Alabama student and ESPNU campus reporter tweets joke about Jameis Winston after gunman opens fire

MasterJayN100
MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in From the Cheap Seats
Marisa Martin tweeted: 'Reported gunman on the FSU campus. Maybe he is heading for Jameis

tweetweb21s-1-web.jpg?enlarged

tweet.JPG?enlarged

A school shooting is no time to be making jokes.

That's the lesson one University of Alabama student and ESPNU campus reporter learned the hard way when she took to Twitter Wednesday night with an ill-advised attempt at humor after a gunman open fired on the campus of Florida State University.

"Reported gunman on the FSU campus. Maybe he is heading for Jameis," Marisa Martin tweeted.

Martin is identified by Alabama.com as a Alabama student who according to her profile has worked for ESPNU's Campus Connection since August 2012.

The bad joke about Seminoles star quarterback Jameis Winston drew immediate backlash from the social media community.

"If you really are an ESPN reporter you should be ashamed of this tweet. Grow up," wrote one person who saw the tweet.

In screen grabs posted on Twitter, Martin quickly reponded to the above comment by saying: "I'm entitled to my opinions."

With her intial tweet going viral, Martin then tried to explain herself further.

"Since apparently I cant make a joke in all seriousness I hope everyone at FSU is safe & that the gunman is found. But I stand by my opinions."

That didn't quiet the Twitter masses who began to call for her firing.

"ESPNU should fire reporter Marisa Martin NOW for her shameful Twitter post about the FSU campus shooting and Jameis Winston. Disgusting," was just one of the angry responses.

Martin eventually deleted her @MarisaM24 Twitter account and then early Thursday morning she claimed her account had been hacked and claimed "an investigation is underway."

The 2 a.m. two tweets were sent from the Alabama Campus Connection account (@UACampusConnect):

@marisam24 here just letting everyone at FSU know this account was compromised tonight. Sincere apologies and an investigation is underway."

"The account was hacked into and we are trying to remedy the situation as best as we can."

The hashtag #FireMarisaMartin is pretty popular right now.

al6j6a.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/alabama-student-tweets-jameis-joke-fsu-shooting-article-1.2017334?utm_content=buffere8b31&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=NYDN+Facebook

Comments