Macklemore admits to white privilege and says he needs to know his place in Hip-Hop

Comments

• BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My point was that the players run the power to shut down the league if they wanted.

But that would never happen because C.R.E.A.M.

NBA would not survive on Mark Madsens and Brian Scalabrines
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    BoogaSuga wrote: »
    My point was that the players run the power to shut down the league if they wanted.

But that would never happen because C.R.E.A.M.

NBA would not survive on Mark Madsens and Brian Scalabrines

You are right it wouldn't survive off of Madsen's and Scalabrine's but you have to factor in that not all black players will be willing to go forth playing in an upstart league. The NBA would use the fear of the unknown to draw the non Super-Star and Star players against each other by just pointing out that they can't afford to miss work like the headline players.

All they would have to do is put them against each other (which is the oldest trick in the book) and the NBA would have there players to market against the new league. I mean look at the ABA and how eventually it merged with the inferior NBA to form what we have today. The ABA had the better players, show and league overall but the NBA had deeper pockets
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A$AP_A$TON wrote: »
    If I was him I tell y'all ? kiss my ass. I earned this ? . What's more hip hop than not giving a ? bout people's opinion and doing you.

And what would "doing him" entail? Making a mockery of us by not acknowledging the foundation of our culture...like Iggy

cant have it both ways man.

• A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was him I tell y'all ? kiss my ass. I earned this ? . What's more hip hop than not giving a ? bout people's opinion and doing you.

And what would "doing him" entail? Making a mockery of us by not acknowledging the foundation of our culture...like Iggy

So black rappers don't do the same thing?
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    D0wn wrote: »
    gemini86 wrote: »
    this ? is stupid to me. call me a ? but why is it ok to act like that. we do alot of ? that other cultures started and no one says anything. why do we have to act like that with rap music. if all cultures acted like that then there would be no room to grow in anything

True story

I mean look who invented basketball...
    naismith-e1380166411374.jpeg?w=287

? neva claimed, to create basket ball or football.
    We dont deny white ppl from partaking in playing basketball.
    but, Let a ? go to a country concert, or a rock or jazz concert. U get hit with, the "what r u doing here" vibe..

Say im lying... Plzz

Those are our genres we created.What we're doing is, protecting hiphop.
    Kung fu/ karate is practiced globally... But we all know it came from the chinese culture. Hiphop is global, but ppl will say its not black culture, its everybodies culture.

Kung Fu is Chinese. Karate is Japanese.
  • onthafly
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    FourEfil wrote: »
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    Its laughable how people attack the white artists and not the society and attack the white artist and not the labels ran by mostly white people. Everybody picks on the iggys and macklemores because they are vulnerable. Yet i hear few posts critisizing the high powered white (and sometimes now black) execs who push dumbed down ? . Yes there is a place for ignant rap but you have execs pushing it overtime more than they do conscious rap.

Artists have been attacking CEO/Execs

too many of them are still signing and resigning instead of going indy and too many are kissing the ass of the radio stations that control what gets rotated.

Plenty of them go Indie. You just never hear about those rappers unless you look for indie music. Mainstream is always gonna be controlled by rich white people so we just need to stop ? with mainstream music. The internet is a ig place and it's a lot easier to find lesser known artists from other parts of the country.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    housemouse wrote: »
    this ? is stupid to me. call me a ? but why is it ok to act like that. we do alot of ? that other cultures started and no one says anything. why do we have to act like that with rap music. if all cultures acted like that then there would be no room to grow in anything

True story

but, Let a ? go to a country concert, or a rock or jazz concert. U get hit with, the "what r u doing here" vibe..

Say im lying... Plzz

Kung fu/ karate is practiced globally... But we all know it came from the chinese culture. Hiphop is global, but ppl will say its not black culture, its everybodies culture.

Actually, Karate could be considered a form of Kung Fu. Kung Fu basically means, the study and perfection of martial arts.
  • onthafly
    edited January 2015
    FuriousOne wrote: »

True story

Say im lying... Plzz

Actually, Karate could be considered a form of Kung Fu. Kung Fu basically means, the study and perfection of martial arts.

