Kid acts up, Has to watch xmas gift be returned. Good punishment? Yay or Nay.

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in For The Grown & Sexy
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/parents-punishment-for-kid-after-christmas-earns-106525140552.html

e44f0051ae037127e0aaac37e05c1d672039991f.jpg

In the lead-up to Christmas, plenty of kids are warned: misbehave, and Santa won’t be stopping by. But few parents have the kind of follow through that was highlighted on Reddit over the weekend. On December 26, Redditor bdy2013 posted a photo of a receipt for a Wiii U Console with Super Mario 3D World Bundle Pack– which includes a Wii U console and two video games – with the store’s note: “Initial Problem Description from POS [Point of Sale]: Son Was Put on Naughty List, Had to Watch It Being Returned.”

The receipt, which was posted under the heading “Parenting done right” on Reddit, received nearly 400 comments — many of them mixed reactions. Some posters, like StarryMari, applaud the parent. “Good for those parents,” she writes. “Sometimes, you have to do stuff like this to send a message.” But others think the punishment was too harsh. Redditor Shinjuki writes: “There’s negative reinforcement and there’s humiliating your kid. This isn’t good parenting.”

Amy Morin, psychotherapist and author of 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do, says that returning the console – which retails for $300 – might have been extreme. “We don’t know the whole story, of course. Did the kid act up one time and do something really bad? Or was it weeks or months on end and the parents were pulling their hair out? Still, kids need rewards to work toward, so simply taking away his video game and allowing him to earn it back instead of returning it entirely might have been a better option,” Morin tells Yahoo Parenting. “That would be a way to encourage a fresh start rather than saying ‘here you could have had this and now you don’t get it at all.’”

But what if the parents had warned their son that this could happen? “Empty threats are never helpful,” Morin says. “But all parents have said things that are too extreme – like, ‘you’re never leaving the house until you’re 18’ – that went overboard. It’s important to say, ‘I overreacted. I was mad.’ And, in this case, ‘I’m not going to take the video games away forever, but you need to earn it back – and continue to earn it every day.’”

This isn’t the first case of public shaming posted on social media. More extreme examples include a father a who posted a picture of his daughter forced to wear pink barrettes, a Sophia the First backpack, and a shirt that said “I’m 10 Years Old” when he caught her secretly dating a boy and posting on social media. Another mom, after getting frustrated that her daughter refused to brush her hair, shaved her daughter’s head and posted the photo on Facebook. “Public shaming in general isn’t a good tactic,” Morin says. “When you do things to shame kids it damages their self-esteem, and the worst they feel about themselves, the more likely they are to misbehave. Kids who think ‘I can’t do anything right,’ tend to live up to that expectation.”

Still, in this case, Morin says at least the humiliation wasn’t especially public. The son’s name or face wasn’t posted online, and the image seems to be posted by a cashier at the store rather than a parent.

In the Reddit comment thread, plenty of users posted their own stories of Christmas gifts returned for misbehavior, so one thing is pretty clear: Whether or not he gets to play with it, the son will likely remember this gift forever.

Kid acts up, Has to watch xmas gift be returned. Good punishment? Yay or Nay. 57 votes

Yay...he has to learn a lesson and you have to follow thru
92%
DupacBender Rodriguezbull6599B_Anawledge_goddamnkpmike06zombiebighutchbigduece69obnoxiouslyfreshnillerthekidhueyCopperbigbird_1HustleThaDonMoore7sdamobb2deepspit_fiyariddlerap 53 votes
Nay....the threat should be enough
7%
StoneColdMikeyTonyDubbzNegro_CaesarTheManInBlack4.0 4 votes

Comments

• Moore7s
    Moore7s Members Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't reward bad behavior. That's what's wrong w society now.

