Options
13»

Comments

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BoogaSuga wrote: »
    Noah to reporters after the game...

“Every time something happens to him, people act like it’s the end of the world. And that’s f—ing so lame to me. Relax. Like, OK, he’s coming back from two crazy surgeries. Obviously we’re being conservative with him, and when things aren’t going right, he’s got to listen to his body more than anybody. So everybody needs to chill the f— out. I mean, I’m sorry for cursing, but I’m really passionate. I don’t like to see him down. And he doesn’t say that he’s down, but I don’t like it when, like, people portray him and judge him. ‘Cause it’s not fair to him. It’s not.”

Spoken like the true leader of the team
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    That's exactly how I feel too. And plus we playing good ball too . We do not need him right now
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    BoogaSuga wrote: »
    Noah to reporters after the game...

“Every time something happens to him, people act like it’s the end of the world. And that’s f—ing so lame to me. Relax. Like, OK, he’s coming back from two crazy surgeries. Obviously we’re being conservative with him, and when things aren’t going right, he’s got to listen to his body more than anybody. So everybody needs to chill the f— out. I mean, I’m sorry for cursing, but I’m really passionate. I don’t like to see him down. And he doesn’t say that he’s down, but I don’t like it when, like, people portray him and judge him. ‘Cause it’s not fair to him. It’s not.”

Spoken like the true leader of the team

People are more outraged at what his priorities are. Even Barkley was critical of him. Yes he's been unlucky injury wise but he's more worried about future business meetings than his current career. He needs a pr firm or publicist cause clearly his brothers comments and his aren't helping his cause.
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wasnt outraged. He said he dont wanna be crippled when he retires.

Watch him play you see he gives it his all on the court.

These guys get reporters in their face after each game and at practices. These same questions get old.

Media took his answer and turned it into something when it was nothing.

Any bulls fan can tell you he aint the best at interviews or media to begin with too
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah, i'm with Stephen A, why was he talkin like he's a football player or boxer that's really at risk of being crippled, ? ?

Bill Walton had the WOAT ankles (they eventually fused them to his week just so he could walk) and he goes to his kids graduations just fine

Rose was talkin like he a war veteran on some Hurt Locker ? lol
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rose ripped for speaking his mind
    Updated: November 14, 2014, 4:24 PM ET
    By Scoop Jackson | ESPN.com

For Derrick Rose, it seems as if being honest isn't a virtue that he should honor. Next time he should just lie.

If I'm Derrick Rose right now, I'm looking at how Steve Nash's career is ending and what he has to go through to try to walk and have a normal post-NBA life. I'd look at how the game has taken a toll on another former MVP's body.

Nash posted this on Facebook: "I have a ton of miles on my back. Three bulging disks (a tear in one), stenosis of the nerve route and spondylolisthesis. I suffer from sciatica and after games I often can't sit in the car on the drive home, which has made for some interesting rides. Most nights I'm bothered by severe cramping in both calves while I sleep, a result of the same damn nerve routes, and the list goes on somewhat comically. That's what you deserve for playing over 1,300 NBA games. By no means do I tell you this for sympathy -- especially since I see these ailments as badges of honor -- but maybe I can bring some clarity."

He's 40; Rose is 27. It's funny how no one looking at Nash seems to think that other ballplayers won't see this and start to think about their own careers and mortality, especially someone like Rose who's been dealing with 11 different injuries in the past 30 months.

There are more: Kerry Wood. Mark Prior. Stephen Strasburg. Michael Redd. Greg Oden. Tracy McGrady. Gale Sayers. Ken Griffey Jr. (And I won't even bring someone like Grant Hill into the conversation.)

None of them had to endure over the course of their careers what Rose has had to in just the first six seasons of his. None reached his highs as soon, none fell his fall as fast. None was called stupid by the media, none incited this level of controversy.

And therein lies (pun strongly intended) the true problem with the media when we publicly belittle a guy for giving an honest answer but at the same time claim our biggest issue with athletes, coaches and team execs (we expect it from politicians, preachers and policemen) is when they don't give us honest answers.

