Federal civil rights charges unlikely against police officer in Ferguson shooting

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Stiff wrote: »
    Everybody agreed on at least one shot being fired while he was in the car window from the beginning. Witnesses have been saying that.
    i don't think EVERY witness said this (i believe some did not hear/see that shot) but it IS fair to say both sides of the story have mentioned it.

• Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Say What wrote: »
    janklow wrote: »
    OH COME ON MAN, you're really letting me down with these posts. Let me rephrase it this way, if 8 witnesses said someone stole a car and 6 witnesses say he did not, wouldn't it make sense to bring up charges if MORE people say he did something wrong?
    no. it would depend on a) what the witnesses said, b) who these witnesses are (because i think we known literally nothing about their vantage points, etc), and c) what the rest of the evidence said.

let's say your 8 witnesses are consistent, clear, and supported by forensic evidence? FILE CHARGES. but what's going on here is that you want charges filed because you think they should be and you're mad about that principle alone.
    And remember there is video footage of two WHITE construction workers who say Mike Brown was not a threat when he was shot and 8 different witnesses told police Brown was not a threat when he was being shot.
    ...does being white make them more reliable witnesses?
    And plus Darren Wilson didn't even bother to write a police report and according to Ferguson law that's illegal. This is a cover up, more witnesses then not say the cop shot Brown when he was away from Wilson, unarmed, and surrendering, and Darren Wilson never finished his police report. That's a sign he's hiding something
    so let's go back and look at what said in the post you're quoting:
    "it should depend on WHY there are no charges. if the Ferguson PD had just patted Wilson on the back and said "? it, who cares," THAT would be outrageous. perhaps that's what would have happened without the protests; i don't think i ever said they weren't justified."

so are we arguing that he should be charged because of the witnesses or are we arguing that the Ferguson PD is ? this situation up and THEY should be investigated? because these are not the same thing.
    A community with 8 witnesses is saying something is wrong, and for them to be completely ignored is sickening and disgusting beyond belief. I can't understand how 8 witnesses can just be thrown away like this, for any reason.
    dude... it's not a community with 8 witnesses saying something: it's a community with 8 witnesses saying one thing and 6 witnesses saying another. you can't understand how 8 witnesses can "just be thrown away like this" ... but you're completely throwing away those 6 because you don't like what they have to say.

8 witnesses saying one thing is powerful evidence on its own, and 6 witnesses saying something else is also good evidence but with Brown being unarmed AND the police officer not finishing the police report, AND video footage of witnesses calling the shooting unjustified, you damn right I expect charges to be brought up. The Ferguson PD is under investigation by the feds already, so my point is that a fair grand jury would bring up charges. 8 witnesses are being ignored because 8 of them are saying Wilson shot Brown in an unjustified manner because he was surrendering and was far away when he was killed UNARMED. A trial should be the main decider of this in a situation like this, so I will expect righteous anger by the community if charges aren't brought up. I can live with whatever verdict is rendered but no charges at all?? Not even excessive force? Hell ? no. You're dead wrong on this.

I'm sure you can live with no charges also. I'm assuming the video wasn't clear enough. Witnesses wash each other and the physical evidence is leaning to what the officer stated.

No it's not.

I've read that it appears the shots began in the car

Everybody agreed on at least one shot being fired while he was in the car window from the beginning. Witnesses have been saying that.

From there I could call it some level of rage but not a murder charge. Maybe a lower charge like involuntary manslaughter but it is likely to be thrown out. Mike had a part in this and the officer overreacted
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    OH COME ON MAN, you're really letting me down with these posts. Let me rephrase it this way, if 8 witnesses said someone stole a car and 6 witnesses say he did not, wouldn't it make sense to bring up charges if MORE people say he did something wrong?
    no. it would depend on a) what the witnesses said, b) who these witnesses are (because i think we known literally nothing about their vantage points, etc), and c) what the rest of the evidence said.

