Why Is There Even a Question as to What Ancient Egyptians Looked Like?

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
We don't question what Socrates, Aristotle, and Plato'em looked like. There's no question as to what Caesar, Marcus Antonius, and Cicero looked like. These no question as to what the Chinese antiquity looked liked. The same goes for Incas, Aztecs, and Mayans. However, when were talking about ancient Egypt there's suddenly a debate as to what they they looked like, despite the fact they left behind sculptures and paintings of themselves. Then there's DNA proof as to where the ancient Egyptian linage is traced to.

Is it because the Greeks got a lot of their knowledge from the libraries of Alexandria and that would mean that Western culture would ultimately trace it's origins to a society of highly civilized and technologically advanced (for their time,) African people. As I stated in http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/524342/the-reason-why-well-probably-never-see-black-actors-as-leads-in-biblical-epics#latest, it because whites can't deal with the fact that first practitioners of monotheism, Judaism, and by extension Christianity, were Africans. Is it because if these things were established as fact, then it completely expose the notion of white supremacy for the farce that it is?

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    because europeans have the world on smash and everybody else is feeling insecure especially black people
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    well, i think there's legit confusion with people who fail to understand how long Egypt's been around, how the population's changed, and figuring what was done then. it's basically a white country NOW, so it's hard for some people to process it wasn't always like that. plus the whole Ptolemaic dynasty thing.

and then you have the "white guys want to see white guys in movies" argument that i think you're referencing there.

what i'd really like to see is internet arguments that go like "you know, the events in question happened in year X and at that time, the population looked like: (insert picture of a black guy)" instead of devolving into a "THEY WERE BLACK" "THEY WEREN'T IN THE TEN COMMANDMENTS" back and forth that convinces no one of anything.

I agree. I don't think it's so simple to say ALL the ancient Egyptians were Black. Although of course, there were many powerful Black Egyptians in ancient days and at least 5 Pharoahs were Black African
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All the way to the Assyrians and a few when the hyskos were in power. That's ay least 2300 years in power and then the pre dynastic period. That's a few thousand years of black leadership.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dont forget about them green egyptians

egypt1.gif
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »
    dont forget about them green egyptians

egypt1.gif

LOL wow I didn't know those existed
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Big James
    Big James Members Posts: 345 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They looked Dominican.
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Egypt isnt a 'white' country now Jank, yes, there are lightskinned/meditaranean looking people there, but also loads of Brown skinned and darker skinned people.

its like saying Brazil is a white country.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    well, i think there's legit confusion with people who fail to understand how long Egypt's been around, how the population's changed, and figuring what was done then. it's basically a white country NOW, so it's hard for some people to process it wasn't always like that. plus the whole Ptolemaic dynasty thing.

and then you have the "white guys want to see white guys in movies" argument that i think you're referencing there.

what i'd really like to see is internet arguments that go like "you know, the events in question happened in year X and at that time, the population looked like: (insert picture of a black guy)" instead of devolving into a "THEY WERE BLACK" "THEY WEREN'T IN THE TEN COMMANDMENTS" back and forth that convinces no one of anything.

Egypt is not a White country, it's an Arab country
  • whar
    whar Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    About 6000 years ago the Sahara returns to being a desert. This isolates North Africa from the rest of Africa. From that point onwards gene flow from the Levant begins overwhelm the small trickle of gene flow from south of Egypt. Since the predominant gene flow never changed for the last 5 or 6 thousand years it is difficult to believe that the people the built the pyramids looked much different than the people walking around Cairo today.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whar wrote: »
    About 6000 years ago the Sahara returns to being a desert. This isolates North Africa from the rest of Africa. From that point onwards gene flow from the Levant begins overwhelm the small trickle of gene flow from south of Egypt. Since the predominant gene flow never changed for the last 5 or 6 thousand years it is difficult to believe that the people the built the pyramids looked much different than the people walking around Cairo today.

typical white ? answer

the eyptians themselves said they originate from the land of punt which is an areas encompassing modern day northern ethopia parts of sudan and Eritrea
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »

Janklow will refer to the CIA Handbook which considers Arabs and even Indians Caucasian....I never agreed with that classification but I'm sure that's what he'll say
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    The Egyptians are closer to Ugandans than anyone. Ramses only had 0.01% of Arab blood
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Arabs are considered Caucasian and it's an Arab country now... not way in Ancient times.
  • LUClEN
    Options

Arabs are considered Caucasian and it's an Arab country now... not way in Ancient times.

There are researchers who claim that the dna evidence we have indicates that the demographics weren't that different back then
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Claims....Show the DNA and I'll show the dna.
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The sahara isolating North Africa from the rest of the continent is non sense, many people( Saharans lmao) live in the desert and there has been cultural/tribal mixing back and forth for milenia...

its just that the Sahara is like what? Similair size as the US? Africa is huge, ancient for our kind, so human diversity is grand out there.

those light skinned berbers in morocco, algeria etc, are just as much native to the continent as the dark skinned Zhulus from South Africa.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Alkinduz wrote: »
    Egypt isnt a 'white' country now Jank, yes, there are lightskinned/meditaranean looking people there, but also loads of Brown skinned and darker skinned people.
    two things: one, a country can have a sizable number of minorities and still be generically considered a white or black or whatever country.

two, Brazil is a very convenient country to pick, because while it's almost mostly white (47.7% white), it's MOSTLY white/mulatto (43.1% mulatto; 90.8% infected with white). pretty white after all! on the other hand, if your country is "Egyptian 99.6%," then yeah, it's a white country.
    yeah, Arabs are white, so if it's an Arab country, it's a white country.
    Janklow will refer to the CIA Handbook which considers Arabs and even Indians Caucasian....I never agreed with that classification but I'm sure that's what he'll say
    i mean, i'll source the numbers from there because i want the percentages clearly stated, but Arabs are white people, guys. they're not black and they're not Asian. they're ? -ass crackers who are trying to fly under the radar because they're mostly not stereotypical Nordic white folks.

DON'T BE FOOLED, PEOPLE

and yes, Indians are Caucasians too. it's time everyone came to terms with the horrible truth about Indians.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    The Aryans in the north are Caucasians.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Alkinduz wrote: »
    two things: one, a country can have a sizable number of minorities and still be generically considered a white or black or whatever country.

two, Brazil is a very convenient country to pick, because while it's almost mostly white (47.7% white), it's MOSTLY white/mulatto (43.1% mulatto; 90.8% infected with white). pretty white after all! on the other hand, if your country is "Egyptian 99.6%," then yeah, it's a white country.
    yeah, Arabs are white, so if it's an Arab country, it's a white country.
    i mean, i'll source the numbers from there because i want the percentages clearly stated, but Arabs are white people, guys. they're not black and they're not Asian. they're ? -ass crackers who are trying to fly under the radar because they're mostly not stereotypical Nordic white folks.

DON'T BE FOOLED, PEOPLE

and yes, Indians are Caucasians too. it's time everyone came to terms with the horrible truth about Indians.

What are you using to measure whiteness?