Rose's apocalyptic "it's not about this year" comments that caused one Chicago columnist to say that "it's not just that [Rose's] statement is idiotic, it's that he apparently believes it. It's galling and stupid, and Rose doesn't seem smart enough to understand why."

But no. We want our athletes to think what we think and feel how we feel -- about them.

Derrick Rose was just being honest in how he's thinking and what's going through his mind trying to get back to 100 percent. When did honesty and big-picture thinking become an issue in anyone's career, especially after going through what Rose has gone through the past three years? So we can't be mad if after this he decides to never give an honest, forthright response to any question or any interview again. Why should he?

At some point the "punishment should equal the crime" rule has be called into play. The backlash toward Rose on this has been both berating and a bastardization of his character. Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith basically questioned his manhood, with Bayless saying "it's becoming clear that Derrick Rose is very, very gifted at something he really doesn't want to do: And that's play basketball at the highest level, the NBA level" on "First Take." Other local columnists such as Dan Bernstein questioned Rose's -- and a family member's -- educational pedigree and expressed concern that Rose is "missing the importance of the present." Charles Barkley called Rose's comments "flat-out stupid." Random people on the streets just going full-in on Rose.

All because we can't handle the truth when it's not what we want to hear.

When asked did he understand why he caught so much hell for his comments, Rose responded: "No. No. But I could care less." Followed by: "As far as everything that comes along with my story, missing two years, of course [controversy] is going to happen. I'm not worried about it as long as I'm being myself." And with trying to "be himself" comes honesty. The one thing we keep saying that we want from others. But obviously the one thing we can't take if it's not packaged like it came from Alexander McQueen.

Honesty is not always pretty; honestly is not always perfect. But honesty should, to some degree, when we request it, be respected.

Here's proof to how our hypocrisy reigns supreme and how we only want our truths digestible for infants who haven't grown teeth: A year and a half ago when Derrick Rose said he was still the best player in the NBA, the media and public had a very similar if not the exact same national response. We lost our collective minds, called him names, called him out of his mind, the same pattern that is being repeated now.

People had a hard time accepting his truth. But again, like now, the brotha was just being honest. And again, we couldn't deal with or respect it. It didn't fit "our" niche thinking of what someone is supposed to say. About themselves.

Which leaves open the question of who's the stupid, disappointing, selfish, uneducated and coddled one here: Derrick Rose or us?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11875155/criticize-derrick-rose-honesty
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »

For Derrick Rose, it seems as if being honest isn't a virtue that he should honor. Next time he should just lie.

If I'm Derrick Rose right now, I'm looking at how Steve Nash's career is ending and what he has to go through to try to walk and have a normal post-NBA life. I'd look at how the game has taken a toll on another former MVP's body.

Nash posted this on Facebook: "I have a ton of miles on my back. Three bulging disks (a tear in one), stenosis of the nerve route and spondylolisthesis. I suffer from sciatica and after games I often can't sit in the car on the drive home, which has made for some interesting rides. Most nights I'm bothered by severe cramping in both calves while I sleep, a result of the same damn nerve routes, and the list goes on somewhat comically. That's what you deserve for playing over 1,300 NBA games. By no means do I tell you this for sympathy -- especially since I see these ailments as badges of honor -- but maybe I can bring some clarity."

He's 40; Rose is 27. It's funny how no one looking at Nash seems to think that other ballplayers won't see this and start to think about their own careers and mortality, especially someone like Rose who's been dealing with 11 different injuries in the past 30 months.

There are more: Kerry Wood. Mark Prior. Stephen Strasburg. Michael Redd. Greg Oden. Tracy McGrady. Gale Sayers. Ken Griffey Jr. (And I won't even bring someone like Grant Hill into the conversation.)

None of them had to endure over the course of their careers what Rose has had to in just the first six seasons of his. None reached his highs as soon, none fell his fall as fast. None was called stupid by the media, none incited this level of controversy.

And therein lies (pun strongly intended) the true problem with the media when we publicly belittle a guy for giving an honest answer but at the same time claim our biggest issue with athletes, coaches and team execs (we expect it from politicians, preachers and policemen) is when they don't give us honest answers.

