Android and Apple Users Differ on More Than Just Their Choice of Smartphone

Options
dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
Android and Apple Users Differ on More Than Just Their Choice of Smartphone
Published on November 18, 2014 by Cory McNutt

Apple-vs-Android-cam-AH.jpg

We always knew there was a difference between Apple “people” and Android “people” – and we are not just talking about their smartphone choice or preferences in apps, but according to a UK market research and polling company called YouGov, we even have different tastes in the very food that we eat. With YouGov, you can put in any two brands, famous personalities, sports teams, political leaders or music artists and find out what the differences are between the two groups. The Business Insider plugged in Apple and Android just to see what makes the two groups ‘tick,’ so to speak and they found out some very interesting facts.

They explain that the study does not show what the “typical” customer is like, but what is “particularly true” about a group – in other words, the data shows characteristics or things that were disproportionately popular in that data set. It is still a lot of fun to go over the results and find out how the two groups tend to differ from one another. Our current stereotype of the typical Apple user is thought to be someone that has more discretionary cash in his or her pocket, has a professional job and are from a higher social status…and from the results, YouGov would tend to agree with that…remember too, that these findings are for the UK. However, some of the other differences are quite interesting and fascinating, such as Apple owners were big Beyonce fans while Android users were into singer-songwriter, Olly Murs. Did you know that when it comes to politics, Apple users are split down the middle, while Android users lean a little more to the left?

Take a look at the “typical” users postings below and you will get the general jest of the Apple and Android user in the UK. Apple – female, age 25-39, lives in London, political center, into the media and publishing profession and has extra monthly spending money of about £1000 ($1600) or more. The Android user, on the other hand, is a young male, age 18-24, lives in Northern Scotland, leans to the left in politics, into the information technology profession and has less than £125 ($200) extra a month.

A few other “facts” about the Apple and Android users – remember this is from the UK. When it comes to favorite food, Apple users tied with grilled halloumi or nachos, while, surprisingly, Android users were into roast pigeon…maybe why they have less extra money to spend. When it comes to media – Apple owners read the Guardian and Grazia while Android users read The Scotsman and The New Scientist. Apple users only watch 1 to 5 hours of TV a week and will watch Made in Chelsea and the Great British Bake Off, while Android users watch more than 50 hours of TV a week and shows like the Simpsons and ITV drama Cilla. Apple users spend about 31 – 35 hours online a week compared to the Android users’ 21 – 25 hours per week.

When it comes to entertainment, Apple users like the movies – Home Alone, Love Actually, Frozen, The Tourist and Gravity. Android user liked – Kelly’s Heroes, AVP: Alien vs. Predator, Coraline, The Italian Job and Brassed Off. Apple users favorite TV shows include – Friends, Sex in the City, Modern Family, The Inbetweeners and Breaking Bad. Android users liked – Oz and James’s Big Wine Adventure, 8 Simple Rules, Animal 24:7, What The Ancients Did For Us, Eddie Stobart: Trucks and Trailers. Apple users taste in music – Beyonce, Green Day, Arcade Fire, Ne-yo and Foo Fighters. Android user liked – Olly Murs, James Blunt, Cannonball Adderly, Pet Shop Boys and Rita Ora. Apple’s favorite celebrities – Gary Barlow, Jonathan Ross, Russell Brand, Graham Norton and Simon Cowell. Android users – John Noakes, Phil Harding, Samantha Bond, Buster Keaton and Penelope Wilton. Pets – Apple owners like fish and Android owners like dogs.

Most of those likes can be attributed to the gender and age group of the ‘typical’ users, but please hit us up on our Google+ Page and let us know if you follow the typical Apple or Android grouping…as always, we would love to hear from you.

Typical-Apple-User-in-the-UK.jpg

Typical-Android-User-in-the-UK.jpg

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2014/11/android-and-apple-users-differ-on-more-than-just-their-choice-of-smartphone.html

Comments

• sharpshotta11
    sharpshotta11 Members Posts: 59
    Options
    poor, male, android user...yup
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    poor, male, android user...yup

• VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Always said iPhone was for females.I don't know any male who has one besides teens who often share the same interests as girls.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Always said iPhone was for females.I don't know any male who has one besides teens who often share the same interests as girls.

I've been pro Android since 2011, but I see plenty of businessmen who still rock those iPhones for whatever reasons.

I think they are more of a status symbol with the teenagers.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Android is a better system and much more control over. While apple is for those who are not good with technology like women, but it's purely status reasons.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    iPhones are a status symbol. That's not to say they aren't good phones because they are. I don't really care for the OS, but Apple is good at optimizing their products so you wind up getting the iPhones and iPads outperforming some Android devices that have far better specs. On top of that, Apple's ecosystem is way better when it comes to extras and third-party accessories. So there are good reasons to choose Apple products. The thing is most of the people who get them couldn't make those arguments because they usually just get them because everyone else gets them.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont want to have to be forced to use itunes just to put music movies ringtones etc on my phone... I can plug up then drop and drag any file from my computer to the phone. also the internal battery and havingto get a new phone instead of a battery if it had issues was also a factor. Driods also had better cameras for a while (flash better pics)
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You have to first separate the cheap Android phones out of the equation, this excludes the poorer of people. What you actually find is people who buy flagship Android devices are more tech savvy, enjoy a little freedom, and like to have choices.
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I used to have an android phone years ago.. And before that a Palm.. Switched to apple around the iPhone 4.. Been rocking with apple ever since.. Overall I prefer apple's look and feel from a hardware and software standpoint.. Just preference though.. Android phones are more than adequate.. As far as android users being more tech savvy.. I wouldn't subscribe to that.. Without going into too much detail.. I work at a digital company and I would say 80% of the guys here use macbook pro's.. They run windows in parallel with the Mac OS.. Hell.. They build android Apps on Macs.. lol..

What I don't get though.. Is the fact that people call it a status symbol... To me it's just a phone... And all of these phones are pretty much priced the same when they release.. I don't get it..
  • sharpshotta11
    sharpshotta11 Members Posts: 59
    Options
    Ill never get an iphone. Nothing special about a bunch of icons on your screen hiding your background pic. With my android home screens plus themes, i've created a monster.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The status thing is false since everyone I know with one are broke, hoodrats and baby mammas or the same people who rush out to buy Jordans but are struggling with their bills.Just look around on FB and instagram.Most strippers got iphones and they are not high status.
  • B_A
    B_A Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    plenty of ratchets and thots walking around with iphones, ijs
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, these statistics are based on Europeans.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who cares about the uk
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I use both iphone and android.
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm good with my Galaxy S3. Airdroid and Chrome are my ? . Esp. with Chrome syncing my bookmarks from my computer to my phone and vice versa. I read on here about Airdroid awhile back and been using it ever since. Dragging and dropping files without using my phone wire. Plus Android has more customization my phone has a different look because I use different launchers when I want a new look