Michelle Obama's School Lunch Mandates Continue To Fail

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
school-lunches-2.jpg

Obama kids school lunch...

Chefs-salad.jpg

The garbage cans are becoming morbidly obese at Rogers High School.

“We’re feeding trash cans a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables,” Robin Kinder, president of the Arkansas School Nutrition Association and assistant child nutrition director for Springdale Public Schools, tells NWAonline.com.

In addition to changing the lunch menu to make it “healthier,” the school sends students back into the line if they fail to take the required fruits and vegetables mandated by the overhaul of the National School Lunch Program.

“It would just go straight to the trash sometimes,” Estefany Corleto, a junior at Rogers High School, says of the foods students are required to take. “I think it was just a waste of food.”

The paper reports after the new regulations took effect, school leaders “could hear a steady ‘thump’ as the students discarded the food in the trash cans just outside the doors to the serving area.”

Kinder says requiring a salad “puts negative peer pressure” on students who might have taken it if they didn’t have to.

According to Kinder, low-sodium and low-fat foods weren’t developed with kids’ tastes in mind.

The low-sodium mashed potatoes, for example, were roundly rejected.

“I have never seen children throw mashed potatoes away,” she says.

Gone, too, is the Frito pie, which was a favorite. The chips had too much salt and weren’t whole grain.

Pickles can only be served with “certain meals.”

But the school is still serving french fries as the potatoes count as a vegetable.

Schools had to “file paperwork” to see relief from the whole wheat requirement.

School leaders are worried as they see costs going up and participation – that is, sales – going down.

“When the kids eat the meal we get paid for it. When the kids don’t eat the meal we don’t get paid,” says Margie Bowers, food services director for Rogers Public Schools.

“It may be a year, it may be a couple years before these programs have to go to the school board and say ‘Hey, we need you to bail out the program,'” Diane Pratt-Heavner, a spokeswoman for the School Nutrition Association, tells the news site.

“A few of the rules just go too far too fast,” Pratt-Heavner says

Comments

•   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can one stop relying on the damn schools to feed their kids?
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sure the Obamas pay a ton of money for their kids school tuition. Obviously the food would be better. Everything at their school is I'd assume.

I find this ? ridiculous as no school that I attended or know of in my city provided free meals or cheap payment plans for meals. Had to bring food or u didn't eat. By grade 6 I had to make my own damm lunch, or have enough money to buy somethimg from the cafeteria.

1st world problems. Someone up that thread that had all those struggle lunches from around the world.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think they be reaching with these representations of school lunches

I could be wrong parents what say you
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    as if school lunch aint always been ?

School lunch was ? , but it got you through the day.
    Which is the whole point of it.
    I was in school not that long ago so I remember getting more on a lunch plate than a small ? burger and a kiwi.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My mom always made sure I had packed lunch regardless cuz most the school lunches were nasty as hell back then(damn cardboard pizza). Maybe if the parents cared to fixed their kids a healthy home cooked meal for lunch they wouldn't have to rely on the school lunches fir taking care of their damn kids. We didn't have much when I was a kid but my mom made sure I'd always have food
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    School lunch is a privilege
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was in school not that long ago so I remember getting more on a lunch plate than a small ? burger and a kiwi.

I think most schools are getting more than that...I think that post is an exaggeration...you know white people
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My school had the G.O.A.T food. Ice cream on warm cookies. Pizza puffs. Cheeseburgers. Now and laters. Your parents had to put money on your school I.d.

Junior high and elemantry was the worst.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jamaican beef patty, Mexican pizza, and chicken nuggets day>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My school had the G.O.A.T food. Ice cream on warm cookies. Pizza puffs. Cheeseburgers. Now and laters. Your parents had to put money on your school I.d.

... We never got ice cream and pizza puffs...

? your school b
  • THIRDSUPREME
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Moms alway gave me 30 bucks a week for lunch. Poor people problems!

biDFHU0.gif

? ....that's 6 dollars a day for the school week. You were good around my way.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    Options
    reapin505 wrote: »

... We never got ice cream and pizza puffs...

? your school b

? that was every day!
    Cajun fries wit cheese on it .... man and we had open campus. My school was competing with fast food restaurants.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think most schools are getting more than that...I think that post is an exaggeration...you know white people

It is all my nieces and nephews get more than that.Just crackas crackin
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    let me get this straight... before michelle obama public school lunch was awesome and delicious?

The point is that she made school lunch/healthy kids her personal issue and the ? don't look no better
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? that school lunch was the ? . specially when you had people who got free lunch but didnt use they number. ? a ? was livin fat off them ? . and dont get me started on breakfast. ? had two chocolate covered cinnabons and a chocolate milk. damn i wish i could go back to school
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My child gets sent to school everyday with lunch so I can't comment
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel like this president is getting crucified down to the school lunch. I mean all presidents get crucified but white people (older ones mostly) are really showing their ass on this one. Obama needs to take a ? on the White House lawn the last day.

White America and their sense of entitlement.smh
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sound-like-one-of-them-good-problems-Marlo.png

These ? wanna b fat then let em. If that ish is free that's even worse.
    And muhfuckas wonder y Oprah built her schools in Africa
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Those hot cookies they used to sell were hittin though
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? was you in elementary school? what parent goes to eat at school with their high schooler?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So it's bad that the lunch menu includes vegetables?

Your obesity problem is getting bad when....