Lets Talk Album Sales.........

Options
2»

Comments

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think that internet radio and smartphones are what is killing album sales because pirating has always been around in the last 15 years or so. People are more into the music streaming online and on laptops, tablets and smartphones and even the labels get payola per song played which is a new stream of revenue.

Back in the day having an album used to be cool. Getting the leak used to be cool. But honestly i don't even be checking for most these ? projects like i used to. And when i hear most of them im not impressed.

Lets use the Wu Tang 1 copy of an album theory for current and upcoming drops. If there was one copy of stalley's album how many people would be dissapointed they couldn't cop? Same with this two part ? carter 5. Even current wayne fans wouldn't cry if they couldn't have access to C5 if only 1 non shareable copy was dropped. i ? with jay and nas but if any of them dropped a new album and only one copy existed i wouldn't be that dissapointed because i doubt they could make anything close to their prime.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah, albums havent seemed to be the main source of revenue for artists these last few years anyway, plus albums might not be selling, but singles still are

but damn, i thought cb album was still on the way

Funny you mentioned Chris 'cos in the last year or so him and Pharrell Williams had the biggest RnB singles in the world between them ('Happy' and 'Loyal'). Both of them were monster hits

But look at their album sales. LOL
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it should pick up music is getting a lil better here lately
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »

I dont think it will ever pick back up its hard to convince people to buy something that is available free at their finger tips.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »

Mixtapes and Indy albums are getting better but as far as a quality front to back album on a mainstream label those are still getting worse. Especially the lasting appeal of the content.

• andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At this point, it's all about building a core following. These artists with popular songs but no real fanbase don't sell well when it comes to album sales. But then you got the artists like Logic, Gambino, Kendrick, Q, Cudi who have cult like followings who sell very well with zero-very little radio play
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    At this point, it's all about building a core following. These artists with popular songs but no real fanbase don't sell well when it comes to album sales. But then you got the artists like Logic, Gambino, Kendrick, Q, Cudi who have cult like followings who sell very well with zero-very little radio play

Not really Cudi's last project still around 95K and Gambino and Q ain't sell out the farm and ? either. The real test for album sales will come with Kendricks next album that will show to see if anyone can still get sales he might be able to. Now what i agree with is these artists are building fanbases for shows where they can tour well in midsized or small venues and sell them out due to loyal fans. But as far as sales even loyal fanbases are not selling as well.

• nillerthekid
    nillerthekid Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    Stew wrote: »
    Kendrick is killin these ? out here

And at the same time Im surprised he isnt at double platinum in almost 2 years of release.

111ouh1.png

(Got the chart from here its from 2011)

http://www.go-gulf.com/blog/online-piracy/

This chart says 7 out of 10 people find nothing wrong with piracy, so lets for the sake of the numbers game say these 7 out of 10 people pirate music and say if illegal downloaded didn't exist half of the pirates would purchase albums. So we will multiply modern album sales by 3.5 to get a figure of what modern artist would have likely sold in the Pre-Pirate Era.

Lets use Kendrick's GKMC (1,323,773 X 3.5 = 4,633,205 ) as a ruler and compare him to his contemporaries from Pre-Pirate eras.

Game sold 5 million copies of The Documentary

Snoop sold 4 million copies of ?

Dre Sold 6 million copies of 2001

Kendricks GKMC copies factoring in piracy 4.6 million copies.

Kendricks calculated sales are on par with the rappers from the Pre Pirate era from his region. I personally always thought GKMC would have sold 5 Million in the old era, before I even had the idea of factoring in pirating. What the reason heads think about this?

When do you consider the pre pirate era to start? In my opinion The Games first album dropped damn near in the middle of it. Some of the biggest selling albums in rap dropped around the same time. But even if you don't consider the early '00 as part of the pirate era, I don't agree with your math, I don't believe everybody who pirated an album would have otherwise bought it, so Kendrick wouldn't have sold 4.6 mill.