let's say your 8 witnesses are consistent, clear, and supported by forensic evidence? FILE CHARGES. but what's going on here is that you want charges filed because you think they should be and you're mad about that principle alone.
    And remember there is video footage of two WHITE construction workers who say Mike Brown was not a threat when he was shot and 8 different witnesses told police Brown was not a threat when he was being shot.
    ...does being white make them more reliable witnesses?
    And plus Darren Wilson didn't even bother to write a police report and according to Ferguson law that's illegal. This is a cover up, more witnesses then not say the cop shot Brown when he was away from Wilson, unarmed, and surrendering, and Darren Wilson never finished his police report. That's a sign he's hiding something
    so let's go back and look at what said in the post you're quoting:
    "it should depend on WHY there are no charges. if the Ferguson PD had just patted Wilson on the back and said "? it, who cares," THAT would be outrageous. perhaps that's what would have happened without the protests; i don't think i ever said they weren't justified."

so are we arguing that he should be charged because of the witnesses or are we arguing that the Ferguson PD is ? this situation up and THEY should be investigated? because these are not the same thing.
    A community with 8 witnesses is saying something is wrong, and for them to be completely ignored is sickening and disgusting beyond belief. I can't understand how 8 witnesses can just be thrown away like this, for any reason.
    dude... it's not a community with 8 witnesses saying something: it's a community with 8 witnesses saying one thing and 6 witnesses saying another. you can't understand how 8 witnesses can "just be thrown away like this" ... but you're completely throwing away those 6 because you don't like what they have to say.

8 witnesses saying one thing is powerful evidence on its own, and 6 witnesses saying something else is also good evidence but with Brown being unarmed AND the police officer not finishing the police report, AND video footage of witnesses calling the shooting unjustified, you damn right I expect charges to be brought up. The Ferguson PD is under investigation by the feds already, so my point is that a fair grand jury would bring up charges. 8 witnesses are being ignored because 8 of them are saying Wilson shot Brown in an unjustified manner because he was surrendering and was far away when he was killed UNARMED. A trial should be the main decider of this in a situation like this, so I will expect righteous anger by the community if charges aren't brought up. I can live with whatever verdict is rendered but no charges at all?? Not even excessive force? Hell ? no. You're dead wrong on this.

I'm sure you can live with no charges also. I'm assuming the video wasn't clear enough. Witnesses wash each other and the physical evidence is leaning to what the officer stated.

No it's not.

I've read that it appears the shots began in the car

From there I could call it some level of rage but not a murder charge. Maybe a lower charge like involuntary manslaughter but it is likely to be thrown out. Mike had a part in this and the officer overreacted

I could honestly live with an involuntary manslaughter charge, the officer overreacted and may or may not have meant to ? Brown since 2 of the shots were fired inside the car. But I would be disappointed if every charge against Wilson is thrown out, he should be held accountable in some way for killing an unarmed person 11 feet away, especially if 8 people say he was not a threat at the time and at least 4 of the witnesses say he was surrendering
  • janklow
    Maybe a lower charge like involuntary manslaughter but it is likely to be thrown out. Mike had a part in this and the officer overreacted
    seems plausible
    But I would be disappointed if every charge against Wilson is thrown out, he should be held accountable in some way for killing an unarmed person 11 feet away, especially if 8 people say he was not a threat at the time and at least 4 of the witnesses say he was surrendering
    i'm not convinced that "unarmed" and "surrendering" matter that much, especially the latter, because it's so subjective and we can't really confirm it. it strikes me as the opposite side of guys who claim "HE WAS CHARGING AT THE OFFICER"

but there's something to be said about it being questionable that he killed Brown if Brown was 11 feet away and not threatening him.
  • kingblaze84
    Maybe a lower charge like involuntary manslaughter but it is likely to be thrown out. Mike had a part in this and the officer overreacted
    seems plausible
    But I would be disappointed if every charge against Wilson is thrown out, he should be held accountable in some way for killing an unarmed person 11 feet away, especially if 8 people say he was not a threat at the time and at least 4 of the witnesses say he was surrendering
    i'm not convinced that "unarmed" and "surrendering" matter that much, especially the latter, because it's so subjective and we can't really confirm it. it strikes me as the opposite side of guys who claim "HE WAS CHARGING AT THE OFFICER"

but there's something to be said about it being questionable that he killed Brown if Brown was 11 feet away and not threatening him.

