Marvin Gaye Family Wins First Legal Battle Against Robin Thicke, Pharrell, & T.I.

Options

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Had the song not have gotten as big as it did, would it matter to anyone?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sooo...it's 2014 and people still getting sued for sample violations?
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Robin catching L after L, since leaving Real Husbands of Hollywood lol
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Had the song not have gotten as big as it did, would it matter to anyone?

Are you suggesting the motives for this lawsuit aren't as benevolent as it stated to be??

If it was just another track sitting on an album never released as a single?

And THIS is why the Gaye family suddenly feel that artists are "stealing" Marvin's ""groove"" should be held accountable?

"BLURRED LINES" charting history

XhbczZW.png?1

E2uyvIl.png

pM7tzA1.png
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's a percentage of the song that has to be changed in order for it to dodge copyright law. Paying for it and/or having the permission to use it can work as well.

The similarities are obvious to anybody that's up on they oldies. Pharrell should of known better.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rick James ? Hammer behind can't touch this....they split it 80/20 rick James way.....

dam never new that and outta that 20% for Hammer the label probably took at least half
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Rick James ? Hammer behind can't touch this....they split it 80/20 rick James way.....

dam never new that and outta that 20% for Hammer the label probably took at least half

Yea I got a file somewhere w the publishing breakdown of most major hits
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whether it's ruled copyright infringement or not, this isn't simply a case of an artist stealing the "vibe" of another

Comparing the two songs the notes, bars, phrasing, melodies, etc share strong similarities ...all are expressions which can be legally protected by law

I can't knock the Gaye family for trying to protect Gaye's musical legacy

• Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First Paula, now legal battle. This is bout to be a long drawn out affair
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Probably should've taken the settlement if it was mid 6 figures. Sounds like Pharrell musically protected them well enough.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    goldenja wrote: »
    Looking at this case and people reactions...
    the only real problem here is it was a white boy that sung this song

Had it been D'Angelo or a Usher......

You wouldn't hear cries to burn damn the whole damn house just to spite "blue eyed soul"

the least he could of done was give them sample credits inside the album cover.. did he?

They were offered cash

And Pharrell is not known for sampling,and when he does he gives proper credit

Bet you didnt know this was a Pharrell beat. Teddy Riley got credit though. Pharrell most definitely samples.

http://youtu.be/NOKd_et0A4o

you can hear Pharrell say SWV
  • FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »

Yea I got a file somewhere w the publishing breakdown of most major hits

Get that in PDF
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think that people are giving too much attention to that Robin THICKE 's song

song is good but FAR FAR FAR AWAY FROM A MARVIN GAYE SONG imo

by taking this ? to court they have put THICKE in the same level /realm as MARVIN GAYE which is imo a great mistake and an insult to MARVIN GAYE SUPER TALENT AND LEGACY.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its like Jordan constantely complaining about all the swagger jacking of KOBE.
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think that people are giving too much attention to that Robin THICKE 's song

song is good but FAR FAR FAR AWAY FROM A MARVIN GAYE SONG imo

by taking this ? to court they have put THICKE in the same level /realm as MARVIN GAYE which is imo a great mistake and an insult to MARVIN GAYE SUPER TALENT AND LEGACY.

5lytn.jpg
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I first heard blurred lines on the radio I was like oh sweet Marvin Gaye and then I was like wtf is this ? ?
  • a.mann
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »

You wouldn't hear cries to burn damn the whole damn house just to spite "blue eyed soul"

the least he could of done was give them sample credits inside the album cover.. did he?

They were offered cash

Bet you didnt know this was a Pharrell beat. Teddy Riley got credit though. Pharrell most definitely samples.

Bet you didn't know you failed at reading comprehension

They were offered cash

I NEVER said Pharrell does not sample,I clearly started when he does,he gives proper credit.

As a producer(s) Pharrell/The Neptunes are not known as "sample" producers,like a KanYe,Premo,Pete Rock etc.

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The songs sound the same, they were trying to sample without giving appropriate due.

Trying to split hairs using major and minor keys is like finding out your copyrighted recipe was stolen but the thief says it's different because they used seasoning salt instead of normal white table salt.

The irony of the song being called "Blurred Lines" isn't lost on me either. The line of what is considered a sample or interpolation versus what is an original piece based on another song is blurred in this case. Perhaps the keys are different, as the defense claims, that doesn't mean they didn't steal the song, only that they did an end round it legally. Basically they found a way to steal the song legally...

As a huge proponent of sampling I don't think the Thicke and Co. should be getting sued (as at as I am concerned it's a sample) but they also shouldn't be trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes either. This was an obvious ripoff Marvin's record, that's the only sticking point with me.

If you borrow give credit where it's due and move on. That won't happen because lawyers are greedy and will fight this case tooth an nail. One hope I do have is that rappers pay attention to the outcome because this is probably going to be the blueprint to gettin around copyright law so sampling can make a proper return.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They were offered cash

Bet you didn't know you failed at reading comprehension

They were offered cash

I NEVER said Pharrell does not sample,I clearly started when he does,he gives proper credit.

As a producer(s) Pharrell/The Neptunes are not known as "sample" producers,like a KanYe,Premo,Pete Rock etc.

Youre not very knowledgeable about music..... heres another sampled Neptune beat

http://youtu.be/orM5cV3gEZ0

Hell heres a whole list 4 ya
    http://www.whosampled.com/The-Neptunes/producer-samples/
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    The songs sound the same, they were trying to sample without giving appropriate due.

Trying to split hairs using major and minor keys is like finding out your copyrighted recipe was stolen but the thief says it's different because they used seasoning salt instead of normal white table salt.

The irony of the song being called "Blurred Lines" isn't lost on me either. The line of what is considered a sample or interpolation versus what is an original piece based on another song is blurred in this case. Perhaps the keys are different, as the defense claims, that doesn't mean they didn't steal the song, only that they did an end round it legally. Basically they found a way to steal the song legally...

As a huge proponent of sampling I don't think the Thicke and Co. should be getting sued (as at as I am concerned it's a sample) but they also shouldn't be trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes either. This was an obvious ripoff Marvin's record, that's the only sticking point with me.

If you borrow give credit where it's due and move on. That won't happen because lawyers are greedy and will fight this case tooth an nail. One hope I do have is that rappers pay attention to the outcome because this is probably going to be the blueprint to gettin around copyright law so sampling can make a proper return.

I think you're wrong

hl_dds_0000000000208640.png
    MN0118109.gif
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe it. Pay 'em.

Next.
  • a.mann
    Options
    Youre not very knowledgeable about music..... heres another sampled Neptune beat

Hell heres a whole list 4 ya
    http://www.whosampled.com/The-Neptunes/producer-samples/

Are you slow?