More parents should take note
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dope, ain't nothin sweet. The foundation to good parenting is consistency though, so it's a moot point if you lettin him get off tomorrow.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Happened to me before
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He'll be alright, its all a part of life. You live and you learn, and sometimes you have to learn ? the hard way.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depends on what the kid did
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My son got one tracksuit and one pair of fresh kicks this year cause in Septemeber I bought that lil ? a new Samsung 4 mini and a scooter. He didn't have neither by November so I told him I aint getting him ? until he learns to look after the ? I buy him.

I realised this ? gotta 'easy come, easy go' attitude...basically a spoilt brat

I got a iPhone 5 chilling but I aint giving it to him till sometime in the new year...

He thought I nwas joking and he was disappionted as ? xmas morning...but I can see he learning..

He hasn't even been out cause he lost his phone so I cant get hold of him so that ? stranded at the house begging for a new phone talmbout he gon respect and love the phone and the money i spent...

Some kids gotta learn the hard way.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    My son got one tracksuit and one pair of fresh kicks this year cause in Septemeber I bought that lil ? a new Samsung 4 mini and a scooter. He didn't have neither by November so I told him I aint getting him ? until he learns to look after the ? I buy him.

I realised this ? gotta 'easy come, easy go' attitude...basically a spoilt brat

I got a iPhone 5 chilling but I aint giving it to him till sometime in the new year...

He thought I nwas joking and he was disappionted as ? xmas morning...but I can see he learning..

He hasn't even been out cause he lost his phone so I cant get hold of him so that ? stranded at the house begging for a new phone talmbout he gon respect and love the phone and the money i spent...

Some kids gotta learn the hard way.

my son the same way...

im going to make him live back in philly for the rest of the school year with his mom.

it doesnt sound like its that hard cuz its his mom....but it is
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm going to do the whole papa @zombie and papa Garvey approach. They raised good, intelligent and strong men so it works.
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good parenting.
    builds character.
    Now that kid is put on notice.
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The parent would of made a bigger life changing statement if they would of smashed the system to bits infront of the kid. When I was ? up in 5th grade my teacher called the house and my dad came in my room and slung my SNES against the wall like a boomerang then smacked the soul out of my face. 2 big Ls in less than a minute. Dead on impact but I brought my grades up and that prepped me for middle school workload. I came in late as teen one night and tried to brush my mom off with a smart mouth. She came in my room broke all the tone arms off my 1200s then Sat down turned the TV on to Charles Perez show and calmly broke over 30 records individually by folding them in half and tearing cover in half. I couldnt spin a record for 9 months and had to work my ass off to get my turntables fixed. Im glad she did that because i was acting like a ? ? by disrespecting house rules out doing dumb ? . It sent a strong message about humility, disicipline, gaining/losing in life.
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Naw yung bao shouldn't ov got 1 4m tha ? … bad ass lil ?
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Idk thats a slippery slope. Bc if a kid is bad or 'precocious' enough the lil ngga just aint never gon get ?

Tried to do the point system with my nephew when he would visit me, that ngga stayed in the ngatives. i think he figured it out eventually '? , im never gon recoup enough points to acquire any goods, i minus well turn up'
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Moore7s wrote: »
    Can't reward bad behavior. That's what's wrong w society now.

More parents should take note

Maybe they want they kids to act/be like them no matter what.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Idk thats a slippery slope. Bc if a kid is bad or 'precocious' enough the lil ngga just aint never gon get ?

Tried to do the point system with my nephew when he would visit me, that ngga stayed in the ngatives. i think he figured it out eventually '? , im never gon recoup enough points to acquire any goods, i minus well turn up'

LMAO
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Breaking it is much more effective its alot better than beating you child.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    The parent would of made a bigger life changing statement if they would of smashed the system to bits infront of the kid. When I was ? up in 5th grade my teacher called the house and my dad came in my room and slung my SNES against the wall like a boomerang then smacked the soul out of my face. 2 big Ls in less than a minute. Dead on impact but I brought my grades up and that prepped me for middle school workload. I came in late as teen one night and tried to brush my mom off with a smart mouth. She came in my room broke all the tone arms off my 1200s then Sat down turned the TV on to Charles Perez show and calmly broke over 30 records individually by folding them in half and tearing cover in half. I couldnt spin a record for 9 months and had to work my ass off to get my turntables fixed. Im glad she did that because i was acting like a ? ? by disrespecting house rules out doing dumb ? . It sent a strong message about humility, disicipline, gaining/losing in life.

