Carmelo Anthony: ‘It Was A Perfect Setup And Perfect Fit For Me In Chicago’

Options
MR.CJ
MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
Everyone, including Carmelo Anthony himself, acknowledges that playing for the Bulls would have been the ideal choice (basketball-wise.)

Ultimately, Melo took the New York Knicks’ money — the Knicks’ offer was about $50 million larger than what Chicago could spend — and chose to stay in Gotham for reasons beyond winning.

Anthony’s free agency decision last summer was a very difficult choice between the Windy City and NYC, and the superstar forward says it’s something he’d never want to go through again.

Per the NY Post:

The behind-the-scenes, day-by-day look at Anthony’s free-agency tour will be shown Tuesday on MSG Network. During the program titled, “Carmelo Anthony: Made In NY,” Anthony emphatically states it came down to the Knicks and Bulls. The show depicts Houston falling out of the running because of the “culture change’’ of living in Texas and the Lakers losing out because they were in a similar, rebuilding situation to the Knicks.

“It came down to Chicago and New York,” Anthony said during the program. “Chicago was the one from Day 1 [and] was something I was very impressed with. They were looking for someone like me to come in and take them to the next level. So it was perfect. […] It was a perfect setup and perfect fit for me in Chicago. But also I had to think about just living in Chicago. Do I want to live in Chicago? Do I want to take everything I created in New York and move all of that? It came down to that. But there was one point in time I was like, ‘Oh, I’m going.’”

“Although it does look greener on the other side, it’s not always greener on the other side,” he said. “It’s only couple of people in each genre who are made for New York. Whether it’s music, fashion, or sports. I’ve grown up on that concrete. There is nothing that could happen there that I wouldn’t know how to handle it. […] I was the little kid running around in the projects and not knowing what would happen next. Whether my dreams would come true. To see it full circle now, it’s a great thing for me. A fresh start, clean plate, trying to build a different culture. The past perception of the New York Knicks hasn’t been great. But now we want to change that culture.”

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/carmelo-anthony-perfect-setup-perfect-fit-chicago/

Comments

• bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah, he always acting like the 40 mil discount didn't factor in.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He would've been suicidal had he left all that money on the table then injured himself like D Rose. It was a smart move, now get the wack ass knicks to the playoffs
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S7zoZ.gif

? out of here bruh
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Carmelo will never win a chip, but he will always be one of my favorites to watch.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I woulda went to chicago
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Man this ? from Baltimore

@Billy_Poncho‌ I think he has west baltimore tatted on him.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

His bio says that he was born in and lived in Brooklyn until he was 8.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, now you all know where his head is at. He didn't want the rings, he wanted the dollars.
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    Options

Bruh, thank you. When Melo first got traded to the Knicks and they did the whole coming home ? I was mad as ? lol.

What New Yorker you know got Baltimore tatted on the chest?! FOH.
    I swear his ? should've went to Chicago smh.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »

His bio says that he was born in and lived in Brooklyn until he was 8.

I also moved from one city to another at age 8. Its kinda half n half

When i was younger i would say my birthplace was where im from, but once i got older i just said i was from where i grew up

Melo bout to be or is 30. He from Bmore
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Carmelo is a ? ass ? and he already missed his best chance at a ring with that Nuggets team he took to the WCF.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Carmelo is a ? ass ? and he already missed his best chance at a ring with that Nuggets team he took to the WCF.

Cosign the bold. No ill feelings though. I was ready for him to leave. That team reached its ceiling and was unable to beat the Lakers when I felt they should. He made a sorry franchise better than it had ever been though. I appreciate the work he and Karl did.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    Tupac from LA

Should have used Oakland if you were going to go that route with the example.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? on espn the magazine or some ? showing how hes a "businessman" and what he plans to do after basketball now hes on MSG looking even dumber with his logic for staying in NYC. Whoever is homes publicist needs to get him away from these cameras and reporters cause its making him look more and more like a ? .

Only cameras should be of him working hard in the gym/filmroom although i highly doubt hes putting in more work than the average NBA player there.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He stays in New York now everybody involved is gonna lose.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In real life

50 mill more >>> 50 mill less

/Thread.

That's all that matters. Its a job. He's getting paid maximum salary for his services. $50mil>>>>>>> a chance at rings. ? can always get traded. Get that money.

He already got money to me I would think a ring would help post nba autograph revenue and you can't put a price on being asked why u didn't win a title for 30 plus years after your career.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    In real life

50 mill more >>> 50 mill less

/Thread.

That's all that matters. Its a job. He's getting paid maximum salary for his services. $50mil>>>>>>> a chance at rings. ? can always get traded. Get that money.

He already got money to me I would think a ring would help post nba autograph revenue and you can't put a price on being asked why u didn't win a title for 30 plus years after your career.

i value money, and as you said, he has money. i'd rather be known as a winner, a champion, and a legend, than a kat who came through the league, scored a bunch of points, made more money than the average, and retired. i see no value in that route.

folks talk more about the winners and champions of the game forever, than those who got max deals.

in hockey, when you win the championship, they put your name on the trophy for eternity, i want that ? . when i'm dead, i can't take that max money with me; but damn sure believe, my name will be etched in the game's history forever.

melo's only accomplishment in basketball will most likely be a top 10-15 scorer, all-time, and a HOF nod based on points scored, nothing more.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broke ? logic. Carmelo potentially providing for generations of his family >>>>>>>>>>>> than ring chasing. ? gon retire earning almost half a billion, if not more. No shame in that. He's can make a real difference with that. Fairy tale ass ? .
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The problem ain't with him wanting his money, the problem is with him putting up that big ass pouting front in the middle of games and in the media last season like his #1 priority goal going into free agency was all about positioning himself to win a championship.

Close thread