2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in From the Cheap Seats

Maximum you can make(no guarantees) vs guaranteed NBA max 23 votes

maximum you can make(no guarantees)
13%
2stepz_aheadTheBoyRoRiGGA 3 votes
Guaranteed NBA max contract
86%
S2Jlord nemesisjoeyfkncrakkJusDre313CoolJoetexasdaking88NothingButTheTruthYoung_Chitlinnumbaz...80's babyDarcSkiesT.Vick04CashmoneyDuxTrillfateParallelTHIRDSUPREMEsaracenwireonetoughmiracleO.G.Negro_CaesarD0wn 20 votes

Comments

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just look at the NFL and their player contract situation. Those guys sign a big contract just to be cut or asked to restructure a couple years later.

Imo players should be fighting to get rid of the salary cap instead. You got a player like Durant complaining about he isn't get what he is worth and he is prolly right. The problem is look at OKC now. They are paying 3 players big contracts but have no money to pay anyone else. They can't bring in that missing piece they need to get them over the ? bcuz of the salary cap. The nba should do like baseball and keep the luxury tax but get rid of the salary cap. Even with no salary cap baseball has parity. Look how many different champs they have had in recent years compared to the nba. With all the money the nba owners are making off of those tv deals now is the time to ? the cap.

Just my two cents.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baseball has parity?

Lmao
  • O.G.
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Baseball has parity?

Lmao

You saying it don't? Explain.
  • Shizlansky
    Teams with the big payrolls wins
  • O.G.

Not all the time. More than half the teams in mlb have won the title since 85. That is parity to me.

Just this year

Orioles 14th in payroll
    Royals 18th in payroll
    Giants 6th in payroll
    Cards 13th in payroll

• Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

1. LA Dodgers $235,295,219- Knocked out first round
    2. NY Yankees $203,812,506- Didn't make the postseason
    3. Philadelphia Phillies $180,052,723- Didn't make the postseason
    4. Boston Red Sox $162,817,411- Didn't make the postseason
    5. Detroit Tigers $162,228,527- Knocked out first round
    6. LA Angels $155,692,000- Knocked out first round
    7. San Francisco Giants $154,185,878- Currently in NLCS
    8. Texas Rangers $136,036,172- Didn't make postseason
    13. St. Louis Cardinals $111,020,360- Currently in NLCS
    15. Baltimore Orioles $107,406,623- Currently in ALCS
    19. Kansas City Royals $92,034,345- Currently in ALCS

• O.G.
    @Chi-Town Bully You didn't have to bring the Dodgers into this convo. X(
  • Shizlansky
    O.G. wrote: »

Not all the time. More than half the teams in mlb have won the title since 85. That is parity to me.

Just this year

Orioles 14th in payroll
    Royals 18th in payroll
    Giants 6th in payroll
    Cards 13th in payroll

Look at the last 20 years of the royals and orioles. And pull up them wins.

So 3 of the 4 teams is in the top half of payrolls and 1 is number 6

The last 10 years has been teams with top 10 payrolls that won (except for maybe one or two)

And the last 20 years besides The Marlins and diamondbacks had high payrolls.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just this year

Orioles 14th in payroll
    Royals 18th in payroll
    Giants 6th in payroll
    Cards 13th in payroll

The last 10 years has been teams with top 10 payrolls that won (except for maybe one or two)

2005 White sox 13th,2006 cards 11th,2008 phillies 12th (they played a team who was 29th in payroll in the world series),2011 cards 11th,2014 only the giants are in the top 10 of the 4 teams remaining the rest are 13th,15th and 19th.
  • Shizlansky

1. LA Dodgers $235,295,219- Knocked out first round
    2. NY Yankees $203,812,506- Didn't make the postseason
    3. Philadelphia Phillies $180,052,723- Didn't make the postseason
    4. Boston Red Sox $162,817,411- Didn't make the postseason
    5. Detroit Tigers $162,228,527- Knocked out first round
    6. LA Angels $155,692,000- Knocked out first round
    7. San Francisco Giants $154,185,878- Currently in NLCS
    8. Texas Rangers $136,036,172- Didn't make postseason
    13. St. Louis Cardinals $111,020,360- Currently in NLCS
    15. Baltimore Orioles $107,406,623- Currently in ALCS
    19. Kansas City Royals $92,034,345- Currently in ALCS

That's one year.

That's why they making a big deal about it.
  • Shizlansky

Just this year

Orioles 14th in payroll
    Royals 18th in payroll
    Giants 6th in payroll
    Cards 13th in payroll

2005 White sox 13th,2006 cards 11th,2008 phillies 12th (they played a team who was 29th in payroll in the world series),2011 cards 11th,2014 only the giants are in the top 10 of the 4 teams remaining the rest are 13th,15th and 19th.

2011 cards was 400,000 outside the top ten

2008 phillies was 2million outside the top ten

So let's not act like its a big difference.

