Macklemore admits to white privilege and says he needs to know his place in Hip-Hop

Options

Comments

• texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gemini86 wrote: »
    this ? is stupid to me. call me a ? but why is it ok to act like that. we do alot of ? that other cultures started and no one says anything. why do we have to act like that with rap music. if all cultures acted like that then there would be no room to grow in anything
    this ? is stupid to me. call me a ? but why is it ok to act like that. we do alot of ? that other cultures started and no one says anything. why do we have to act like that with rap music. if all cultures acted like that then there would be no room to grow in anything

? .

beat me to it
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol guess i just dont get it
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

True story

I mean look who invented basketball...
    naismith-e1380166411374.jpeg?w=287
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    BoogaSuga wrote: »

True story

I mean look who invented basketball...
    naismith-e1380166411374.jpeg?w=287

? neva claimed, to create basket ball or football.
    We dont deny white ppl from partaking in playing basketball.
    but, Let a ? go to a country concert, or a rock or jazz concert. U get hit with, the "what r u doing here" vibe..

Say im lying... Plzz

Those are our genres we created.What we're doing is, protecting hiphop.
    Kung fu/ karate is practiced globally... But we all know it came from the chinese culture. Hiphop is global, but ppl will say its not black culture, its everybodies culture.

Karate in Japanese not Chinese, Danielson

And even tho im not a fan... Macklemore is more hiphop than alot of black artists out right now. He came up on the music and respects it.

Hiphop sold out years ago on the real anyways so there is no "protecting it"

Thats like a 35yr old brother tryn give a hard time to his 30yr old ? sister's boyfriend.... she already been ? in all holes. Its too late
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Its laughable how people attack the white artists and not the society and attack the white artist and not the labels ran by mostly white people. Everybody picks on the iggys and macklemores because they are vulnerable. Yet i hear few posts critisizing the high powered white (and sometimes now black) execs who push dumbed down ? . Yes there is a place for ignant rap but you have execs pushing it overtime more than they do conscious rap.

And as far as the history with rock jazz and the blues while it started as white exploitation. But we killed the black blues rock or jazz artists by not supporting it. I went to a BB king concert and it was mostly white people at the show. Saw Buddy Guy again mostly white people. Go to many jazz events while black people still support it many times youll find yourself in a room full of white people. We stopped supporting those artforms and trina get more youngin ? in the studio to rap instead of teaching them jazz.

Ive been exposed to more black jazz and rock artists listening to dave matthews band collabs and shows online and ? clown that band. Leroi Moore, Victor Wooten, Future Man, Gary Clark Jr., Tower of Power and so on. But now 90% of ? think rock and jazz are for "crakkas".

The same thing will happen with conscious rap if we aren't careful. Yes cole and kendrick have larger audiences but why cant krit have a bigger fanbase? How come even in the south outside the IC not many black folk support him to the level of a cheif keef or lil wayne? We even admit Krit needs a hot single. But the method of a hot single has been changed by mostly white execs to being something that is more stupid and cliche than it was in the 90s.
  • FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    Its laughable how people attack the white artists and not the society and attack the white artist and not the labels ran by mostly white people. Everybody picks on the iggys and macklemores because they are vulnerable. Yet i hear few posts critisizing the high powered white (and sometimes now black) execs who push dumbed down ? . Yes there is a place for ignant rap but you have execs pushing it overtime more than they do conscious rap.

Artists have been attacking CEO/Execs
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FourEfil wrote: »
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

Artists have been attacking CEO/Execs

too many of them are still signing and resigning instead of going indy and too many are kissing the ass of the radio stations that control what gets rotated.

• Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Stupid ? mobile.

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First step's admitting it. Now he needs to PROVE he belongs here, and start putting out some fire.
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been saying the boys politics is rock solid but his music is corny.
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Macklemore ain't the enemy, dude genuinely loves hip hop and has been doing his thing for a minute
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    His music isn't for us, I agree but he at least knows his place. Iggy blatantly comes out actin like a stereotype and then runs to her ? (T.I.) when we attack her... I just can't wait until her time ends. Matter of fact, give her best new artist. No one who's won that award in any genre has stuck around.
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well didn't see that coming. I don't know any of his music past the debut track I think it was with some horns or some ? going off??

Can't recall the song now..

But hey, if he has a ? load of fans being white etc hopefully they too will acknowledge this sentiment of his and keep it in mind next time any white artists wins over a GOAT black artist in the past, present or future.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I respect Macklemore's talent and grind.he really grinded to get where he is.He seems like one of those white ppl who really gets it.I agree with what he said.He doesn't have to appease black ppl.He's a crossover act and could take the same attitude as Iggy.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Trashboat wrote: »

Well there's a history of whites basically taking whole genres of music away from Blacks that's why

It's not that simple

They didn't take Rock or Jazz away, they just flooded it
    there was no reason for them to be abandoned by the Black community though
    the only reason I can see is disdain for Whites

Flooding is just as well. When you have white folks being labeled "the King of Jazz" and "the King of Rock N Roll" pretty much means they have claimed ownership.

Just like they claimed ownership of sports, right?

Explain the decline in participation
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He gets it but his music is not for me.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? with Cant Hold Us. Beat and hook was dope.

But I think Macklemore is the most humble/ legit white artist in the genre. I truly believe his Jew costume was a warning for people looking to get into the industry.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well there's a history of whites basically taking whole genres of music away from Blacks that's why

It's not that simple

They didn't take Rock or Jazz away, they just flooded it
    there was no reason for them to be abandoned by the Black community though
    the only reason I can see is disdain for Whites

Flooding is just as well. When you have white folks being labeled "the King of Jazz" and "the King of Rock N Roll" pretty much means they have claimed ownership.

Just like they claimed ownership of sports, right?

Explain the decline in participation

Decline in who's participation in what?

• BoogaSuga
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    LOL we're gonna pretend like Black people took over basketball when every team owner except 1 is still white and every NBA commissioner has been white since the NBA's inception? White people are still the gatekeepers of basketball..Black people aren't the gatekeepers or Rock, Country, Jazz ..

Black folk run basketball. Period.

They may not make up the owners in the NBA but if every black player & coach left the league to start their own all black league it would ? on an all white NBA.

Same with football.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BoogaSuga wrote: »
    Stiff wrote: »
    LOL we're gonna pretend like Black people took over basketball when every team owner except 1 is still white and every NBA commissioner has been white since the NBA's inception? White people are still the gatekeepers of basketball..Black people aren't the gatekeepers or Rock, Country, Jazz ..

Black folk run basketball. Period.

They may not make up the owners in the NBA but if every black player & coach left the league to start their own all black league it would ? on an all white NBA.

Same with football.

Start an all black league with what wealth/capital? Just because Black players are the most marketable (exploitable) doesn't mean they "run" anything. "Run" implies power. The Black players in the NBA and NFL don't have power.