? ....an people say im a tough parent.

thats some hard core mental punishment ? .
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1of1 wrote: »
    S2J wrote: »

LMAO

? aint funny man Lol verbatim:

me: alright you startin with -20 today, you need 10 to get these now n laters...uh, cmon you can do this

him in a nutshell:

229532.gif

• MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How old are these kids we talkin' 'bout in here ......... I would have left it in the box right on the table in front of the tv .... and told him don't touch it! that's punishment right there .....

When I was 9 and being billy badass, my pops bought a Tyco race track for my x-mas gift ........ He caught me flying the cars off the track and crashing them on purpose ...... he explained to me how much the track and cars cost and how much it would cost to repair and/or replace and I should take car of them ........ Right after the speech, I was back to flying the cars off the track again. Pops was ? ....... told me don't touch the track .... he went out brought another one, hooked the two of them together and had my uncles and cousins over playing all weekend and I had to sit there and watch ..... plus go get the cars if they flew off the track. He sat there with his belt in his lap and dared me to catch a attitude ...... worst x-mas weekend ever .... the whole family over playing with my track while talking mad ? and all I could do was sit there ......
    Treated that track with loving care after that event ........
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    MECCA1000 wrote: »
    How old are these kids we talkin' 'bout in here ......... I would have left it in the box right on the table in front of the tv .... and told him don't touch it! that's punishment right there .....

When I was 9 and being billy badass, my pops bought a Tyco race track for my x-mas gift ........ He caught me flying the cars off the track and crashing them on purpose ...... he explained to me how much the track and cars cost and how much it would cost to repair and/or replace and I should take car of them ........ Right after the speech, I was back to flying the cars off the track again. Pops was ? ....... told me don't touch the track .... he went out brought another one, hooked the two of them together and had my uncles and cousins over playing all weekend and I had to sit there and watch ..... plus go get the cars if they flew off the track. He sat there with his belt in his lap and dared me to catch a attitude ...... worst x-mas weekend ever .... the whole family over playing with my track while talking mad ? and all I could do was sit there ......
    Treated that track with loving care after that event ........

the bolded is some funny ?

but thing is....back then kids knew not to come at they parents wrong..

cant say the same now...kids be ready to fight they parents and people would be on their side against the parent.
  • GodSpeed215
    GodSpeed215 Members Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Breaking it is much more effective its alot better than beating you child.

? that ? , what about getting your money back. I might break some ? he already own but not some returnable stuff B.

Just Adrien Peterson his ass and beat him till his ball bag bleeds!
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DWO wrote: »
    posting it online is attention ? , but the act was pretty thorough.....

i woulda took the money, bought a pound of steamed shrimp, some crab cakes and a case of beer, and consumed that ? right front of the spoiled little brat

And I would have been over there free loading
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm going to do the whole papa @zombie and papa Garvey approach. They raised good, intelligent and strong men so it works.

the only way i would get christmas gifts would be if me and my brothers stopped fighting , that was never going to happen so from 8-14 I especially did not get ?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whoever wrote this article either doesn't have kids or they're a super parent. Leaving it in the house punishes the parent and they act like returning something to the store is a life long punishment. Returning the stuff sends the message I'm fed up and done ? around.
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He couldn't have been that disappointed, it's a damn Wii U. What's he really missing out on? Smash Bros? I woulda been disappointed gettin that as as a gift anyway. The lil knucklehead will be aiight.