Addiction and Depression

Options

Comments

• Beezus
    Beezus Members Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peanut_205 wrote: »
    If dude really wanted help hed get it, not post on a forum that cant do ? 4 me.

If he can post here he can tell family or friends the same ? . They can actually help him

Im sorry ur going through hard times but if u aint really trying to find help go ? urself

Sometimes it's easier and/or better to go to people that don't know u or ya story
    Stop judging
    The IC ain't the best place due to the immaturity around here but better than nothing I guess
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If he can post here he can tell family or friends the same ? . They can actually help him

Im sorry ur going through hard times but if u aint really trying to find help go ? urself

I did tell all my friends this week actually, but thank you for the support.

Ok good u told ur friends, what did they do for u? If they did nothing they arent ur friends bruh
  • Negro_Caesar
    Options
    Beezus wrote: »

Sometimes it's easier and/or better to go to people that don't know u or ya story
    Stop judging
    The IC ain't the best place due to the immaturity around here but better than nothing I guess

Telling this forum real ? is pointless. ? fish for likes and ? on here. Dallas has 5000 post. He knows how ? works here
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i don't know if Peanut is depressed or not, but he definitely needs anger management
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've loved my pills, and I've loved my whiskey. But you don't want your head full of either one when the house gets quiet and dark.
  • Beezus
    Beezus Members Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Stop judging

Telling this forum real ? is pointless. ? fish for likes and ? on here. Dallas has 5000 post. He knows how ? works here

True that's why i said this ain't the best place
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip hop saved my life
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Stop judging

You know I started posting here when I was 15. I'm 25 now, over the years I have turned to the IC for an outsiders perspective on issues in my life. Hell I went from a boy to a man all while posting on the IC, there was a time when we did actually talk about real ? in G & S you know.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There was also a time where people made parody accounts named "Fetus #1" and "Abortion Doctor" to make fun of a female who had multiple abortions and clearly mentally ill...
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    There was also a time where people made parody accounts named "Fetus #1" and "Abortion Doctor" to make fun of a female who had multiple abortions and clearly mentally ill...

Yeah and that usually happened in Donkey, not G & S.
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Goat thread @Dallas and ? y'all judgmental posters, everyone has an unhealthy habit.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    I don't think you need help, if your not into reading then get into it, books like "A mans search for meaning" or "The 7 habits of highly effective people", you will start looking at things from a different perspective, and you got to put the bottle down, it destroys the mind and if u don't your going to hurt yourself get to a point of no return and when you finally seek help after its too late your going to realize you were just making excuses to hit the bottle, like other people get your diet right and exercise, get your mind in some books, meditation is something I need to learn myself, do some volunteer work which may help you count your blessings and realize ? ain't as bad as your making it, and stay positive and motivated before it's too late and your that 40 year old dude who looks 60 and could never put the bottle down
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whatever you do bro...dont give up. The fact that you beat yourself up for mistakes of the past proves you have a "conscience". Dont let that negative energy consume you though. Try to take it one day at a time. Each day you wake up is a good day and you control your destiny.

we all have to deal with the outcome of the decisions we made. Your attitude is what is important. Others have given you some good advice in my opinion. Stay up bruh. You can bounce back if you really want to.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    To me a ? poor diet is just as bad as drugs and alcohol, that's y I keep it balanced and every once in a while I'll do a detox, and I'm known for hitting the bottle on the ic due to early morning rants a few years back, although I was overdoing during that time I know when I have to get away, it's when you get away from it is when you realize how much it tears you down, just like your diet you can get used to eating fast food and drinking soda everyday, get away from it for a while purify your body and then eat some fast food and that's when you realize how much the ? was destroying you
  • Negro_Caesar
    Options
    Dallas what u done besides post here for help? My best friend was put on anti depressants. Maybe u should see a doctor. They really helped him
  • Rasta.
    Options
    Dallas what u done besides post here for help? My best friend was put on anti depressants. Maybe u should see a doctor. They really helped him

Man, stay the hell away from them ? . He's replacing an addiction with addicting drugs, not really smart
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was pretty bad my last 2 years of college. Couldnt eat, sleep, or hardly function. I had 6 therapy sessions and felt like a new woman
  • Negro_Caesar
    Options
    Rasta. wrote: »

Man, stay the hell away from them ? . He's replacing an addiction with addicting drugs, not really smart

Y not? Fix the feeling
  • B_A
    B_A Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Y not? Fix the feeling

you go from one problem to another, he will be ? in the long run being prescribed them ? .
  • Rasta.
    Options

Y not? Fix the feeling

It's not a permanent fix and that's how an addiction starts, you go from small doses to being hooked.
  • LOLCL
    LOLCL Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's really about finding someone to relate and talk to. People don't realize how hard it is to step away from a routine that has been helping you live for a long time. Just take care of yourself and make sure you making positive, progressive steps to respect the pain you've lived man because the only way through it is to work towards something better.

The power is in you always to break the cycle.

Anti-depressants effect a lot of other areas of your life, and if you had been on them for awhile, and suddenly wanted to stop, you'd never be the same after. It's just a drug, just like everything else.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You're not the only one, brother. Talking about it can avoid going down a road that will end in a terrible way. If you need anything, don't hesitate. We're gonna make it.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think part of being depressed is you have to really try your hardest to analyze what your real issues are. if your problems are mostly external (work, women, money, friends, addiction) you can take steps to change those things; if everything seems fine on the outside or if no matter how good things are going you're still depressed or you're just unable to do anything then you need to at least see a shrink on a trial basis.

it's normal to get depressed every now and then but if you stay like that for extended periods of time you're not just a burden to yourself but also to everyone around you which makes people stop ? with you and just contributes to the descent.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    You gotta replace your negative coping mechanisms with positive ones. Lift weights, run, meditate. Or whatever you discover works for you, those are the tools I used to overcome mental health and addiction struggles. You gotta learn how to effectively fight that ? . Hard at first but once you get positive momentum going it get's easier.

Oh, and I didn't just figure this out by myself. A therapist told me this. So cosign people saying talk to a professional. Come clean with your doctor and ask him to refer you to someone. Even if you don't keep going regularly, in one or two sessions they could hit you with some extremely valuable knowledge and advice to make your life easier. You might end up wanting to keep going.

Take one day off drinking. Then take 2. Keep pushing it until you're doing 4-5 days off, aka only drinking on the weekends, then keep pushing it.
    You do have to progress though. If you just keep taking two days off and then going back to drinking you will not defeat the cravings. It's the eventual long stretches off that shake addiction. Those first couple days are a ? and will require willpower from you. The more you do, the easier it gets, the weaker the cravings get. It's best to find something to do to keep yourself occupied during your normal drinking hours, not stare at the TV and think about how you wish you could drink. Sounds cliché, but you gotta start one day at a time.