Texas Plans To Start Paying Their Athletes $10,000 Stipend

Options
MR.CJ
MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
Lost in the hubbub of media days and North Carolina investigations was a report on Tuesday night from the Dallas Morning News stating that Texas, if they lose the Ed O’Bannon ruling, plans on playing their athletes a $10,000 stipend to cover cost of attendance and the usage of their likeness:

The University of Texas will spend nearly $6 million a year to comply with a string of recent legal rulings requiring colleges to be more generous to their scholarship athletes.

Patterson said UT won’t have problems paying the extra $6 million to its players. That money will break down to about $10,000 for each player. The money will cover college expenses that aren’t covered by a traditional full scholarship and give each player $5,000 in compensation for the university’s use of his image.

First and foremost, this is a good thing that Texas is planning on doing. I’ll avoid the rant today, but if you’ve read my work over the last few years, you know that I am firmly in the corner of paying college athletes.

But the other part of this is that Texas isn’t necessarily alone in this plan. They may be able to better afford that stipend than any other school in the country — there is a benefit to having the richest athletic department — but any athletic director that isn’t trying to find a way to get this into the budget will fall behind if (when?) this ruling is finalized.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/22/report-texas-to-start-paying-their-athletes-a-10000-stipend/

Comments

• Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I heard about this but didn't realize we were the only school doing it. My question is are they only paying the football players?
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I heard about this but didn't realize we were the only school doing it. My question is are they only paying the football players?

No, they're paying ALL 600 of their student athletes.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    more schools will do it, but they will also cut down on the amount of scholarship athletes they have eventually.

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    10 stacks was a pay cut for some at SMU.
    *sips tea and Mustang walks outta thread*
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? is about to enable a whole lot of fuckery to proceed....just watch

18 -21 yr olds with little to no parental guidance and supervision given 10 stacks to do whatever the ? they want with it....

this wont end well

Thats my line!
    Hey theres only room enough for one dark and forboding ass ? on this board!!!

Ill fight you.

LMAO

im just speaking the truth

might not have to worry bout the golf teams and ? like that....

but these revontaye Jenkins ass ? that play football and basketball gon have they ? all on IG and Twitter and attempt to buy a brick of yay so they can be trap stars and "get money" like the migos.....

I hope Texas is prepared for this ?
  • Rubato Garcia
    Options
    None of this is official though. This story was written based on hypothetical question posed to the Texas AD. They asked him what the cost to the university would be if the NCAA loses the O'Bannon appeals.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Options
    This is actually part of Patterson's underhanded argument for why it's NOT a good idea
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They gettin in trouble while being broke its not goin to be that much a difference lol
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

18 -21 yr olds with little to no parental guidance and supervision given 10 stacks to do whatever the ? they want with it....

this wont end well

Stop it. Kids get scholarship/grant money like this every day and don't "lose their minds" any more than any one else. If this is about to be the argument to not pay these kids for generating millions, people need to smarten up.
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    Options
    KNiGHTS wrote: »

this wont end well

Stop it. Kids get scholarship/grant money like this every day and don't "lose their minds" any more than any one else. If this is about to be the argument to not pay these kids for generating millions, people need to smarten up.

Not even saying that they dont deserve it. Just saying that a football or basketball athlete at a major university is treated much differently than the "regular" students breh. Which already enables them to do ? ? . So....giving a person like that 10 stacks to play with wont end well. Not saying all of them or even the majority of them will "go crazy" but it will happen and a big deal will be made....
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    Options
    Most of that money these guys get will be sent home to help out ma dukes anyway....thats why most of them take that under the table money in the first place.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? baby basketball
  • bumperboy1
    bumperboy1 Members Posts: 8
    Options
    college football makes billions...the players should get a pie of that pie
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

this wont end well

Thats my line!
    Hey theres only room enough for one dark and forboding ass ? on this board!!!

Ill fight you.

LMAO

im just speaking the truth

might not have to worry bout the golf teams and ? like that....

but these revontaye Jenkins ass ? that play football and basketball gon have they ? all on IG and Twitter and attempt to buy a brick of yay so they can be trap stars and "get money" like the migos.....

I hope Texas is prepared for this ?

Somebody is hip to what is really going to happen. These stupid ? going to get that lil bit of money and do stupid ? ? with it and a lot people going to feel like Chappelle with the Rick James skit "THEY NEVER SHOULD HAVE GAVE YOU ? MONEY!!!"

The people giving out the money know this though and want it to happen just to make another example out of some dumb black kids link it to all black people and make it all about them when it really isn't.