Rose's apocalyptic "it's not about this year" comments that caused one Chicago columnist to say that "it's not just that [Rose's] statement is idiotic, it's that he apparently believes it. It's galling and stupid, and Rose doesn't seem smart enough to understand why."

But no. We want our athletes to think what we think and feel how we feel -- about them.

Derrick Rose was just being honest in how he's thinking and what's going through his mind trying to get back to 100 percent. When did honesty and big-picture thinking become an issue in anyone's career, especially after going through what Rose has gone through the past three years? So we can't be mad if after this he decides to never give an honest, forthright response to any question or any interview again. Why should he?

At some point the "punishment should equal the crime" rule has be called into play. The backlash toward Rose on this has been both berating and a bastardization of his character. Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith basically questioned his manhood, with Bayless saying "it's becoming clear that Derrick Rose is very, very gifted at something he really doesn't want to do: And that's play basketball at the highest level, the NBA level" on "First Take." Other local columnists such as Dan Bernstein questioned Rose's -- and a family member's -- educational pedigree and expressed concern that Rose is "missing the importance of the present." Charles Barkley called Rose's comments "flat-out stupid." Random people on the streets just going full-in on Rose.

All because we can't handle the truth when it's not what we want to hear.

When asked did he understand why he caught so much hell for his comments, Rose responded: "No. No. But I could care less." Followed by: "As far as everything that comes along with my story, missing two years, of course [controversy] is going to happen. I'm not worried about it as long as I'm being myself." And with trying to "be himself" comes honesty. The one thing we keep saying that we want from others. But obviously the one thing we can't take if it's not packaged like it came from Alexander McQueen.

Honesty is not always pretty; honestly is not always perfect. But honesty should, to some degree, when we request it, be respected.

Here's proof to how our hypocrisy reigns supreme and how we only want our truths digestible for infants who haven't grown teeth: A year and a half ago when Derrick Rose said he was still the best player in the NBA, the media and public had a very similar if not the exact same national response. We lost our collective minds, called him names, called him out of his mind, the same pattern that is being repeated now.

People had a hard time accepting his truth. But again, like now, the brotha was just being honest. And again, we couldn't deal with or respect it. It didn't fit "our" niche thinking of what someone is supposed to say. About themselves.

Which leaves open the question of who's the stupid, disappointing, selfish, uneducated and coddled one here: Derrick Rose or us?

you-want-it-one-way-marlo-the-wire.jpg
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That scoop jackson article is journalistic dickridin he's from chicago nobody in this city can be objective when it comes to rose.For roses sake I hope he can stay healthy and be an impact player he's had flashes but I don't have confidence in dude he stays hurt he's hurt himself in 3 of the 4 games he's played this year.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    like CB said, he's making 20 mil a year, nobody feels sympathy for him

If this was football, he'd have more of a leg to stand on
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To avoid the titanic term paper, I agree with dude's assessment but Nash's issue isn't just basketball. Wasn't he playing semi-pro soccer at the same time during his run with D'Antoni's run-happy offense?
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People can be outraged all they want on some basketball ? , but if you read between the lines, you would've realized he's talking about some real life ? , can't nobody tell him what his priorities in life could be.
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    nah, i'm with Stephen A, why was he talkin like he's a football player or boxer that's really at risk of being crippled, ? ?

Bill Walton had the WOAT ankles (they eventually fused them to his week just so he could walk) and he goes to his kids graduations just fine

Rose was talkin like he a war veteran on some Hurt Locker ? lol

Walton was so banged up he couldnt even continue broadcasting games due to back pain.

So hes actually not "just fine"
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They blew his comments out of proportion. I knew exactly what Rose was talking about
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    KNiGHTS wrote: »

To avoid the titanic term paper, I agree with dude's assessment but Nash's issue isn't just basketball. Wasn't he playing semi-pro soccer at the same time during his run with D'Antoni's run-happy offense?

Nash dad was a pro soccer player.

