Why Is There Even a Question as to What Ancient Egyptians Looked Like?

Options

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    And why should dark as hell Indians and very tan skin Arabs consider themselves White?
    "very tan skin" sounds white as ?
    Trashboat wrote: »
    Moreover though, the racial tripartite is based on an outdated and severely flawed ideology
    it's ALMOST LIKE one day people are going to realize this racial ? is nonsense and move past it or something like that
    Why? According to Janlow they are White
    smh
    sadly, you seem to have not actually read my posts since that isn't what i said
    Janklow crazy. I dropped science already
    this system of people trying to screw around with my clear classifications is BEYOND inefficient. get on board and stop giving these secret crackers a pass
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

http://africaunlimited.com/uncategorized/was-socrates-black/

WAS SOCRATES BLACK

socrates1.jpg

SOCRATES DESCRIBED HIS OWN APPEARANCE AS BLACK

Death from a kangaroo court brought on by drinking from a cup of poison hemlock as punishment for his teachings, the words of Socrates provide pillars of Christian belief and Western thought. These have earned him the title of Father of Western Philosophy. Those ideas include: The doctrine of Nous, i.e. Mind or Intelligent Cause in order to account for ? and Creation. The immortality of the soul. The doctrine of Supreme Good. However, was Socrates African?

Many people who try to debunk the Ancient Egyptians as not being Black use the excuse that they covered their bodies with the fertile Black soil of the Nile but if you look at Ancient Greek you would know that they are painted as Black also because they were Black. As a matter of fact the Ancient Greeks adopted Egyptians Gods like Zeus and made them their own.

http://www.unbiasedtalk.com/the-intellects/zeus-the-supreme-being-of-the-greeks-was-black/

According to Godfrey Higgins, “The Greek gods were adaptations of the Egyptian ones. Hence, the earliest ones of Greece WERE BLACK.” Zeus, the Supreme ? of the Greeks, was Black.” The Book of ?

greek-101.jpg

http://www.answers.com/Q/Did_ancient_Greece_have_fertile_soil
    Did ancient Greece have fertile soil?
    No. The soil was hard and rocky and wasn't easy at all to farm on. That made it hard to get food and trade because they didn't have cash crops.
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meroe wrote: »
    janklow wrote: »
    What are you using to measure whiteness?
    i know white when i see white

young-tamil-girl.jpg

tam1.jpg~original

3215049392_51d92d7b09.jpg

tumblr_mnra8cprzl1snb3oxo1_500.jpg

dravidian_4.jpg

mix_8.jpg

dravidians676ch.jpg

yanadi.jpg

http://youtu.be/vWyAYGlFZjk

Funny-Hmm-O-rly-oh-really-Orly-Suspicion-Suspicious-Will-Smith-GIF.gif

@janklow‌ is going to ignore this post? Smh
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    And why should dark as hell Indians and very tan skin Arabs consider themselves White?
    Moreover though, the racial tripartite is based on an outdated and severely flawed ideology
    it's ALMOST LIKE one day people are going to realize this racial ? is nonsense and move past it or something like that
    smh
    this system of people trying to screw around with my clear classifications is BEYOND inefficient. get on board and stop giving these secret crackers a pass

"yeah, Arabs are white, so if it's an Arab country, it's a white country."

They speak Arabic, making it safe to say they are Arabic
    unless this means something else in Janklonia it seems you did say that
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh

Very tan skin = White to you??? Do you need new glasses? You think those dark as hell Indians would be called White in Alabama or Sweden? And have you heard about the growing movement among Arab Americans to have a new racial classification system for them?
  • janklow
    Options
    so this is from my first post in this thread: " it's basically a white country NOW, so it's hard for some people to process it wasn't always like that."

it's almost like i was referring to a distinction between ancient Egypt and Egypt circa 2014 or something. get back to me with your retraction when you get a chance.
  • janklow
    Options
    Huey_C wrote: »
    @janklow‌ is going to ignore this post? Smh
    i'm not sure this post is the silver bullet that slays the awkwardness of racial categories that you think it is
    Very tan skin = White to you??? Do you need new glasses? You think those dark as hell Indians would be called White in Alabama or Sweden? And have you heard about the growing movement among Arab Americans to have a new racial classification system for them?
    oddly enough, many white people can be very tan. doesn't stop them from being white

also, i don't think my standard for white people is based on "what would some dude in Alabama say." lord knows that should never be the standard for anything.

i've heard a lot of stupid ? in my time, so i'll just say that Arabs wanting a non-white classification is code for "we want to be white people without being lumped in with white people"
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Janklonia... I didn't know your name was being abused in here Janklow, I was being playful, not rude. You know I love ya Jank.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    so this is from my first post in this thread: " it's basically a white country NOW, so it's hard for some people to process it wasn't always like that."

it's almost like i was referring to a distinction between ancient Egypt and Egypt circa 2014 or something. get back to me with your retraction when you get a chance.

