New D'Angelo Album "Black Messiah" Dropping 12/16!!

Comments

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better life be havin a ngga stuck, b. Like somebody is cuttin onions, stuck. I'll put that song up against any he's ever done
  • S2J
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Man! Ok, I was always little ? that it was taking so long for D to get his ? together and drop a new album.. (not right of me, I know!).. then the very first review I read on another site, was not too nice.. so I thought ok, this may not be something I'll take a liking to...

I WAS ? WRONG!

Hit play and almost instantly had me thinking I was back when Brown Sugar and Voodoo came out!

DOPE ?

And like someone said in here... "PSYCHEDELIC" sums it up right!

WELCOME BACK D'ANGELO! DON'T YOU EVER LEAVE!!!
  • S2J
    Played 1000 deaths in the whip, my goodness. This album is hittin from all angles

No more questions for me, this is a classic
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    S2J wrote: »
    *another life

I don't drink but I call Another Life wine music. Type of song, you'll kick back, relaxing with the stereo playing while drinking fine wine to this ?
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8/12 tracks are incredible.

Great tracks
    -Aint that easy
    -1000 deaths (play this with some sound its crazy)
    -the charade(easily my favorite)
    -sugah daddy(really fun track)
    -really love(so pretty)
    -back in the future
    -till its done
    -another life(another pretty one)

Didnt really care for the other 4.

Loved the album.
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been on repeat since Monday

love all the tracks for different reasons but my top 3 are...

-Aint That Easy
    -The Charade
    -Back to the Future
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *another life
    Played 1000 deaths in the whip..

On first listen those are the two songs that stayed with me

'1000 deaths' is some crazy ? for real. Listened to it high.. .
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I really wish this ? would try to annunciate...
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I see ? are already dissing the best song on the album. I mean "Prayer" of course.
  • southernmade
    southernmade Members Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This album is jammin and on some grown folk ? ......current RnB ? arent making albums like this. Now all we need is Lauren to get back on her ? ....and even though Maxwell came back in 09....it's taking this ? another 10 years to drop an album sheesh.....
  • BoogaSuga
    jono wrote: »
    Me and my girl were joking about how D'Angelo doesn't really do words.

He makes noises that sounds like words should be there but it's a wild guess about what the ? is actually saying.

He started that on Voodoo... google "Voodoo liner notes"

The album features aggressive multi-tracking of D'Angelo's voice, a technique similar to the production of Sly & the Family Stone's There's a Riot Goin' On (1971) and Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On (1973). The multi-tracking on Voodoo significantly affected the clarity of D'Angelo's vocals. In Voodoo '​s liner notes, Saul Williams wrote of its heavy use of multi-tracking, stating "You might respond, 'Lyrics? Yo, I can't even understand half the ? that D'Angelo be saying. That ? sounds like Bobby McFerrin on ? '. And I'd say, 'You're right. Neither can I. But I am drawn to figure out what it is that he's saying. His vocal collaging intrigues me'".
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    Me and my girl were joking about how D'Angelo doesn't really do words.

He makes noises that sounds like words should be there but it's a wild guess about what the ? is actually saying.

I'm only 3 songs in but it's dope so far, definitely can't sing along though.

It's called "? singing". And yeah, he does it quite often. Sounds really dope though.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well thank ? ? I'm not the only one that can't understand D'angelo. I'm vibin to the music, and the melodies but I'm sittin here like "what the ? is he sayin?! How can I sing along to this?!"
  • S2J
    You know the music is good when you dont wanna wear it out. I've let it chill for the last 2-3 days
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    First I ain't like it. It sounded muffled on the beats bad sound engineering and the voice played too far behind the instruments and no songs were catchy or made me wanna really hear it. Later I listened to it on my headsets and it was a different cd and now I'm listening to it everyday. It's a damn good cd. He did a lot on here. I still have my critiques on it, but overall it's worth buying and a good cd and innovative (which alone is almost impossible to do). I think if I had to describe the overall mood I'm a go retro and say this is the definition of New Jack Swing. A lot of the music had a little swinging beat that went back to that song "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing," with a lot of D'angelo styling added to it, with rap influenced lyrical delivery, multi-layered voicing choruses and with a bass that's basically killing it in every song by changing up the flow within one-song to show you many dimensions of that one song. I'm a just leave the negative I didn't like about it out.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMAZING ALBUM...
    AFTER ALL THESE YEARS...
    DUDE STILL SOUNDS GREAT
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well thank ? ? I'm not the only one that can't understand D'angelo. I'm vibin to the music, and the melodies but I'm sittin here like "what the ? is he sayin?! How can I sing along to this?!"

THAT ? DOES SOUND LIKE HE COLD & HUNGRY THO
  • S2J
    bump

Never fails with great albums there's always that 1 song that didnt hit you at first, that grows into a classic

That 1 for me is 'Til Its Done'

Acid raiiin, drip down. sumthn sumthin sumthin sum....til its done. LALALALALALALALAAAAA
  • S2J
    that transition from the uptempo head bobbin 1000 deaths to charade

post-38184-Ving-Rhames-WHAT-gif-facepalm-pJwD.gif

Man that song has me stuck in mud. damnit. Loss for words
  • BoogaSuga
    Im still bumpin it
  • BoogaSuga
    Black Messiah Album Commentary
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxtXGRquvS0

...commentary on the album from Jack Thriller, Spike Lee, Nelson George, Questlove, and others
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super classic. Easily the best album of 2014.
  • BoogaSuga