Much of Society's Unrest Caused By Barrage ....

Options
desertrain10
desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much of Society's Unrest Caused By Barrage of Negative Stereotypes in Films

The University of Central Florida Forum

12/28/14 11:39 PM ET

By Anthony Major UCF Forum columnist

Everybody has a perception about what the image of art should say -- or not say -- but few have an informed opinion. The power of the communicative arts transcends the mere power to inform. That power is used in film, television, newspapers, radio, art, magazines, music, theatre and the new social media network as a means of influencing and shaping attitudes by providing images and opinions.

This power of film is universal as it transcends place, race and gender. It has the power to set or change behavior.

A former mentor of mine, Rheet Taylor, once explained to me there are only two types of opinions: informed and uninformed. Which one should we all desire to have? It becomes increasingly difficult, however, to become informed when only one group is calling the shots as to what that image of a particular culture is seen through the arts, especially film -- which has a larger-than-life image and gets exported throughout the world. As the Andre Agassi commercial for Canon cameras years ago said: "Image is everything."

It is my opinion that negative images of African-Americans perpetrated by some of the media is the cause of a lot of the unrest happening across our nation and around the world today. The constant barrage of images of African-Americans as troublemakers, as threatening or as menacing, are so embedded in our psyche that when incidents happen -- such as we saw in Ferguson, Mo., Staten Island, N.Y., or Ohio, where a 12-year-old was shot within seconds of police arriving at the scene -- many feel they are justified.

As an audience, we all bring our own personal perception and bias, but these large visual and sound images in film affect us all and alter our perception and bias to the message projected for us to see. The size of the image has a lot to do with the power of the experience. We empathize with an image that is larger than us, in an experience that we cannot control. Good or bad, we've experienced an adventure on film and we leave with the negative images of African-Americans portrayed on the screen.

These bigger-than-life images are how the rest of the world perceives us, and that perception -- good or bad -- becomes the reality.

Leaving the production of the images in the hands of the few who control the economics, who themselves were influenced by negative images, brings predictable results. For example The Color Purple, Colored Girls and Training Day, which are all good films, all portray the black man in a negative way. We get a steady dose of Tyler Perry films, where the main character is a male dressed as a female, which many black comedians did to become successful, and a ton of negative reality-television shows.

To have more positive outcomes, we need to have a balance of positive images. We all say we want positive images, but what is positive, to whom and for what purpose?

Why do we keep having incidents like the recent leaked emails between Amy Pascal, co-chair of Sony Pictures, and producer Scott Rudin about what President Obama's favorite films would be, and the comments of an unnamed producer in a New York Post article who said "Denzel Washington (who is a two-time Academy Award winner) shouldn't star in blockbuster movies because he is black...the international market is too racist."

Yet films like Shaft, Superfly, Trouble Man and a bevy of other African-American films boosted Hollywood during the '70s. And the international markets have been duplicating African-American arts, jazz, Michael Jackson's dances, even black dress and gestures for centuries.

When African-Americans live in a pluralistic society and try to preserve their culture and its meaning, it becomes difficult in a capitalist society, where to some, increasing the bottom line at all costs is imperative.

Where does this leave the artists? The artists, who are trying to balance out the bigger-than-life power called film, need to be supported. In Hollywood studios, there has never been an African- American who can "green-light" a film. Support of African-Americans in the boardroom, with the power to green-light, may one day balance out the bigger-than-life images that are both entertaining and economically successful.

We need to do our due diligence, and research and listen to differing viewpoints of all cultures. We also need to try to understand differing opinions of how the local and foreign media view our culture. That way we can have an informed opinion about what our fellow citizens are complaining about, real or unreal.

^

Thoughts ? Lol

Does the author put too much stock into the influence of film and other forms of media on our perception of the world and others?

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can believe that movies and the media keep the stereotypes going, but I also believe that those stereotypes are only as prevalent in movies and the media because of how widely believed/accepted they are in regular life. It's sort of like a chicken vs egg thing.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think this is an interesting topic. I do believe in the power of media to influence peoples opinions. This is why propaganda even exists. But I think all to often people lack real world exposure to those that are different then themselves. We are so internalized that it becomes difficult to imagine how others operate different from ourselves. And when you don't have experience with people of different ethnic backgrounds, the ignorance is even more abundant.

People put so much faith in the things they see on tv and other forms of media, that it becomes reality to them despite the truth. But not everyone takes the things they witness in media as the gospel. But sits become apparent a lot of people do, whether it be consciously or subconsciously.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does anyone read mein Kampf? It explains all of that in there.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

why should i read a book written by ? ?
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Nah...im pretty sure this 'barrage' is being caused by dead bodies.

I woulda taken his better if he was more direct and specific, rather than tying it into the current unrest. Thats debate-bait as i call it: In times like this, every bad thing ever about black people is tied in together, as if we can prove their all related if we just debate long enough.

'How Mystikal's verse on Shake it Fast helped put the bullet in Mike Brown'. Im not impressionable enough to fall for this ? but im sure this thread will serve its purpose.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    True.

Birth of a Nation

I need to see that
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While a person can be smart, people as a whole are stupid.

Tribe mentality, Flock mentality, Pack mentality. When we (ppl) gather, stupidity follows.

Can't blame it all on media
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Yo_Killa! wrote: »

If you want to defeat an enemy you need to know how they think. Art of war know thyself and know thy enemy and you will victorious.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

If you want to defeat an enemy you need to know how they think. Art of war know thyself and know thy enemy and you will victorious.