It could be considered a form of kung fu by a kung fu practitioner who wanted to credit the invention of karate to the chinese and if I recall correctly, it might have initially even made it's way into okinawa from china but modern karate is generally credited to the japanese and karate itself is a japanese word. Either way you're not completely wrong. I just wanted to point out the japanese origins of karate because I'm somewhat of a martial arts nerd.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    Trashboat wrote: »

Well there's a history of whites basically taking whole genres of music away from Blacks that's why

It's not that simple

They didn't take Rock or Jazz away, they just flooded it
    there was no reason for them to be abandoned by the Black community though
    the only reason I can see is disdain for Whites

Flooding is just as well. When you have white folks being labeled "the King of Jazz" and "the King of Rock N Roll" pretty much means they have claimed ownership.

Perfect example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WojNaU4-kI

This is the Original Dixieland Jass Band. They were an all Caucasian ensemble and in 1917 became the first Jazz band ever recorded in history. Of course, they went on to have instant national and international success because of it. The band members claimed to have created Jazz (hence the name) and said negros couldn't have possibly created the genre, despite it being played in Dixie Square (again, hence the name) in New Orleans since slavery.

I didn't know that
    Despicable ?

You seem to have the knowledge I don't so maybe you can kick facts on this:

Were jazz, house, disco, techno and rock given up without a fight?
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited January 2015

True story

Say im lying... Plzz

It could be considered a form of kung fu by a kung fu practitioner who wanted to credit the invention of karate to the chinese and if I recall correctly, it might have initially even made it's way into okinawa from china but modern karate is generally credited to the japanese and karate itself is a japanese word. Either way you're not completely wrong. I just wanted to point out the japanese origins of karate because I'm somewhat of a martial arts nerd.

I'm not even talking Origin. I'm talking concept of practice. Kung Fu is a concept. You know Chinese definitions don't work like ours. It is mainly referencing different forms of Martial Arts. Kung Fu itself is not a Martial Art. Karate is a Martial Art just like Tai Chi is. You are defining it in literal western terms. It applies to all forms of Martial Arts. It has been misapplied do to media. The Karate Kid remake was actually very accurate. He was basically initially practicing a Japanese style of Kung Fu (Martial Arts) called Karate, and he adopted a new style when he went to China.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited January 2015

Well there's a history of whites basically taking whole genres of music away from Blacks that's why

It's not that simple

Flooding is just as well. When you have white folks being labeled "the King of Jazz" and "the King of Rock N Roll" pretty much means they have claimed ownership.

Perfect example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WojNaU4-kI

This is the Original Dixieland Jass Band. They were an all Caucasian ensemble and in 1917 became the first Jazz band ever recorded in history. Of course, they went on to have instant national and international success because of it. The band members claimed to have created Jazz (hence the name) and said negros couldn't have possibly created the genre, despite it being played in Dixie Square (again, hence the name) in New Orleans since slavery.

I didn't know that
    Despicable ?

You seem to have the knowledge I don't so maybe you can kick facts on this:

Were jazz, house, disco, techno and rock given up without a fight?

Disco was literally assassinated (Disco Demolition Night) and House and techno was turned into euro trash music. Jazz evolved naturally into other Genres that we created, but they wouldn't even let us in to see the bands when it was first popping. See the Cotton Club. Intelligently, we created our own movement then with the Chitin Circuit.

• BoogaSuga
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited January 2015
    Disco sucked

Mainstream ? appropriated Disco sucked. Blacks made some good ass Disco music.
  • BoogaSuga
    Disco sucked

Mainstream ? appropriated Disco sucked. Blacks made some good ass Disco music.

Such as?

I followed a lot of soul singers careers and when the disco era hit it always seemed like the lowpoint of their discography.

Im open to suggestions if you got some tho
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

So black rappers don't do the same thing?

