in raid: 'My son did not deserve this'

The father of a Detroit man who was killed by a federal agent lashed out at law enforcement today, saying his son was unarmed when he was gunned down in his home in the middle of the day, right in front of him.

"My son died with clenched fists. He didn't have a hammer ... They assassinated my son in my face," Kevin Kellom said just moments ago during a rally on the city's west side.

Kellom disputed police claims that his 20-year-old son, Terrance, had a hammer in his hand when a federal agent approached him in his house.

According to police, a fugitive task force had gone to the house at about 1 p.m. Monday to execute an arrest warrant for Terrance Kellom, a habitual offender who had fled while on probation and was wanted as a suspect in the armed robbery of a pizza delivery man. Police said when the task force arrived at the house, Kellom was hiding in the attic. Authorities told the father that they had an arrest warrant for his son, and that the father let them inside, police said.

At some point, police said, Kellom emerged from the attic and came at a federal agent with a hammer. The agent responded by firing multiple shots -- neighbors have said as many as 10 -- and has been placed on administrative leave, authorities said.

But Kevin Kellom tells a different story.

He said his son was never in hiding, and that police told him they had a search warrant to enter the home. He said the search warrant didn't materialize until three hours after his son was shot and killed.

"I don't understand why my son was killed," Kellom said. "My son did not deserve this."

According to an official close to the investigation, Monday's fatal shooting started out as a domestic situation in which a woman called police earlier in the day to report a domestic dispute of some sort involving Kellom. The woman told police where they could find Kellom, who was wanted on a four-count warrant as a suspect in the armed robbery of a pizza driver, the source said.

That call led a fugitive task force to a home on the city's west side. During the raid, police said, Kellom advanced toward the agent with a hammer and the agent fired as he was backing up, the source said, noting five people were in the house at the time it happened.

The federal agent at the center of the controversy, however, has not been interviewed yet by Detroit police because he is off limits for at least 48 hours under federal policy, the source said.

The agent — a lifelong Detroiter and seven year veteran with the U.S. Immigration Customs and Enforcement — has been placed on administrative leave, ICE officials said today. The agency did not name the agent, stating only that he has "no history of adverse personnel actions" and that he was a decorated 12-year veteran of the DPD before working for the federal government.

"The agent felt that he was in imminent danger because the suspect was advancing on him in possession of this hammer," Detroit Police Chief James Craig said earlier today. "He responded to overcome the suspect's actions and used deadly force."

U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade said her office is monitoring the situation.

"Yesterday's shooting was a tragedy and we offer our deep condolences to the family," McQuade said in a statement. "Police work sometimes requires use of deadly force, but officers may use only as much force as is reasonable under the circumstances. In a situation like this, it is important to protect the rights of both the deceased and the officer. Therefore, we are closely monitoring the investigation."

According to the Michigan Department of Corrections, Kellom had fled in August from probation, which he was serving for a 2013 weapons offense.

The Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office today said an autopsy showed Kellom died of multiple gunshot wounds.

Meanwhile, this latest shooting has triggered yet more public animosity toward law enforcement in Detroit.

""In light of national incidents, we find this latest shooting appalling, distressing, and despicable that another young black man has to be killed in his house in front of his family with multiple gunshots," said Ron Scott, spokesperson of the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality.

The coalition will join various groups at 4 p.m. at the corner of Evergreen and Chicago, near where Kellom was shot and killed.

Craig said a community meeting is scheduled to be held at 4 p.m. Wednesday at Grace Community Church of Detroit, 20021 W. Chicago.

On Monday, Detroit Police Sgt. Cassandra Lewis said the task force had gone to a home to arrest the suspect. She said "there was no forced entry" and the ICE officer "was faced with a threat and made the decision to use lethal force to eliminate the threat."

Kellom's family, meanwhile, is struggling to comprehend what happened.

"This family has been hit with loss after loss," said Nikki Horton, Kellom's sister-in-law, who noted Kellom's grandmother, grandfather, uncle and a cousin all died in the past two years.

"There is no way that he would have threatened an officer, especially physically," Horton said. "He was smarter than that. He would never do that, especially in front of his family."

According to Horton, Kellom was "in the process of turning his life around." He had a baby and another one on the way, she said.

"We all got saved recently, and we were encouraging (Kellom) to do the same," she said of the family's religious ties.

Near the shooting scene this afternoon, about a dozen people stood near the street waving cardboard signs that read "Who do we call on the police" and "10x = Excessive force," the latter being in reference to the number of shots neighbors are claiming were fired.

Pastor Maurice Hardwick of Detroit, standing on Evergreen with the protesters, said the officials' account of the shooting is "pretty fishy," and he doesn't understand why a man with a hammer would be shot that many times. But he said he's pleased with Craig's response and looks forward to hearing more from him at Wednesday's community meeting.

"Give me the facts," Hardwick said. "We want the statements that were taken."
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2015/04/28/protesters-family-weigh-shooting-death/26539377/
    Protesters, family weigh in on shooting death

Detroit— As several dozen people protested peacefully Tuesday outside the house where Terrance Kellom was fatally shot by a federal officer, the victim's relatives were inside, offering mixed reactions about police — and a different version of what happened.

"It was my nephew who was shot, but I'm telling you all police are not bad," said Shannon Sailes, 48. "The police can't win; if they're here, people say they're the bad guy, and if they don't show up, people say they're the bad guy.

"I'm upset about what happened, but let's have an investigation and let the police do their jobs."

Kellom's father, however, had a different reaction.