Problem with that is that the people that are behind institutionalized racism don't think like ? . They're purpose is to manipulate people in a way that maintains the status quo and secure their roles and wealth. ? just wanted to ? a bunch of people because he was an insecure ? .
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can believe that movies and the media keep the stereotypes going, but I also believe that those stereotypes are only as prevalent in movies and the media because of how widely believed/accepted they are in regular life. It's sort of like a chicken vs egg thing.

Quite.

A lot of the stereotypes we deal with existed long before many types of media. The difference is people are provided with examples that serve to continue that line of thinking.

Radio, television and the internet have done nothing but exacerbate issues. Like one poster mentioned already, people aren't going to discern information for themselves, they want to be told what's happening in the world from a source they deem reliable, whether that source is reliable or not is always up for discussion.

That said, Noam Chomsky wrong a really short but powerful book on this phenomenon of media control over society. You can literally read it in 10 minutes.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    jono wrote: »

Quite.

A lot of the stereotypes we deal with existed long before many types of media. The difference is people are provided with examples that serve to continue that line of thinking.

Radio, television and the internet have done nothing but exacerbate issues. Like one poster mentioned already, people aren't going to discern information for themselves, they want to be told what's happening in the world from a source they deem reliable, whether that source is reliable or not is always up for discussion.

That said, Noam Chomsky wrong a really short but powerful book on this phenomenon of media control over society. You can literally read it in 10 minutes.

You know what's crazy about white people. They don't accept arguments regarding race no matter who it comes from. I was on a forum where there has been topic after topic praising Chomsky. Then when he wrote that piece you're talking about, the whole topic dedicated to it was a bunch of people saying he was a hack or was wrong or overrated. It's crazy.
  • shit happens
    shit happens Members Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @desertrain10 have i told you that i love you lately?

giphy.gif
  • Ajackson17
    Options

Problem with that is that the people that are behind institutionalized racism don't think like ? . They're purpose is to manipulate people in a way that maintains the status quo and secure their roles and wealth. ? just wanted to ? a bunch of people because he was an insecure ? .

No, same reasoning as ? . You know he had to do a year long smear campaign to indoctrinate his beliefs within the country of Germany to make what he was doing "Logical". Also, he wanted to control the thinking in Germany and push his beliefs further. This is deeper than hating Jews it was pure white supremacy at its strongest viewpoint. Look at the Rhodes Award thread and what the person said about non whites needing to be erased. This sentiment never died within the think tanks, the elite and etc.

Think of why President Obama is strongly supporting the Mexicans and Latinos and Asians and not done nothing for blacks. We were brought here for servitude and now we are of no use for this nations progress.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

No, same reasoning as ? . You know he had to do a year long smear campaign to indoctrinate his beliefs within the country of Germany to make what he was doing "Logical". Also, he wanted to control the thinking in Germany and push his beliefs further. This is deeper than hating Jews it was pure white supremacy at its strongest viewpoint. Look at the Rhodes Award thread and what the person said about non whites needing to be erased. This sentiment never died within the think tanks, the elite and etc.

Think of why President Obama is strongly supporting the Mexicans and Latinos and Asians and not done nothing for blacks. We were brought here for servitude and now we are of no use for this nations progress.

That's not quite the same thing as what I was arguing. Yes, ? had to basically brainwash the German people to go along with all his ? just like the people maintaining the status quo in the U.S. My point was that they aren't doing it for the same reason. In the U.S. there is an established power structure that is held together by rich people who will do any and everything to remain rich. That's how institutionalize racism in America began, that's how it's still going on today. ? wasn't born into old money and he wasn't trying to preserve an established power base, so he's not at all like the architects or maintainers of institutional racism in America.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's not quite the same thing as what I was arguing. Yes, ? had to basically brainwash the German people to go along with all his ? just like the people maintaining the status quo in the U.S. My point was that they aren't doing it for the same reason. In the U.S. there is an established power structure that is held together by rich people who will do any and everything to remain rich. That's how institutionalize racism in America began, that's how it's still going on today. ? wasn't born into old money and he wasn't trying to preserve an established power base, so he's not at all like the architects or maintainers of institutional racism in America.

You are correct but people should still study ? because he was a complete political genius before he went insane and believed his own hype.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It wasn't White supremacy, it was German nationalism. There was no love for non-German Whites. Just ask the Poles and Czechs.
  • zombie
    Options
    ? and the ? party are a perfect example of how you bring down an established order.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black Panther 2017 and Idris Elba as James Bond

aluminum-tubes-o.gif
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

You are correct but people should still study ? because he was a complete political genius before he went insane and believed his own hype.

Well I can't argue with that. I mean he did get a country full of people who aren't blonde haired and blue eyed to believe that people with those phenotypic traits were the only ones that deserved to live. That does take genius.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Media programming is mind programming (and belief reinforcement). It's a powerful tool used with other tools.
  • zombie
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »

It wasn't White supremacy, it was German nationalism. There was no love for non-German Whites. Just ask the Poles and Czechs.

That's not quite true. It was ? supremacy poles and Czechs were not considered ? . But other european nationalities were
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    100% correct. Saw Dawn of the Apes for the 1st time this weekend. Pretty good movie. But if I'm white watching the movie, I'd definitely have the fear ingrained in my head that "these ? gon go crazy
    one day". Messages aren't always directly given to you. It's so much subliminal messaging programmed in these movies, you wouldn't even realize the negative stereotypes they put there.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

I can agree with that but as zombie stated we should study him due to his thinking and he was a master propagandist