To be killed 11 feet away (some say 20 feet) is bad enough but to be unarmed and shot 4 more times as that's happening? It's a complete cover up he hasn't been charged yet with something, this is ? ridiculous.
  • Say What
    seems plausible

To be killed 11 feet away (some say 20 feet) is bad enough but to be unarmed and shot 4 more times as that's happening? It's a complete cover up he hasn't been charged yet with something, this is ? ridiculous.

He attacked a police officer. The police didn't know he didn't have a gun. Every officer I know carries a gun. I'm not going to assult anyone with a gun if I don't have one. I wouldn't expect anyone to strike me knowing I have one.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seems plausible

He attacked a police officer. The police didn't know he didn't have a gun. Every officer I know carries a gun. I'm not going to assult anyone with a gun if I don't have one. I wouldn't expect anyone to strike me knowing I have one.

you're assuming he did. . Are you trolling or are you white
  • kingblaze84
    seems plausible

Mike Brown was 11 feet away though, cops shooting unarmed people 11 feet away is hot now?
  • Say What
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    seems plausible

you're assuming he did. . Are you trolling or are you white

He got at least 2 shots off in the car. That wasn't from asking directions. Not white nor a troll I'm just looking at the facts
  • janklow
    "unarmed" always strikes me as weirdly subjective. maybe it's because i am a little guy, but if a much larger guy was punching me without a weapon, i'm not sure how bad i would feel about retaliating with one. depends on the circumstance, of course.
    4 more times honestly depends on how those shots were fired. i think the bigger/better debate is why ANY shots were fired; if he fired once, he might have kept firing reflexively. but if he shouldn't have fired the once...
  • kingblaze84
    edited November 2014
    "unarmed" always strikes me as weirdly subjective. maybe it's because i am a little guy, but if a much larger guy was punching me without a weapon, i'm not sure how bad i would feel about retaliating with one. depends on the circumstance, of course.
    4 more times honestly depends on how those shots were fired. i think the bigger/better debate is why ANY shots were fired; if he fired once, he might have kept firing reflexively. but if he shouldn't have fired the once...

I'm a bit of a little guy myself, although I'm built, so I naturally will like guns lol. But Brown was still 11 feet away when he was shot up like that, that's not right. If Brown threw the first punch, okay, but to shoot him repeatedly as he was unarmed and so far away is not acceptable to me. There needs to be charges for excessive force at least.

Cops have gun training and should know better then shooting someone 4 times unarmed and 11 feet away. That's excessive to say the least!
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did yall see this cat's mom at the damn GENEVA CONVENTION wearing that pink ? on her head!?!?!?!? ? is in Europe trying to do fashion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ? this ? man, I'm done.
  • kingblaze84
    NCswag wrote: »
    Did yall see this cat's mom at the damn GENEVA CONVENTION wearing that pink ? on her head!?!?!?!? ? is in Europe trying to do fashion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ? this ? man, I'm done.