Black rappers make mockery of themselves but we have other black rappers that show those other ? the balance. White people who listen to mainstream hip hop are presented one form of rapper. Riff raff, iggy (obvious) kreayshawn etc are my examples..
  • BoogaSuga
    ^i'll peep them later when I got more time
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? care too much about the wrong ? .
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Man, you got some old wrinkled up white guys who dont give a ? about hip hop taking top cuts of album sales and making more than 2 or 3 times than the rapper who did all the damn work and controlling how our mainstream hip hop sounds like and yall too busy telling only little ol iggy and macklemore to "know their place"?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we hinted to the real problem on page 1.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not that simple

Just like they claimed ownership of sports, right?

Explain the decline in participation

Decline in who's participation in what?

Black folks in musical genres they birthed and now seem to have just abandoned

Why give up on them?

This argument is separate to the ? Edison-tactics White profiteers have used to maximize profits btw
    i'm in no way defending that

I just don't see why Black Americans can't still dominate these Genres
    We would be hard pressed to find a guitar player who doesn't consider slash a great shredder or Hendrix one of the best performers of all time
    From where I'm sitting it just looks like Black musicians are in this box genre wise
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015

It's not that simple

Just like they claimed ownership of sports, right?

Explain the decline in participation

Decline in who's participation in what?

Black folks in musical genres they birthed and now seem to have just abandoned

Why give up on them?

This argument is separate to the ? Edison-tactics White profiteers have used to maximize profits btw
    i'm in no way defending that

I just don't see why Black Americans can't still dominate these Genres
    We would be hard pressed to find a guitar player who doesn't consider slash a great shredder or Hendrix one of the best performers of all time
    From where I'm sitting it just looks like Black musicians are in this box genre wise

Once anything goes mainstream it loses its edge, its flavor, and its soul. The Rock of today and various subgenres are a far-cry from what it came from. It's unrecognizable. Once white people catch on to something they drive the genre in a way that deviates from the taste of most Blacks. As a result, it's often split of into something new. Black rock artists started doing soul because what started passing for Rock became less and less appealing to most Blacks.

It's like if white rappers overrun rap music, than rap music will just start to become corny to the point nobody Black would want to do it and Blacks won't wanna listen. Would be artists would start to express themselves in a different way.
  • IAmDopeSmoke
    IAmDopeSmoke Members Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiff wrote: »
    LOL we're gonna pretend like Black people took over basketball when every team owner except 1 is still white and every NBA commissioner has been white since the NBA's inception? White people are still the gatekeepers of basketball..Black people aren't the gatekeepers or Rock, Country, Jazz ..

Black folk run basketball. Period.

They may not make up the owners in the NBA but if every black player & coach left the league to start their own all black league it would ? on an all white NBA.

Same with football.

Start an all black league with what wealth/capital? Just because Black players are the most marketable (exploitable) doesn't mean they "run" anything. "Run" implies power. The Black players in the NBA and NFL don't have power.

All i ever hear on this site is talk about needing our own. Build our own...

If the black players left the league it would be all over for the NBA. People would still love basketball and would pay to watch an all black league.

They make up like 80% of the league so i can say they "took over" imo

"If"

How did they take over when they only see a small fraction of the revenue that they're generating?

Hypothetically speaking if they were to pool their resources and have a mass exodus from the NBA to form a new league, that would be great. But let's not act like there wouldn't be a fresh new batch of willing Black players that would eagerly replace them. The NBA would just use their vast marketing dollars to create new stars.

And there would be no sudden leaving. These ? are under contract.

Coby made 30milli and u call that small revenue? U must not know how much it cost to keep the NBA up and running?
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited January 2015
    Black folks didn't give up a damn thing. We kept it moving and evolving. The music always changed form. White folks just johnny come lately and over do it but we been on to the next thing. At least, it used to be like that. It's why you the blues turned into Jazz, R&B, Funk, Soul, Disco, House and Hiphop. I have issues with the history being obscured regardless of that fact. The entire time, white folks have been writing the history their way and telling us we didn't do ? . Our kids come to believe that no matter what you tell them, because the narrative is that pervasive.