"I can't stand the police," he said. "They assassinated my son, right in front of me. That was an execution, right in my face."

Kellom said his son didn't have a hammer, as police claimed. "My son clenched his fists and said, 'Daddy.' Then he fell to his knees, and they shot him 10 times. He didn't deserve that. There was no hammer. I let them into my house. We were cooperating. They didn't need to shoot my son."

Protesters sometimes shouted, but the gathering outside the home in the 9500 block of Evergreen was peaceful.

"We haven't had one bottle thrown," said Bobbie Davis of the Franklin Park Neighborhood Association. "We're standing behind DPD. We have some good police officers here. We're not going to burn down our city; we're going to build up our city. We're going to show we're not savages.

"But we're going to demand answers," Davis said. "Let things be handled by the Justice Department."
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? is disgusting. RT
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/04/29/ice-agent-involved-in-fatal-shooting-previously-faced-criminal-charges-as-detroit-cop/
    ICE Agent Involved In Fatal Shooting Previously Faced Criminal Charges As Detroit Cop

DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – A federal agent under investigation for fatally shooting a wanted Detroit man inside a home has been in trouble with the law before — he faced criminal charges seven years ago while working as a Detroit police officer.

A report by the Detroit News says Mitchell Quinn was charged with assault with a dangerous weapon and felony firearm in February 2008 after pointing a department-issued handgun at his wife’s head during an argument about emails. His now ex-wife, a fellow Detroit police officer, was uninjured in the incident.

The charges were dismissed, but Quinn left the Detroit Police Department and joined the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency a few months later, ultimately getting assigned to the Detroit Fugitive Apprehension Team.

Quinn, 39, was part of a task force that was sent to capture 20-year old Terrance Kellom on Monday afternoon. Authorities said Kellom, a habitual offender, had fled while on probation and was wanted as a suspect in the armed robbery of a pizza delivery man.

When agents arrived at a home on Detroit’s west side, in the 9500 block of Evergreen near W. Chicago, Kellom was reportedly hiding inside. When finally confronted by agents, investigators say Kellom was armed with a hammer — though his family members have disputed that. Quinn, “faced with a threat,” fired his weapon at Kellom several times “as [Quinn] was retreating,” according to police.

An autopsy determined that Kellom died of multiple gunshot wounds. His death has been classified a homicide, according to the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Quinn, a seven-year veteran of ICE who spent 12 years with Detroit police, is on administrative leave during the investigation into the shooting — which is agency policy.

U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade said her office will be closely monitoring the investigation by Detroit police.

“Police work sometimes requires use of deadly force, but officers may use only as much force as is reasonable under the circumstances,” McQuade said in a statement. “In a situation like this, it is important to protect the rights of both the deceased and the officer.”

Meantime, the Detroit Police Commissioner has requested that Police Chief James Craig appear before the commission to discuss his department’s role on the fugitive apprehension task force.

“We need to know what the DPD policy on employment of deadly force is and whether the DPD should participate on any task force that may not place a premium on human life,” Commissioner Willie Burton said in a statement. “Be clear. I support our police and I support the effort of law enforcement to make our streets safe for all but we must know what role DPD has with the Detroit Fugitive Apprehension Team. … We don’t need a Baltimore in Detroit.”

Chief Craig said he plans to hold a community meeting Wednesday at 4 p.m. at Grace Community Church, located at 20021 W. Chicago.

Kellom’s death comes amid a national debate over police conduct, particularly toward black men, since black 18-year-old Michael Brown was killed by a white policeman in Ferguson, Missouri last August. Violence erupted in Baltimore this week over a black man who died there in police custody. Kellom was black, as is the ICE agent who shot him.

“They executed my son in my face,” Kellom’s father, Kevin, said during a rally and protest march on Tuesday. “My son died with a clenched fist, no hammer. My son reached for me and got shot. I want justice, I’m going to get justice. I promised him that, and I’m promising his mother that. I’m not going to stop until I get justice for my son.”

ICE said Monday that Kellom was wanted on armed robbery and weapons charges. He was listed as a probation absconder on the state Corrections website. Kellom was sentenced to probation in December 2013 after pleading guilty to an October 2013 attempted carrying a concealed weapon case.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again... Why in the hell are these cops so he'll bent on shooting to ? ? You are trained to do this job!!! ? rather ? a dude just so he don't take a punch or a couple scratches maybe. This ? wouldn't get out of hand if these cops actually apprehended people like they're supposed to!!
  • Jumpa
    Jumpa Members Posts: 2
    Options
    Things i've noticed as a 48 year old native american man.

People who sit home and do nothing but watch TV , are the biggest racist of them all . Black,white,whatever, They live in a 2d world & have no idea of reality ,

Now take people who have been in war together they see no color in people, they don't give a rats ass about the color of the man or woman next to them when the ? gets real they only know we all bleed red and will do anything to protect their brother or sister in the same uniform

People can not see that it is the powers at the very top who want this race war & the dumbest of the dumb play right into their hands like playdough the only thing the "Elite" fear is a "UNITED STATES " so they have to keep us divided.

The sooner people realize this the better off we can all be !! There is no democrat or republican anymore behind closed doors they are all in bed together .

They need to keep us divided in order to maintain control of the helm. Wake up people they are playing us all
  • Seansauce
    Seansauce Members Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Cops have killed somewhere around 450 people this year if I remember correctly which is no different than any other year with the exception that we are watching like hawks this year. Now that it's such an issue any form of possible corruption have been reported on faster as well as brought to people's attention through media like such.