LOL she's been rocking colorful ? for awhile though. She still dyes her hair blond
  • janklow
    I'm a bit of a little guy myself, although I'm built, so I naturally will like guns lol. But Brown was still 11 feet away when he was shot up like that, that's not right. If Brown threw the first punch, okay, but to shoot him repeatedly as he was unarmed and so far away is not acceptable to me. There needs to be charges for excessive force at least.
    this is why i would differentiate between Wilson shooting Brown in the immediate aftermath of a fight and Wilson shooting Brown afterwards when Brown was standing at a distance, not attacking him, etc. i think the issue may be determining what Brown was actually doing at that time.

however, IF Wilson shot Brown while Brown was not attacking him, surrendering, whatever, yeah, i don't disagree that's a bad shoot and Wilson should be taken to task for it.
    Cops have gun training and should know better then shooting someone 4 times unarmed and 11 feet away. That's excessive to say the least!
    just going to leave this link here for you:
    2012 Empire State Building shooting
    When confronted by the two officers, Johnson raised his weapon, but did not fire. The officers fired a total of 16 rounds, killing Johnson and injuring nine bystanders, none of whom suffered life-threatening wounds. Three of the bystanders were directly hit by police gunfire, while the rest of the injuries were caused by fragments of ricocheting bullets, or by debris from other objects hit by police.
  • kingblaze84
    edited November 2014
    this is why i would differentiate between Wilson shooting Brown in the immediate aftermath of a fight and Wilson shooting Brown afterwards when Brown was standing at a distance, not attacking him, etc. i think the issue may be determining what Brown was actually doing at that time.

however, IF Wilson shot Brown while Brown was not attacking him, surrendering, whatever, yeah, i don't disagree that's a bad shoot and Wilson should be taken to task for it.
    just going to leave this link here for you:
    2012 Empire State Building shooting
    When confronted by the two officers, Johnson raised his weapon, but did not fire. The officers fired a total of 16 rounds, killing Johnson and injuring nine bystanders, none of whom suffered life-threatening wounds. Three of the bystanders were directly hit by police gunfire, while the rest of the injuries were caused by fragments of ricocheting bullets, or by debris from other objects hit by police.

I'm in NY and I remember well how those cops acted like it was the wild wild west in 2012. It happened again last month too, the guy who attacked a cop with a hatchet was killed but bullets from the cops paralyzed a woman from the CHEST down, a block away. Horrible situation

We agree that if Wilson shot Brown 11 feet away unarmed and in a position where he wasn't a threat, he should be taken to task. This is the main thing that the protestors are saying, as 8 witnesses say this is exactly what happened. To convict is a whole other story, but charges are deserved for SOMETHING, COME ON Ferguson. This is taking WAAY too long, this crime happened in August and here we are approaching winter time.
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in NY and I remember well how those cops acted like it was the wild wild west in 2012. It happened again last month too, the guy who attacked a cop with a hatchet was killed but bullets from the cops paralyzed a woman from the CHEST down, a block away. Horrible situation

We agree that if Wilson shot Brown 11 feet away unarmed and in a position where he wasn't a threat, he should be taken to task. This is the main thing that the protestors are saying, as 8 witnesses say this is exactly what happened. To convict is a whole other story, but charges are deserved for SOMETHING, COME ON Ferguson. This is taking WAAY too long, this crime happened in August and here we are approaching winter time.
    I feel you. This whole process feels like one big cover up. There is no way a reasonable jury can't indite that ? azz cop. Instead of arguing over shots fired in the car,
    how about the amount of shots fired? I read somewhere they said Brown may have turned around in "aggressive manner" toward the cop after being shot. Does common sense tell you that makes sense? So a 17yr old kid gets shot running away from the police, apparently turns around and starts to running towards the ? bullets? Gtfoh. This jury is
    full of hot ? if they say its not enough evidence. The ppl in Furgeson have every right tear that city apart.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This ? iz emotionally draining. I wish Malcolm was still here so we could form black militants to rebel against the police

that's the main problem tho

we shouldn't need Malcolm after already knowing better

this generation might be too far gone at this point

the white man's tactics may have successfully taken us out of the game to where we will never be able to recover
  • janklow
    "police training"
    We agree that if Wilson shot Brown 11 feet away unarmed and in a position where he wasn't a threat, he should be taken to task. This is the main thing that the protestors are saying, as 8 witnesses say this is exactly what happened.
    ...and 6 witnesses say otherwise. repeating 8 over and over doesn't change that or make the testimony more valid. hell, it's entirely possible the shooting was completely egregious AND the witnesses are full of ? at the same time.
  • blackamerica

