First Look: Emilia Clarke, Matt Smith & Jason Clarke In 'Terminator: Genisys,' Plot Details Revealed

1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
emilia-jai-ew-1336.jpg

“It’s like going on tour again if you’re Pink Floyd—the audience always wants to hear some of the old songs,” Matt Smith tells EW about "Terminator: Genisys." “There are enough nods to the past that people will feel satisfied.” But thing is, with this sequel, some of those old songs are getting a fresh twist.

The magazine has the first look at next summer's blockbuster, and they reveal some of the key ingredients to the new movie, which also stars Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, and a returning Arnold Schwarzenegger, and it finds some of the timeline of the series getting a serious tweak. 'Genisys' is set in 2029, and once again, Reese gets sent back to 1984, but what happens next, well, we'll let EW explain:

Sarah Connor isn’t the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton’s steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991’s T2. Rather, the mother of humanity’s messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she’s been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger’s Terminator—an older T-800 she calls “Pops”—who is programmed to guard rather than to ? . As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who’s great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion.

Uh, whoa. That's kind of a gamechanger, and we wonder how fans of the franchise will react. Tell us your thoughts below. "Terminator: Genisys" hits theaters on July 1, 2015.

matt-jason-ew-1336.jpg

Comments

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I NEED A ? ' DRINK RIGHT NOW!!!!!
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stopped reading at "Raised by a terminator" WHUT????

kofi__woods__big_e_zpsfbkfnnqt.gif
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    It's stupid as ? bruh. She's raised by a T-800 but on that emo ? like how John Connor was potrayed in T3. ? is terrible bruh.

The formula was simple and fans been asking for it for a very long time. Just make a dope ass Terminator movie set in the future. Yea, Salvation didn't work for many but still we want to see that timeline. Armageddon. Chaos. Despair. Scenes done mostly at night for the dark feel. Terminators ? rushing camps. Meat Camps. It's all they had to do bruh, but nah, Hollywood with this reboot quick cash out ? . Smh. I'm not really feeling this new direction.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to say it again - if it's not by James Cameron then it doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL at Sarah Connor being raised by a Terminator. Taking a bit of a cue from the TV series with the whole 'live-in' terminator angle... I'll pass.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what terminator is this ? a sequel too? i'm confused af
    giphy.gif
  • King of GA
    King of GA Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Emilia Clarke? I'm in!
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think its a what if, like reese was sent back but the time line is different
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    14ui442_jpg.gif

LMAO Drogba spazzed the ? out
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to say it again - if it's not by James Cameron then it doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.

Even giving Cameron executive duties would have at least warmed fans over. .

They dropped the ball with the third film. Hollywood just don't do sequels well except for monetary motives
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    The Terminator is one of my top 10 movies of all time. Highly influential to me as a writer in terms of storytelling structure and mechanics. So it may seem biased but I actually enjoyed T3 for what it was. Especially it's ending; that took ? .

Terminator Salvation was the one that was straight up doo doo grits. So I wasn't shocked in the least when they dropped that timeline like a bad habit. The TV series was pretty underrated and much better than it had any right to be. So I will keep an open mind and check this out.

With that said a part of me can't wait for James Cameron to finally get the rights back in 5 years so that he could just retire the series for good.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll watch it but it looks pretty ? at the moment.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt Smith looks out of place.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this was gonna be about them going back in time and getting Arnold from ? germany to be the terminator or some ? ?
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dam they got the khalessi as sarah conor im in
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol that synopsis sounds lackluster af
  • Broddie
    edited November 2014
    Sion wrote: »
    I read that Cameron had the chance to redo a third movie after T2 dropped but sold it so he wouldn't be forever tied to it and have it overshadow his career. Anyways, I think we should give it a chance, the "bad" news is this may actually be really good and spawn 2 more movies. The good news is, if this flops and gets panned by critics then Cameron will step back in - that's a bet. There will likely be 3 movies in all and I'm willing to bet they'll take the Matrix approach with the last movie where we get to see the "dystopian future" in detail.

This is very inaccurate information.

Here's the actual deal

When James Cameron divorced Linda Hamilton (Sarah Connor actress) she asked for and got the rights to The Terminator franchise. She then sold them to the former heads of T2 production company Carolco Pictures (Andrew Vajna and Mario Kassar). Kassar and Vajna then started the company C2 to produce new Terminator media. This led to T3 and the first season of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

After the failure of C2 they had to sell the rights and The Halcyon Company stepped in and bought them. The Halcyon Company handled the second season of the TV series and Terminator Salvation. After the failure of The Halcyon Company they sold the rights to Annapurna Pictures. Annapurna Pictures is producing this movie and they're trying to extend it into a trilogy. They're doing this to rush it out before 2019.

In 2019 due to a change in North American copyright law the North American rights (US & Canada) to The Terminator revert back to James Cameron no matter what. This new trilogy could be a financial success and he'll still retain the rights in 2019.

Like I said once he does get the NA rights back I hope he lets this sleeping dog lie. Terminator was never meant to become a franchise and the fact that nothing since T2 has been worth it makes that belief even more evident. It's a pretty finite story.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sion wrote: »
    I read that Cameron had the chance to redo a third movie after T2 dropped but sold it so he wouldn't be forever tied to it and have it overshadow his career.