All them teams had high payrolls compared to the bottom half

It's a big difference from 12 to 20 when it comes to spending.

And besides the top 3 teams all if them are in the same ball park of spending every year.
  • O.G.

Just this year

Orioles 14th in payroll
    Royals 18th in payroll
    Giants 6th in payroll
    Cards 13th in payroll

You said the teams with the big payrolls win. We showed you that's not always the case. If you are saying being in the top half in payroll is a high payroll and being in the lower half is a low payroll then you are right. That goes for all sports tho. No matter what the sport if you are not competitive with your payroll (top half) you are not gonna win much. That is on the owner. Still does not take away from the fact that more than half the teams in mlb have won the title since '85.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm taking the guranteed max money. Too much ? can happen from year to year in pro sports.
  • RiGGA
    RiGGA Members Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The elite will prefer no guarantee, the journeymen & disciples of Kneesus will want they ? guaranteed.

For me it depends how confident I am in my craft. Freak accidents do happen which Is why id want some sort of clause in my contract which states like i still get 10% of my earnings for work comp if I did get injured while playing.

If teams agree to such a clause, only the Bargnani's/Kwame Brown's of the world would prefer the guaranteed contract cuz they know they aint ? and will be getting overpaid.

So my vote is based on the aforementioned circumstances. If they threw my clause in the bushes then obviously the guaranteed way is the intelligent way of handling business.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    but this should hopefully make ? step they game up
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 word: injuries

This is no contest

Did you know...Gilbert Arenas has been one of the highest paid players in the keague the last few years wihout playing 1 game.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Former NBA player Gilbert Arenas is living a lavish lifestyle as he continues to get paid even though he hasn't played an NBA game since 2012.

He made $22.3 million this season, making him the 30th-highest-paid athlete in the world.

The Orlando Magic used the "amnesty" rule to cut Gilbert and remove him from their salary cap in 2011.

Under the rule, he still gets paid.

So even though he's out of work, he can afford to spend money like crazy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gilbert-arenas-salary-2014-4?op=1
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a false ass dichotomy ...why should you have to choose between guaranteed money and max contracts? ..because the owners want to?

The fact of the matter is if I as a superstar add X amount of value to a franchise I shouldn't be limited to what amount of that profit I can make ...at least in regards to how much of the team salary cap I can make I should say ....there should be no silly ass arbitrary number In regards to what percentage a player can make out of a teams salary cap ...all the max salary has done in the nba is get ? ass ? like Kris Humphries and Charlie Villinueva paid ...because on one hand you can only offer certain elite players so much but on the other if you can't land an elite player you have to meet the mandated salary floor ...this structure births a system whereby average dudes get wildly overpaid and the true superstars are relatively speaking and from a market value standpoint getting got

What I would like to see is a system where the max salary is removed all together so if lebron wants 50 mil a year and a team can offer it to him it should be available ...I would think about putting whatever the cap number is as a hard cap line that you would not be able be able to go over without paying a 2 for 1 tax ... This should spread the talent out a little more evenly across the leauge as two superstars will be less likely to want to play together and miss out on allllll of that money ...it would just be too much to pass...the only downside is that a team like OKC may be penalized for drafting well and cultivating superstars so maybe you put in an exception for homegrown talent

But back to the question if the owners want no guaranteed contracts it should go both ways if you have te power to void a contract at any time I should be able to do the same if I'm a player ..if I'm in the first year of a 4/10 dollar deal and I clearly outperform it I should be able to void my contract and become a free agent to get my proper worth... But see the owners ain't gone like that ? tho because its fair
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Last 10 years Red Sox, Cardinals, Dodgers I think, and maybe the Yankees one year? Alot of parity.
  • shieky
    shieky Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    Baseball has parity?

Lmao

This post made me do some research. Ironically enough, since 1980, there is more parity in baseball than the other 3 big American sports.

MLB - 17 different champions since 1980
    NFL - 16 different champions since 1980
    NHL - 16 different champions since 1980
    NBA - 9 different champions since 1980

I picked 1980 somewhat arbitrarily, but I figured 30+ years is a good enough sample size.
  • Shizlansky
    shieky wrote: »
    Baseball has parity?

Lmao

This post made me do some research. Ironically enough, since 1980, there is more parity in baseball than the other 3 big American sports.

I picked 1980 somewhat arbitrarily, but I figured 30+ years is a good enough sample size.

A lot of those different champs be good for bout a year or two.

But the same teams is always on top.
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    Noone in their right mind would give up the guaranteed money. I'm happy Kevin Durant reacted the way he did when the media told him about Mark Cuban suggesting this.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shieky wrote: »
    Baseball has parity?

Lmao

Is winning a championship one year and then being terrible or mediocre for the rest of the decade because you cant afford to keep your team together while the big money teams are in constant contention year after year really what y'all consider parity?
  • Shizlansky
    A team with a top 6 payroll won.