the white man's tactics may have successfully taken us out of the game to where we will never be able to recover
    I actually agree. Whatever the long term plan was to keep us distracted has worked to perfection. They even got paid black celebrities working for them that's sole purpose is to keep us blinded. But with ppl like Malcolm, Pac, they couldn't control them. They weren't afraid to challenge the system. Who right now do we have to speak for our justice? Al Sharpton? Barack Obama? Man dem ? is useless when it come to racial issues. We need another Malcolm
  • kingblaze84
    "police training"
    We agree that if Wilson shot Brown 11 feet away unarmed and in a position where he wasn't a threat, he should be taken to task. This is the main thing that the protestors are saying, as 8 witnesses say this is exactly what happened.
    ...and 6 witnesses say otherwise. repeating 8 over and over doesn't change that or make the testimony more valid. hell, it's entirely possible the shooting was completely egregious AND the witnesses are full of ? at the same time.

I remember an old saying, a ham sandwich can be indicted in a court in America. But a cop killing an unarmed kid 11 feet away with 8 witnesses saying he wasn't a threat possibly won't. I guess that old saying needs to go away now.
  • kingblaze84
    edited November 2014

I actually agree. Whatever the long term plan was to keep us distracted has worked to perfection. They even got paid black celebrities working for them that's sole purpose is to keep us blinded. But with ppl like Malcolm, Pac, they couldn't control them. They weren't afraid to challenge the system. Who right now do we have to speak for our justice? Al Sharpton? Barack Obama? Man dem ? is useless when it come to racial issues. We need another Malcolm

I feel you but I give Al Sharpton some credit for being on top of civil rights issues like this one. He isn't perfect and he says things that annoy me sometimes but when a situation like this goes down, I think Al is there more then a lot of other people. He has a voice the media listens to for whatever reason, and that's always helpful. But I agree we don't have no one on the level of Malcolm, 2pac, or MLK right now, obviously.

Like Blakfyah said though, we should have learned from them but too many of us didn't. He preached self discipline and too many of us don't practice that. Too many of us just live for today without realizing or caring what the future will be like. I like the protests, it's a good start but in my opinion, too many Blacks just went along with the status quo and didn't want to challenge things because Obama is president. If Black people held Obama and local governments to task the same way so many Blacks want to blame Republicans for things, we would be in a lot better shape. The groups that stood up to Obama the most got much of what they wanted, ? got what they wanted, the Jews OBVIOUSLY got what they wanted in Israel, and meanwhile Blacks got almost nothing from Obama. We gotta hold Obama's feet to the fire and fight for things PUBLICLY the same way other groups have. We gotta be more careful who we vote for in local govts too, Ferguson is learning that big time now.
  • Say What

Putting Pac in the same sentence as Malcolm is egregious. Pac wasn't a real leader. He spoke his mind a lot but he didn't provide any plans to get to the next position. There are lots of Malcolmesk leaders but their goals may not be as radical as his and they don't get the coverage
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because there won't be an indictment, doesn't absolve the officer of guilt. Considering that the government has a 90% conviction rate, they must have not really had the evidence to win at trial.
  • blackamerica
    Just because there won't be an indictment, doesn't absolve the officer of guilt. Considering that the government has a 90% conviction rate, they must have not really had the evidence to win at trial.
    Huh? What's the conviction rate of officers killing unarmed black men? Tha ? outta here with this random foolishness
  • janklow
    I remember an old saying, a ham sandwich can be indicted in a court in America. But a cop killing an unarmed kid 11 feet away with 8 witnesses saying he wasn't a threat possibly won't. I guess that old saying needs to go away now.
    true, but that's also a distinction between indicting someone and taking a case to court. federal prosecutors, at least, will avoid the former if the latter's a poor idea in their view.
    ...and honestly, this is part of the issue as well.