Wu Tang - A Better Tomorrow

Options
D.Original
D.Original Members Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭
Official release date is Dec 2. but its out there already. I havent heard the whole album yet but from the few songs i have heard its gona be good.

Its been 7 years since Wus last album. Idk if i missed the thread but the reason shuda been talking about this. ? should be stickied.

Comments

• just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wu Tang Forever
  • bkzlostchild
    bkzlostchild Members Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Giving it a listen when I get home
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Listened to it. I like it more than I thought I would. I think it will grow on me more as I listen more. I was kinda iffy about Ruckus in B Minor, but now when I hear it I wonder why I didn't always think it was dope as hell. I think that's how I feel about the album as a whole after I hear it a few times.
  • Sweat jones
    Sweat jones Members Posts: 641 ✭✭✭
    Options
    this album is produced really well. wasnt expecting this big up to RZA. not feeling the cheesy soul loops but i can look past that
  • rahrahrah
    rahrahrah Members Posts: 88 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Album made me sad. Sad to see my favorite hip-hop artists "bow out", so to speak. Wish they came back with a vengeance. Good album though, lot of gems, worth a buy and a couple repeat listens. Wu-Tang forever was for me their most monumental album. Love.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I LIKE THIS ? ...
    I EXPECT IT TO BE JUST AS POLARIZING AS 8 DIAGRAMS THO...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How come the Wu tang B team couldn't get it together? I'm talking about U ? , Masta Killa and Inspecta Deck. And even though he had a GOAT debut, I guess you could add GZA to the list. They all had skills, they all had connections but now it's 20 years down the line and these guys (except for GZA) don't have any memorable moments or time in the spotlight except for when they were rolling with the clan.

In contrast, Method Man, RZA, Raekwon, Ghostface and Old ? Bastard had careers outside of Wu Tang and could survive outside of the clan if they were to break up tomorrow (except ODB).

What do you guys think, is it talent or work ethic? Or personality?

And for the record, I'm not talking ? about the Wu B team, I tried to get on around the time they came out and never had the success they had.
  • $ineedmoney$
    $ineedmoney$ Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...I've only heard the single...Don't wanna' hear anything else until I copp it...
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    How come the Wu tang B team couldn't get it together? I'm talking about U ? , Masta Killa and Inspecta Deck. And even though he had a GOAT debut, I guess you could add GZA to the list. They all had skills, they all had connections but now it's 20 years down the line and these guys (except for GZA) don't have any memorable moments or time in the spotlight except for when they were rolling with the clan.

In contrast, Method Man, RZA, Raekwon, Ghostface and Old ? Bastard had careers outside of Wu Tang and could survive outside of the clan if they were to break up tomorrow (except ODB).

And for the record, I'm not talking ? about the Wu B team, I tried to get on around the time they came out and never had the success they had.

INS just had the worst luck ever with having his album destroyed in that flood. He dropped a dope album last year plus his mixtape he just dropped was hot too
  • $ineedmoney$
    $ineedmoney$ Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

...Masta Killa's No Said Date album is underrated...That was a dope release...The album just got slept on...

...Built 4 cuban linx spoke on the Inspecta Deck situation...No excuses for U-? tho'...lol

• KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm giving in a second listen right now. The joints I aint feeling right now are We Will Fight, Preachers Daughter & Pioneer the Frontier. Im up to Necklace right now.
  • 5 Grand
    edited November 2014
    Options

...Masta Killa's No Said Date album is underrated...That was a dope release...The album just got slept on...

...Built 4 cuban linx spoke on the Inspecta Deck situation...No excuses for U-? tho'...lol

Although I haven't heard said album, I believe you when you say it's hot. but the question still remains, why was it slept on? How come the Wu fans didn't support it?

Also, Deck's album got lost in a flood. O.K so how come he didn't record another album that was just as good?

I'm inclined to think anybody in Wu could get whoever they want to make tracks for them, Premiere, Just Blaze, Kanye West, or whoever is the new hot producer. I think some of the Wu members got complacent. They're satisfied being members of the clan and just don't have the ambition to go solo. That's how it seems to me, otherwise Deck would have got all the hot producers to replace the album that was lost.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RZA didnt produce decks album and the one he still released was actually pretty good, you old enough. you tell us why you guys slept on it
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I LIKED UNCONTROLLED SUBSTANCE & THAT CZARFACE ? HE DID W/ ESOTERIC.
    EVERYTHING IN-BETWEEN WAS BUNS
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    RZA didnt produce decks album and the one he still released was actually pretty good, you old enough. you tell us why you guys slept on it

Good point. You're right, I was in my twenties when Wu was popping. Those first round of solo albums were all flames. I think the turning point was when they released that double LP. It was good, but honestly I thought it was just too damn long and never took the time to listen to the whole thing (I have the vinyl album which is four separate discs). After the double album I remember Supreme Clientele which everybody liked. then it just seemed like they kept releasing material with no commercial single. You'd look up and one of them would have an album with no promotion. You knew what to expect, which is why you didn't cop.