I'm going to go with this one over Broddie. Basically Cameron knew that ? was pure pimpled ashy ass cheeks.
  • Broddie
    It's not a matter of opinion. Those are the cold hard facts. That's how history played out for these franchise rights. Cameron did try to get a T3 rolling in the early 90s. But he couldn't ? the script and just settled on making the theme park attraction after True Lies. Before he moved on to try to get Spider-Man up and running before just moving on Titanic. It was during the Titanic era that he got divorced and had to give the rights up to his ex wife in his divorce settlement.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    4 Signs the New 'Terminator' Movie Is Doomed

Eleven years ago, the world had two good Terminator movies. Then the franchise stopped being self-aware. Millions died in nuclear fire sat through a film about an evil cyborg with a ? job. The survivors called it "unnecessary." In 2015, the studio machine will try again.

Yes, next July, we're getting the fifth Terminator film, the abysmally-titled Terminator Genisys. And according to early indicators, this movie sounds so monumentally terrible that it will bury this dead horse of a franchise so deep in the ground that it'll hit the molten mantle and give us a flaming thumbs-up.

#4. The Plot Ys Desygned To Pyss Off Fans Of The Orygynal Fylms

The timeline-altering success of the Star Trek reboot has apparently convinced Paramount -- the studio behind Transformers, and therefore sadness -- of a public mandate that everything must be needlessly rebooted using time travel.

This means we're getting a new Terminator trilogy that kicks off with a future John Connor sending the original Arnold Schwarzenegger Terminator farther back in time to raise Sarah Connor (she calls him "Pops") and fight a younger T-800, which in turn creates an alternate universe. Also, Arnold will look like a 67-year-old robot, because his organic exterior ages (and audiences apparently won't accept a Terminator film without him, even if we must build a marionette out of his bleached bones).

We're not making this ? up. The writers of Terminator Genisys went back, watched the first two films, and said, "Gee, you know what would make this great? If we completely erased the only two Terminator films anybody gave a ? about and gave the killer robot lots of moles."

Furthermore, there's also a new T-1000 played by the spry Lee Byung ? . To reiterate, these are all real things that will be happening in the new Terminator films. Also, it's going to be PG-13 and the promotional material looks like it's for a SyFy original movie:

Again, THIS IS AN ACTUAL MOVIE. We can't help but suspect they're purposefully mercy-killing this whole reboot, which would actually make sense, because ...

#3. The Fylm Ryghts Have Been a Desperate Mess

The first two Terminator flicks told a self-contained, fully resolved story. This explains why each subsequent attempt to restart the series has been an unapologetic cash grab greeted largely by ? noises.

You see, after Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, the rights to the franchise were picked up in 2007 by The Halcyon Company for $25 million to make Terminator Salvation. Even though Salvation turned a profit, the film's myriad legal problems forced Halcyon to file for bankruptcy in 2009, before the movie was even released on DVD.

In 2010, the rights were bought for almost $30 million by PacifiCor, the hedge fund that forced Halcyon into bankruptcy. They in turn sold the rights in 2011 to Annapurna Films. Annapurna dropped out of the production this year, leaving it to Skydance Pictures, who are now making Genisys for $175 million, as this movie has apparently grown sentient and is actively willing itself into existence.

Yes, the act of making Terminator films seems more like a symptom of obsessive compulsive disorder than a wise business. Remember, neither T3 nor Salvation killed at the box office. This franchise is pretty much rat poison, which kind of explains why ...

#2. The Dyrector Was Theyr 5th Choyce

After McG's Terminator Salvation and some guy's Terminator 3, who was tapped to direct Genisys? Alan Taylor, who most recently did the perfectly serviceable Thor: The Dark World. Mind you, this was after the producers angled for Ang Lee, Looper's Rian Johnson, Prisoners director Denis Villeneuve, and then settled on Justin Lin, who ended up dropping out of the film.

That's right, Taylor was the fifth choice after the guy who did Fast & Furious 6 fell through, and only after producers basically scrolled the creative gamut until settling with a dude who they knew was competent enough to follow studio orders. You see, most directors aren't particularly keen to paint over another guy's work, unless you happen to be Werner Herzog (and just not give a ? ) or the following dude ...

#1. James Cameron Ys Hauntyng Yt Wyth Hys Opynyons

One of the smartest things George Lucas ever did with the Star Wars franchise was A) realize it was time for a new generation to take the wheel and B) tuck and roll out of the damn vehicle. Yeah, he hand-picked J.J. Abrams for the job, and still offers Obi-Wan-like wisdom to the director, but at the end of the day, the new trilogy will not come down to the demands of a grey-bearded madman.

James Cameron has taken on a similar role, with one key difference: his voice is to the ear of the movie's producers and not the director himself ... meaning that, as he actually put it in a recent interview, his role is "standing behind the curtain and whispering some court advisory in the 13th century type thing," like he's ? Littlefinger on Game Of Thrones.

Look -- we're no truthers, but when one of the film's writers is also the producer of Avatar, and the plot is so amazingly stupid that it sounds designed to fail, it almost seems like there's some ulterior motive happening here. It's almost as if James Cameron is some sort of puppet master out to ? Terminator for everyone. But why would he do such a thing?

cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-signs-new-terminator-movie-doomed/