Did Sony inadvertantly make Spider Man a mutant?

soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker was genetically predisposed to the effects of the spider's venom because his father implanted his DNA into the spider.

A mutant, as defined by Marvel, is anyone who is genetically predisposed to mutation. In the X Men's case, it's called the X gene. In TASM, it was Peter's specific family gene which, when triggered, gave him his powers. But the venom didn't have the same effect on Harry Osbourne.

Comments

• Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought spider-man was already a mutant. I mean his genetic code has been mutated when bitten by the spider.

Not sure what Sony adding predisposition to it means.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spider-man has always been considered a mutant, the other mutants just don't look at him the same because he was not born one.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Spider Man is traditionally considered a Mutate, meaning his genes were changed from what they were originally.

A Mutant, on the other hand, is someone born with the X gene. He was never considered a Mutant and from a story perspective, he wasn't hated for having powers/abilities as much as he was for being a "public menace".

Sony changed his origin from what what Marvel created.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Would mayday be considered a mutant then?
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would mayday be considered a mutant then?

Yes, since she was born with her powers.

Mutant refers to anyone where a genetic level change occurred before birth, resulting in being born with superpowers, or the potential for them.

(Examples: The X-Men, Franklin Richards)

Mutate, which Spider-Man has always been classified as, is anyone where a genetic level change occurred after being born.

(Examples: Spider-Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four)

There's always been some level of confusion between the two among some fans.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    I thought spider-man was already a mutant. I mean his genetic code has been mutated when bitten by the spider.

Not sure what Sony adding predisposition to it means.

that would make him a mutate not a mutant. spiderman is still superhuman by definition