Free space memory is disappearing in my PC

Options
reapin505
reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
What the title says. My pcs memory is disappearing over time, I have no idea what is causing it. My internet has been slow as ? also so I don't know if someone got into my router or just my pc. I am most likely gonna reformat it but do yall, know if that is even gonna work? I went from 166gb of free memory space to 102gb in just one night. I got it back up to 150gb last night but its decreasing slowly again. I have cleaned the disk, ran virus scans, boot scans, and tried defragmenting, though that literally didn't do anything I think. Is there anything else yall can think of before I reformat this thing? The internet being slow might be from my neighbors across the street having a giant hole dug on the side walk in front of their house because their water or something since comcast runs underground. But I also downloaded a vpn free trial recently and I am not sure if that opened my computer and gods forbidding my router up to ? I don't want.

Sorry for the titan graph but if yall could help it would be appreciated.

Comments

• Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • B_A
    B_A Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Defrag your computer first
  • B_A
    B_A Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh, didnt see where you already did that. Go in and look at which folders have a bunch of data. A vpn wouldn't have done anything to your computer unless you caught a virus, you could have a Spyware. You can go in and look and see what programs you have recently added but it sounds like you some type of virus.
  • reapin505
    Options
    Yeah I did that first to the most recently installed folders I downloaded. I couldnt find anything extra and I scanned them with avast but nothing. I ran a full system scan then I got one possible threat from an old program but avast took that ? out quick. I also deleted the vpn and the other two new programs I downloaded. I have my pc disconnected from the router to be safe it's off now. I was still losing memory it appeared though. Went down to 134gb.

can't find the damn disks to reformat either smh
  • dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Could download something like Wiztree and scan your drives. Makes it a lot easier to see where exactly something is. Just incase its something simple like Steam or eMule running at startup and downloading something youve forgotten about.
  • reapin505
    Options
    Nahh. It's happening when I disconnect the internet cable. I'm sure it's a virus avast isn't picking up. I'm likely gonna have to reformat though I can't find the disks
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    even so a dirtree program will show you the largest files. also try finding the most recently modified files on the whole drive... once you see them you'll have a better idea of what's writing them.
  • reapin505
    Options
    So I did a quick disk clean up which gave me back lots of space and am currently running one of those programs that tells me which folder has the most memory. I restored the system to an earlier point also yet I still losing free disk space. Avast aint picking ? up, I need to reinstall malyware bytes, and I can barely download anything or watch videos on this thing anymore. I am at my wits end. Google only shows results for windows 7 pcs that have similar problems but all the hot fixes have ? I can't find on my vista pc.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Run malware bytes
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You need geek squad and a bigger hard drive my ? . You don't even know what computer memory actually is. You talkin about disk space. And diggin a hole in the ground isn't slowin down your internet speeds. Call your isp, take yo ? to best buy and stop listenin to ? on this site cause this isn't a tech support forum. It's not even the type of site you'd go to with your technical questions.
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yo homie this is how i freed up my space when ? get slow.you gotta delete your restore points.thats what is eating up your memory bruh.go to 1.control panel...2.click on system and security..3. System 4.system protection 5.go to Configure at the botton 6.you can either turn off system restore or leave your settings how you got it....7 see current usage at the bottom??? and max usage??determine how much space you want to take off your harddrive and then after you do that just delete and youre done youre gonna free up alot of space
  • reapin505
    Options
    Yeah thats what I have been doing since I reformatted my pc. Mods yall can go ahead and close this thread, kinda forgot I even had this here lol.

Got a notification thinking Pico finally came around and sent me nudes for a late birthday present or something when I saw the notification... guess not damn it
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yo homie this is how i freed up my space when ? get slow.you gotta delete your restore points.thats what is eating up your memory bruh.go to 1.control panel...2.click on system and security..3. System 4.system protection 5.go to Configure at the botton 6.you can either turn off system restore or leave your settings how you got it....7 see current usage at the bottom??? and max usage??determine how much space you want to take off your harddrive and then after you do that just delete and youre done youre gonna free up alot of space

You probably wanna keep those in-case your computer gets ? up and you need to do a system restore.
  • reapin505
    Options
    It deletes all but the most recent one which is fine with me