H.B.O's "The Leftovers", Season 2 Will Have a Different Setting & New Supporting Characters

PILL_COSBY
PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
Damon Lindelof should probably be used to his work dividing people by now, after the variation in reactions to the Lost TV series finale and his Prometheus screenplay; his and Tom Perrotta’s HBO show, The Leftovers, prompted similar love/hate responses throughout its first season earlier this year. However, now that the TV series has burnt though most of Perrotta’s original source material with its debut ten-episode run, it makes sense that Leftovers (according to new reports) will be undergoing something of a partial reboot, for its sophomore season in 2015.

Leftovers season two will reportedly move the action away from season one’s setting, the fictional small town of Mapleton, New York; not so surprising, really, seeing how season one wrapped up with the Guilty Remnant cult having finally made its “grand gesture,” prompting the town to descend into chaos at last following a season of locals’ temperates maintaining a low-simmer boil. So, now that the citizens of Mapleton have finally broken their fever (and Mapleton’s GR chapter may be finished in full), we’ll see how other places have been handling the mysterious disappearance of 2% of the world’s population.

season two looks to include the leads from season one; specifically, Mapleton chief of police Kevin Garvey, Jr. (Justin Theroux), along with Kevin’s wife, Laurie (Amy Brenneman), and their kids, Jill (Margaret Qualley) and Tommy (Chris Zylka). Carrie ? as Nora Durst is also expected to return – even after the season one finale, “The Prodigal Son Returns”, left it unclear whether she and Kevin would, in fact, still have a future together – as is Christopher Eccleston, as the ex-reverend-turned Kevin’s trusted friend (well, he’s willing to help Kevin bury a body in the woods, at the least), Matt Jamison.

Liv Tyler (as GR member Megan Abbott) is also expected to return for season two, as is Ann Dowd as Patti Levin; seeing as the latter character killed herself in season one, though, it remains to be seen how she’ll come back (hallucinations? Flashbacks? Both?). The Leftovers season two’s “new location” has yet to be revealed, as does its connection to the GR organization (assuming it has one), but one presumes that’ll be where most of the new side players this season reside, even as the show continues to check in with the aforementioned Mapleton residents.

Comments

• PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as the preacher is back, that's all I care about. He was ? G.O.A.T and he's a really good acter. H.B.O stay finding G.O.A.T talent.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the characters back so I'm cool with it. If they were trying to go that true detective route (which is what i assumed due to thread title) I'd be thrown.
    Weird that they're already out of source material but we still don't really know ? lol. Season 1 was a straight mind ? . It was entertaining tho.