Honestly, I don't really believe in the argument Piracy killed record sales. Piracy been around since the late 90's, and record sales continued to improve in the following years. A lot of artist have stopped making "true" albums, which in my opinion, is a bigger cause to the lacking sales in recent years. Internet has made it possible for fans to listen to an album before buying, and will know weather or not the will enjoy it, therefor subpar albums wont sell in the same manner as they used to. This should mean artist were forced to step their game up, and make better music, but instead the industry uses the same old excuse to explain the lacking numbers.

Another reason for the smaller sales lately, and this might seem like a reach to some, could be the financial crisis. If memory serves me correct, it wasn't until 07/08 record sales started to take a hit, and this collides with the crisis.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Logic better ride that white ? out cause when they find out he's a mulatto those numbers are gonna go wayyy down
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    Nobody over-saturates themselves - the music industry is at a much faster pace than it used to be so that's pretty close to impossible. It's just that the industry has shifted from albums to singles. Why buy the album when you can just get the songs you like off of it for 99 cents a pop?
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    Stew wrote: »
    Kendrick is killin these ? out here

And at the same time Im surprised he isnt at double platinum in almost 2 years of release.

111ouh1.png

(Got the chart from here its from 2011)

http://www.go-gulf.com/blog/online-piracy/

This chart says 7 out of 10 people find nothing wrong with piracy, so lets for the sake of the numbers game say these 7 out of 10 people pirate music and say if illegal downloaded didn't exist half of the pirates would purchase albums. So we will multiply modern album sales by 3.5 to get a figure of what modern artist would have likely sold in the Pre-Pirate Era.

Lets use Kendrick's GKMC (1,323,773 X 3.5 = 4,633,205 ) as a ruler and compare him to his contemporaries from Pre-Pirate eras.

Game sold 5 million copies of The Documentary

Snoop sold 4 million copies of ?

Dre Sold 6 million copies of 2001

Kendricks GKMC copies factoring in piracy 4.6 million copies.

Kendricks calculated sales are on par with the rappers from the Pre Pirate era from his region. I personally always thought GKMC would have sold 5 Million in the old era, before I even had the idea of factoring in pirating. What the reason heads think about this?

When do you consider the pre pirate era to start? In my opinion The Games first album dropped damn near in the middle of it. Some of the biggest selling albums in rap dropped around the same time. But even if you don't consider the early '00 as part of the pirate era, I don't agree with your math, I don't believe everybody who pirated an album would have otherwise bought it, so Kendrick wouldn't have sold 4.6 mill.

Honestly, I don't really believe in the argument Piracy killed record sales. Piracy been around since the late 90's, and record sales continued to improve in the following years. A lot of artist have stopped making "true" albums, which in my opinion, is a bigger cause to the lacking sales in recent years. Internet has made it possible for fans to listen to an album before buying, and will know weather or not the will enjoy it, therefor subpar albums wont sell in the same manner as they used to. This should mean artist were forced to step their game up, and make better music, but instead the industry uses the same old excuse to explain the lacking numbers.

Another reason for the smaller sales lately, and this might seem like a reach to some, could be the financial crisis. If memory serves me correct, it wasn't until 07/08 record sales started to take a hit, and this collides with the crisis.

Its really hard to say when the era started. I wouldn't argue about Game being part of the Era but I dont think it was full blown around Documentary. Like it is now. Dog idk if you read it right I said half of the people would have bought albums I think thats a fair assumption.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Album selling in all genres aint the same anymore
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's why sales don't matter and these chumps will continue flooding the market. The 360 deal. These artists are nothing but salesman and the music is merely vehicle for product placement. The labels whether big or small will get their cut regardless.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DAM.. DIDNT KNOW THE GAME DROPPED AN ALBUM
  • B_A
    B_A Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    theres a oversaturation of music and a lack of quality. remember when songs used to get play for an entire summer, now some ? is lucky to last 3 weeks on the radio.
  • spayspay
    spayspay Members Posts: 428 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ? done changed.