Nash worked out with semipro team to stay in shape during the lockout. Thats all. He never played pro soccer himself
  • R.D.
    Options
    People can be outraged all they want on some basketball ? , but if you read between the lines, you would've realized he's talking about some real life ? , can't nobody tell him what his priorities in life could be.

Bruh we don't care

He gets paid to do a job, same as everybody, he needs to do it
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whether this is wrong or not is another debate, but.

When someone is getting paid that kind of money in professional sports, it's implicit that part of the reason they are getting that money is to perform, despite the possible consequences their body may face far into the future. it's no different than anyone else who works in dangerous environments. However, they don't have the spotlight of importance D.Rose has, so no one ever speaks on this, if they complained most people would tell them to shut up and work.

Example: Your typical basic assembly line worker makes $10-12 an hour, however, there is a factory in my city that starts at $17, and goes all the way up to $26+ after working there for a few years. It's an assembly line, but it involves pouring molten metal, and you're guaranteed to get burned at some point, part of the reason they make that money is because it's implicit that they will end up with injuries in the future, the other reason is because the work is also hard (hot as hell, dusty, wearing heavy ass clothes, etc)

With that said, I don't see anything wrong with D.Rose sitting out, but as usual, he chose his words very poorly. Just like back when he was saying he could come back at anytime, instead of just saying he was out for the whole season.

He simply commented that he doesn't want to be sore when sitting at his child's graduation, and things of that nature, but that's something all athletes have to deal with, you would be hard press to even find a college athlete that will tell you their body is 100% fine after a life of sports.

Rather than talking about something in general that all athletes have to deal with, he should have focused on his injuries specifically, and talking about how his past injuries are affecting his body at this very moment.
  • RiGGA
    RiGGA Members Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You need to go get that published cuz we ain't reading that ?
  • BoldChild
    Options
    RiGGA wrote: »
    You need to go get that published cuz we ain't reading that ?

>Posting on a message board and not reading.

That post isn't even twice as long as the longest post you've made in this thread.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »

Bruh we don't care

How would you react if your employer expected you to risk yourself in a way that could adversely affect you after your career is over?

Basketball players get paid to play basketball, not get injured and not caution their health. Asking someone to sacrifice themselves for their job when, to you, their job ain't ? but entertainment anyway is ? . ? , I'm from Chicago and would love to see another trophy on Madison but as a man, that ? does mean .000001% as much to me as it does Derrick Rose and if he's willing to put his health ahead of that, who the ? am I to criticize his decision?

Same goes for these vets like Barkley. Nobody asked him to sacrifice his body. It would have been an insult o do so. The fact that he did it is admiral ONLY because he didn't HAVE to and nobody pressured him into it.
  • R.D.
    Options
    I would feel no type of way because that's what I get paid to do or I need to find another job
  • BoldChild
    edited November 2014
    Options

Bruh we don't care

How would you react if your employer expected you to risk yourself in a way that could adversely affect you after your career is over?

Basketball players get paid to play basketball, not get injured and not caution their health. Asking someone to sacrifice themselves for their job when, to you, their job ain't ? but entertainment anyway is ? . ? , I'm from Chicago and would love to see another trophy on Madison but as a man, that ? does mean .000001% as much to me as it does Derrick Rose and if he's willing to put his health ahead of that, who the ? am I to criticize his decision?

Same goes for these vets like Barkley. Nobody asked him to sacrifice his body. It would have been an insult o do so. The fact that he did it is admiral ONLY because he didn't HAVE to and nobody pressured him into it.

This post not directed to me, but I was speaking on this same subject.

I would quit, I definitely wouldn't be allowed to sit on my ass and still get paid. There are tons of jobs that adversely affects people's health out there, I spoke on this in my previous post, so I wont go into further detail.
  • R.D.
    Options
    BoldChild wrote: »

Bruh we don't care

This post not directed to me, but I was speaking on this same subject.

I would quit, I definitely wouldn't be allowed to sit on my ass and still get paid. There are tons of jobs that adversely affects people's health out there, I spoke on this in my previous post, so I wont go into further detail.

Not a hard concept to grab
This discussion has been closed.