"Why? According to Janlow they are White"

The bolded indicates current tense, not past tense.
    I made no mention of you saying they were white, I said you said they are White
    Ergo your strawman accusation is misplaced and I demand a full apology

• janklow
    Options
    Janklonia... I didn't know your name was being abused in here Janklow, I was being playful, not rude. You know I love ya Jank.
    *bursts into tears*

• janklow
    Options
    "Why? According to Janlow they are White"

The bolded indicates current tense, not past tense.
    I made no mention of you saying they were white, I said you said they are White
    Ergo your strawman accusation is misplaced and I demand a full apology
    dude, you were replying to someone who was talking about the ancient Egyptians:

BiblicalAtheist wrote: »
    My oldest told me in her history book all the Ancient Egyptians were made white.
    Focal Point wrote: »
    Damn shame smh.

let's trying and keep our sass talk accurate, please. however, you DO have a loophole as regards this "Janlow" character, i suppose
  • LUClEN
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Even if my statement was misplaced as my response has little to do with what they said, this strawman i was accused of still does not hold

I demand a full apology
  • janklow
    Options
    I demand a full apology
    seems unlikely, my man

• PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Are we still in here arguing about africans not being in africa? Why are all those obvious pictures africans plastered all over the walls? Why are there statues/dolls of obvious africans all over egypt? What is a huge african mans head with big ol ? lips and a shot off wide flat nose doing on top of a lion's body? Why do the well preserved corpses look like africans?

What's up with all the braids, locs, baby afros, fades, gold teeth, gold chains, gold rings, carrying stuff on the top of their heads, traditional african dress, piercings, traditional african crafting, etc etc.....

The ? is all this african ? doing in africa? It can't be because africans lived there..... ..... ..it just can't!!! Plus we all know that ALL africans are jet black with super curly hair.
    2014.06.27-mrconservative-53adc7012b3f4.jpg
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Janklow is correct about the race categories, though. I made a thread a while back trying to shed some like on how the US classifies it's citizens. Which allowed immigrants from Africa, black as can be, to classify themselves as white under the right circumstances. Same with Arabs and Indians.

"Race is destiny and black equals slave", the classification of ones skin color is more about sorting citizens into the racial caste this country has. It's doesn't seem to have an interest in putting people in their correct ethnicity.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The debate over the race of the Egyptians is due to the fact that they are considered one of the greatest civilizations ever and we have them to thank for a lot of what is used in Western culture. For the longest, since the Egyptians were believed by Europeans as being so great, the Euros decided to pass on the myth that they were white. They continued to push that for decades and it caught on because Euros and Americans already believed that everything good must have come from white people and black people had not created anything of worth. Afrocentrists came along and wanted to set the record straight, so they rightly took on the task of revealing some of the information that has been hidden and attempting to prove that Egypt was indeed and African culture and specifically a Black African culture. The problem is that some of the Afrocentrists tend to go too far in the conclusions they make, and therefore make their movement controversial.

I think the debated is important. Again, the problem is that Blacks, especially here in America, have been taught for so long that we were inferior and that has affected the psyche of our people. The truth is a far different matter, and that needs to be put out there. Not just for our benefit, but for other races too. Because maybe if they understand that this rhetoric of blacks being inferior and never having accomplished worthwhile is false, they will be able to look at us differently and more fairly.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The debate over the race of the Egyptians is due to the fact that they are considered one of the greatest civilizations ever and we have them to thank for a lot of what is used in Western culture. For the longest, since the Egyptians were believed by Europeans as being so great, the Euros decided to pass on the myth that they were white. They continued to push that for decades and it caught on because Euros and Americans already believed that everything good must have come from white people and black people had not created anything of worth. Afrocentrists came along and wanted to set the record straight, so they rightly took on the task of revealing some of the information that has been hidden and attempting to prove that Egypt was indeed and African culture and specifically a Black African culture. The problem is that some of the Afrocentrists tend to go too far in the conclusions they make, and therefore make their movement controversial.

I think the debated is important. Again, the problem is that Blacks, especially here in America, have been taught for so long that we were inferior and that has affected the psyche of our people. The truth is a far different matter, and that needs to be put out there. Not just for our benefit, but for other races too. Because maybe if they understand that this rhetoric of blacks being inferior and never having accomplished worthwhile is false, they will be able to look at us differently and more fairly.

Some afrocentrists. Most never had that mind set but when the research show how we are the basis of civilization and our true age in history it became apparent on our influence.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Some afrocentrists. Most never had that mind set but when the research show how we are the basis of civilization and our true age in history it became apparent on our influence.

Yeah, I said some. I'm careful to do that on this site these days cause ya'll have a fit when you don't see qualifiers. lol
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The problem is whites control the narrative. Hitting them with facts and evidence is ineffective because perception often beats out truth. And perception is influenced most effectively by the media and the public school system.

This is why we need our own ? to push our own narrative.
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    indyman87 wrote: »

Nice, I'm learning a lot of new stuff here
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My dad once told me the original Sparta's were black
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

That's kinda one of the reasons Afrocentrics aren't taken seriously. Their goal went from trying to reclaim African History for Africa to claiming that everyone of note in history was black.

I actually saw an interview where Ivan Van Sertima spoke on it. He basically he said that he had to distance himself from the Afrocentric movement because some of the stuff they said made it harder for him to get his work taken seriously.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's kinda one of the reasons Afrocentrics aren't taken seriously. Their goal went from trying to reclaim African History for Africa to claiming that everyone of note in history was black.

I actually saw an interview where Ivan Van Sertima spoke on it. He basically he said that he had to distance himself from the Afrocentric movement because some of the stuff they said made it harder for him to get his work taken seriously.

True, a lot of people were people who had high amounts of melanin compare to northern Europeans but the spartans were not African. Unless you mean everyone since its our birth place of humanity but in the last five thousand years no.
  • janklow
    Options
    ding ding ding

i once was talking to someone who felt crazy-ass Afrocentrics were fine because they balanced out crazy-ass guys on the opposite side of the spectrum. somehow it seems to me like increasing the amount of people with a questionable grasp on topics is never a good thing.