When You hear an album for the first time...............

Options
Built 4 cuban linx
Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some rapper, I forget who, Said something like, "Its takes me about 1 year or 2 to make an album, how do yall make a judgement on it in 1 day." Had me thinking about all the albums that I heard the first time and thought it was not so great but listened more and ended up like it or the albums that I heard and liked but as weeks so so went on ended up not liking it so much. My question is, do yall agree with what the rapper said(his album must've ? sucked) or do yall think that ? just caught feelings? how many listens do it take yall to hear an album and come to the conclusion if you mess with it or not?

BTW I agree with that rapper, too many albums over the years for me had me change my mind after that first listen

Comments

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    I think its a "caught in the moment" type thing. I do this ? with ? all the time.
  • MontyM.Max
    MontyM.Max Members Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah. This just happened to me with Paperwork. Smh. I ain't listened to that ? since Krit leaked.
  • Stew
    Options
    Many of albums back in the early to mid 2000's I fell in love with after a few listens turned out to be duds to just decent. Think thats why Im so critical of today's music.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just recently I was a little disappointed in that new shady album but im starting to like it more with every listen
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IT DEPENDS WITH MY MOOD...
    SOMETIMES I LISTEN TO AN ALBUM I NEVER HEARD BEFORE...
    AND I'LL KNOW IM NOT IN THE MOOD FOR IT...
    SO ILL HOLD OFF FOR A MIN.

ALBUMS HAVE GROWN ON ME TOO...
    BUT AGAIN...I THINK IT HAS TO DO WITH MOOD MORE THAN ANYTHING
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I think an album is trash then after time my thoughts dont change.

But there have been times on first listen I thought an album was ok and later on I thought it was great

And there have been times I thought album was classic then later on thought it was just ok

The only album I thought was absolute trash then grew to love it was yeezus
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unless I absolutely hate it, I usually give it two burns. Sometimes I'm distracted or just not paying close enough attention. It happens.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Naw u know what u like it instinctively .... When I get an album I go thru it all the way thru once if it's jamming to me that initial run then I ? w it if not then I don't.....the way I see it it's like the laws of attraction the more u force urself to listen to something the more it ll grow on u....then it's not really natural of organic
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate when ppl day it grew on me... ? grew on u cuz u condense urself for it to grow on u.... Like Common said doesn't take a whole day to recognize sunshine
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GRODT although left its impact, aged and it didn't age well for me.

Yeezus-I loved trying to find my footing on opinion with that joint, but I can't listen to it past I'm in it.

There's nothing wrong with appreciating an album while the hot is there because it can open you up to memories to hand in the future. But to make a clear judgement call on how an album is, it takes about a year or so imo
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think thats the case with most albums that you need to listen to them a couple times before you can really form our opinion. Only certified classics will blow away on the first listen, when you know that you're listening to something special. Last time that was the case with me, was GKMC
  • JerfyT
    JerfyT Members Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Schoolboy Q was the rapper that made that quote.

And I agree it takes a few listens to really absorb an album, but it does have to be good enough or interesting enough on first listen to make you want to go through that effort.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JerfyT wrote: »
    Schoolboy Q was the rapper that made that quote.

And I agree it takes a few listens to really absorb an album, but it does have to be good enough or interesting enough on first listen to make you want to go through that effort.

Funny that he made the comment because the hype far exceeded the actual quality of his album
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sometimes the albums that need to grow on you will stand the test of time, while the ones you instantly like will wear off. Guy that's the difference between pop music and art?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It takes years to really determine if an album is great. there's a lot of stuff that was hot at the time but when you go back and listen to it it's merely average.

There's a lot of 90s stuff that was flames at the time and you listen to it 20 years later and there's really only two or three standout tracks.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Artists make fans everyday it only takes one good track
    you could have 10 boo boo (radio) tracks and have 1 good song you could still have hype
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    An album with two good singles can get a pass. It usually takes a while to realize that there's only two good songs.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just came back to say this:
    We live in a microwave society, most of these people aren't listening to a whole album anyway, they skim through based on beats. You will be hard pressed to find someone who listens to a whole album more than once if at all.

Once they have skimmed through it they start deleting tracks off it and thus it's not even the whole project anymore.

I'm one of few people that may pick individual songs for my iPod or mp3 but I actually listen to the whole album, not many people do this anymore.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    According to thr IC you force to like something when you let it grow on you
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm old, so I remember before CDs. You really had no choice but to listen to the whole cassette.
  • Stew
    Options
    I hate when ppl day it grew on me... ? grew on u cuz u condense urself for it to grow on u.... Like Common said doesn't take a whole day to recognize sunshine

According to thr IC you force to like something when you let it grow on you

• 5 Grand
    Options
    smp4life wrote: »
    I'm old, so I remember before CDs. You really had no choice but to listen to the whole cassette.

Yeah, I had a boom box that had auto reverse, so the tape would keep playing. I listened to a lot of albums like that in my sleep. I'd put the tape in and go to sleep and the tape would keep repeating.