The White House Wants To Abolish Online Passwords

1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in For The Grown & Sexy
streaming-computer22.jpg
Cybersecurity rep. claims "passwords are a terrible form of security"

proposed password replacement schemes range from using a mobile device for identification to using a wearable ring or bracele

The White House says it is making progress in its effort to ? the online password.

Security alternatives to the password funded by the administration will start rolling out in six to 12 months, White House Cybersecurity Coordinator Michael Daniel said Tuesday at the Chamber of Commerce.

“We simply have to ? off the password,” he said. “It's a terrible form of security.”
The White House has been trying to push people away from passwords since early 2011, when it launched the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC). The initiative funded public-private pilot programs working on secure password replacements.

“There are plenty of technical solutions,” Daniel said. But what hasn’t been “cracked” are the “non-technical humps” to adoption, such as liability and networking issues, he said.

The projects on the cusp should address these hindrances, Daniel said.

“I'm excited to report very soon we will have many of these pilots starting to come to fruition.

Daniel did not give specifics on exactly which of the pilot programs — ranging from using a mobile device for identification to using a wearable ring or bracelet — will be rolled out. But they will be “widely available" once they are ready, he said

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/222057-white-house-official-we-simply-have-to-? -off-the-password

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The source of where you got this ? sucks.

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Don't believe it
  • lordhonka2
    lordhonka2 Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe we can all get implants in our right hand or forhead or something.......................
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    in 15-20 years there probably wont be passwords so this makes sense. In all the futuristic movies you see eye detection and thumbprints so....yea, makes sense.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds they want to prevent anonymity on the internet. In which case they can gladly ? off.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...or people could just understand that there are always people trying to defraud you online and act accordingly.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I understand the solution from a security standpoint....there are too many ways this can be misused and abused. I always tend to assume that the government and related agencies have ulterior motives when it concerns anything that would allow them to track, monitor or collect people's data. They haven't proven me wrong yet.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    nex gin wrote: »
    Although I understand the solution from a security standpoint....there are too many ways this can be misused and abused. I always tend to assume that the government and related agencies have ulterior motives when it concerns anything that would allow them to track, monitor or collect people's data. They haven't proven me wrong yet.

Give everyone a physical scannable item or even a "soft-token" based on a hash of your fingerprint, social security number, and birthdate. With a private key owned by the government that you get when your social security number is issued. One key opens the other. You feel secure. But gov can open all of your information anytime they want.
    PKI 101
    lordhonka2 wrote: »
    maybe we can all get implants in our right hand or forhead or something.......................
    Not needed as long as the prints of one of the fingers of your right hand are already on file.
    Maybe www is mmm.