Basically as I see it, they were the hot new thing when they first came out, but their style got tired. Especially when Puff took over. Puff had the 80s samples and club/radio hits and all of his artists were doing numbers(I'm talking around 97/98/99).

I remember Old ? had a hot song called Got Your money that came out in 99. I think it was produced by The Neptunes and featured Kelis (I think). Method Man dropped an album around that time too but it got poor reviews.

When the new millennium rolled around the only one that was holding down the Wu tang tradition was Ghostface IMO.

But I still can't explain why none of the other members didn't work with other producers. That's what I can't figure out. Any of the other members should have been working with other producers, banging out hits and going Platinum.
  • D.Original
    D.Original Members Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    besides a handful of tracks, i was disappointed after the first listen. the production is a little too refined for the wu. but im gona keep listenin. 8 diagrams grew on me the more i listened to it.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Album is aight. I might have to hear Iron Flag & 8 Diagrams again later to see where it measures up
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Good point. You're right, I was in my twenties when Wu was popping. Those first round of solo albums were all flames. I think the turning point was when they released that double LP. It was good, but honestly I thought it was just too damn long and never took the time to listen to the whole thing (I have the vinyl album which is four separate discs). After the double album I remember Supreme Clientele which everybody liked. then it just seemed like they kept releasing material with no commercial single. You'd look up and one of them would have an album with no promotion. You knew what to expect, which is why you didn't cop.

Basically as I see it, they were the hot new thing when they first came out, but their style got tired. Especially when Puff took over. Puff had the 80s samples and club/radio hits and all of his artists were doing numbers(I'm talking around 97/98/99).

I remember Old ? had a hot song called Got Your money that came out in 99. I think it was produced by The Neptunes and featured Kelis (I think). Method Man dropped an album around that time too but it got poor reviews.

When the new millennium rolled around the only one that was holding down the Wu tang tradition was Ghostface IMO.

But I still can't explain why none of the other members didn't work with other producers. That's what I can't figure out. Any of the other members should have been working with other producers, banging out hits and going Platinum.

Just for the record, I don't want to come off like a hater. Wu is a top 5 Hip Hop group.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    No Said Date came out in 2004 years after the Wu's mainstream prime was over. Besides that not everybody is meant to be a star. MK had no problems playing his position. Like OB4CL said Deck had bad luck and poor timing. U ? thought he was up there with the popular Wu members but he didn't have that charisma and star quality plus he wasn't as good.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I really think this is an album you have to give a few listens. Because of the production style, some of the stuff is going to sound odd on the first listen. A good example is Miracle. When it first came one I was like "What the ? is this?" and then when they started rapping and the beat really came in, I thought it was amazing. Another example is Preacher's Daughter. When I heard the chorus on those snippets, I thought I'd hate that track, but on the album it is dope. I think there was a few missteps on the album, but all in all, it's a very solid release.

As for the Wu themselves, they kinda were put in a bad situation. On one hand, everyone wants them to be the same as they were. On the other hand, everyone expects them to reinvent things they way they always have. This album is a good example of that. If you're wanting to hear them channel their 20 y/o selves, you're going to be disappointed. If you want to hear the natural progression of them going from dope ? in their 20s to dope ? in their 40s, you'll probably really like the album.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can a ? get a lank
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? aint even gonna sell 5k first week
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Although I haven't heard said album, I believe you when you say it's hot. but the question still remains, why was it slept on? How come the Wu fans didn't support it?

Also, Deck's album got lost in a flood. O.K so how come he didn't record another album that was just as good?

I'm inclined to think anybody in Wu could get whoever they want to make tracks for them, Premiere, Just Blaze, Kanye West, or whoever is the new hot producer. I think some of the Wu members got complacent. They're satisfied being members of the clan and just don't have the ambition to go solo. That's how it seems to me, otherwise Deck would have got all the hot producers to replace the album that was lost.

Nah man ghost rae ? can prolly get who they want, everyone else is gonna be outta there. I mean if I made beats I wouldn't give master Killah ? . That ? almost killed triumph and everyone else murked it even ugod had a decent verse. He did have 2 dope tracks on one of his lps I think it was the 1st