Digi Crates Records & The Jun “Nujabes” Seba Scam

traestar
traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in The Essence
https://medium.com/indie-music-listeners/digi-crates-records-the-jun-nujabes-seba-scam-cd7b78d9a721

Here's some paragraphs from the article:
On Saturday afternoon I checked my twitter feed and was greeted to the image above, showing payment details for the albums “Metaphorical Music”, “Modal Soul”, “Spiritual State”, and “A Son of The Sun”. The first 3 being instrumental jazz hop albums that were released (in physical format) on the Hydeout Productions label by Nujabes. The 4th album was by Jun’s close friend/collaborator Uyama Hiroto also on Hydeout. What stuck out the most, was the merchant email payments being directed to label@digicrates.com. I instantly became curious as to why a label that has been known for releasing tributes to Jun were now on Bandcamp selling digital versions of his albums.

Several hearsay stories had been thrown around before his death regarding not wanting his albums released digitally due to quality differences in formats. Even with the increasing demand from several fans, the digital versions were not made available by Hydeout. So theres no doubt that anyone with rights to ownership over the music stands to make a fair bit of money from this demand. It was then quite a surprise to find out a user on reddit made a post stating that albums of his were also made available on outlets like Spotify and iTunes, only to disappear for some time.

Comments

• Young Stef
    Young Stef Members Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.amplesoul.com/
    Fat Jon wrote:
    11-2014

planet earth people,

it’s recently come to my attention that albums of mine are being sold without my consent. i’ve seen them on iTunes, sold by the labels “Libyus Music” and “Victor Entertainment”. since i know the owners of the real labels, i know these are complete fakes.

they’re selling the following albums:

Afterthought
    Humanoid Erotica
    Lightweight Heavy
    Repaint Tomorrow
    Hundred Eight Stars

for the Hundred Eight Stars record, they’re selling it as “Hundred Eight Stars (Tokyo Nujabes Tribute)”. it’s a special kind of fuckery to try to use my friend’s death to sell a stolen album.

they’re also selling the Samurai Champloo soundtracks “Impression” and “Departure”.

whoever these people are, they’re absolutely stealing from me and all the other artists that worked on these albums.

i’m asking you to refrain from purchasing any of these albums from these labels. i’ve contacted the necessary parties to get this taken care of.

this is the kind of thing that usually gets squashed behind the scenes but i wanted to speak with you directly to let you know how ? up people can really be.