Video: New York State Trooper Threatens Driver With Arrest For Video Recording Traffic Stop...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
politicususa.com/2014/12/26/york-state-trooper-threatens-driver-arrest-video-recording-traffic-stop.html
New York state trooper told a driver recording a traffic stop earlier this month that he’d “find a way for the DA’s office to arrest you” if the driver posted the video to YouTube. The driver, John Houghtaling, posted the video to YouTube on December 21st, shortly after the traffic stop. The trooper, known as Officer Rosenblatt, stated during the video that Houghtaling was stopped for a loud exhaust. As Houghtaling recorded the interaction with the trooper, Rosenblatt became increasingly defensive and angry, demanding numerous times that Houghtaling put down the phone.

The video starts after Houghtaling has been pulled over. The driver points out he does not know why he’s been stopped and that he’s going to record the conversation with the officer. Once Rosenblatt approaches the car, he requests Houghtaling to stop recording the interaction. He also attempts to block the camera from seeing his face. After about a minute of back and forth between the two, a clearly perturbed Rosenblatt responds to a question from Houghtaling by saying, “How about if I see this video posted to YouTube I find a way for the DA’s office to arrest you?”

Throughout the traffic stop, Houghtaling repeatedly asks if it is illegal to record the police or if he’s legally obligated to answer a certain question. Rosenblatt reacted belligerently to all of Houghtaling’s questions and told him on more than one occasion that if he tells him to stop recording that he needs to stop. Beyond issuing the threat of arrest through nefarious means, Rosenblatt seems to not be aware of the actual law and instead feels the need to bully the driver into full compliance with his orders.

Apparently, Houghtaling has a reputation in the area for video recording his interactions with local law enforcement. Towards the end of the video that Houghtaling posted, Officer Rosenblatt specifically asks him, “What is your issue with always videotaping?” Houghtaling responded back to Rosenblatt’s question by saying, “Am I legally obligated to answer that?” Eventually, the cops storms off, presumably to write up the ticket for the traffic violation.

In this instance, it would seem like the officer should face some kind of discipline, up to and possibly including termination, for threatening to concoct an arrest just to get revenge on the driver. It seems like Houghtaling is a bit of a provocateur and was itching for a reaction from the police officer by being a bit ‘in-your-face’ with his recording of the stop. However, he was well within his rights and police officers need to get used to citizens recording traffic stops, arrests and other interactions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OLe7O3z9NQ

Comments

• Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he left that meathead cop stuck on stupid after every question

pig clearly doesnt know the law
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cops are C average high school bullies and 2nd string athletes with no direction.

I should have save this for a higher traffic thread. It would get more LOL's. Still a true post tho.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most of these cops are dumb as ? and don't know the law
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Cop was HEATED lmao.

"The real reason for me being pulled over was the fact that I've been known by their organization to film all of my interactions with police."
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    these cops get heated once they see the cameras rolling
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Those rights the lil' guy is exercising don't mean jack ? to any officer that feels like exercising rights is something little ? do to give backsass. Some would've smashed the window, others would've snatched the camera out of his hand and smashed that too.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    these cops get heated once they see the cameras rolling

That's what i think happened to Antonio Martin...
    Dude started recording, n got blasted
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    I feel the video but it's not a reality for me cuz I'm black. That cop would beat me or shot me if I fought back. White dude was able to be sarcastic and video them safely

Yep. If you would have ignored his orders, you woulda got roughed-up and possibly murdered for "resisting".

Then people like Charles Barkley would be saying you shoulda just "complied with the officer and stopped filming him....

"If you woulda showed some respect and obeyed the officer, you wouldn't have ended up riddled with bullets."

So, in the end, it would be all your fault that you got shot.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Without watching the video I knew he was white. There's no way a black man would get away with doing that ? .
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the cop should have killed that ? .
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    I feel the video but it's not a reality for me cuz I'm black. That cop would beat me or shot me if I fought back. White dude was able to be sarcastic and video them safely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ3dk6KAvQM
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yo police officers can make anything a threat

"YOUR PHONE THAT'S 3 FEET AWAY FROM ME IS SO INTRUSIVE"

Hey! you have me paranoid, that's EMOTIONAL DISTRUPTION! lol.

we should have a thread making fun of laws cops would come up with.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some things stick out to me that need to be addressed by the cop's superiors.

1. The cop is asking unrelated questions and giving clear evidence that there is a vendetta.

2. (Something they'll never change) The cop has a false sense of authority. He thinks he can tell you what to do even when legality/illegality isn't a factor (stop recording, roll window down more).

3. He's irritated because dude knows his rights and knows the basic questions to ask. The cop told him why he stopped him and then said "you don't have an answer to that one?" ? , he asked You the question and you gave that answer. What answer is the guy who asked the question supposed to have after that? Cop so mad b/c he can't trample on dude's rights that he starts saying ? that makes no sense.

I pick up on subtle things. The way he expressed that he stopped dude for a "legitimate" loud exhaust issue shows that he's just reaching to ? with dude.

Hilarious video.

I'd like to see a panel of cops on tv explain how this situation could have been handled better. Not b/c I think any of them would say it could have been handled better, but b/c it would illuminate their ? defensive and adversarial mindset.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dudes like that should not b cops.
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if that was a ? cop calling back up

skow-shooting.gif
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Steve Wilkos was getting agitated... ooooooooh that bacon grease was rumbling
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    1of1 wrote: »
    Some things stick out to me that need to be addressed by the cop's superiors.

1. The cop is asking unrelated questions and giving clear evidence that there is a vendetta.

2. (Something they'll never change) The cop has a false sense of authority. He thinks he can tell you what to do even when legality/illegality isn't a factor (stop recording, roll window down more).

3. He's irritated because dude knows his rights and knows the basic questions to ask. The cop told him why he stopped him and then said "you don't have an answer to that one?" ? , he asked You the question and you gave that answer. What answer is the guy who asked the question supposed to have after that? Cop so mad b/c he can't trample on dude's rights that he starts saying ? that makes no sense.

I pick up on subtle things. The way he expressed that he stopped dude for a "legitimate" loud exhaust issue shows that he's just reaching to ? with dude.

Hilarious video.

I'd like to see a panel of cops on tv explain how this situation could have been handled better. Not b/c I think any of them would say it could have been handled better, but b/c it would illuminate their ? defensive and adversarial mindset.

This part had me rolling...like ? that's not how English works. I ask the question, you give an answer. If the answer is sufficient then that's the end of that exchange. Now I'm obligated to give an answer to your answer? FOH sherlock lol